Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has added the remote start feature to their 2019+ Subaru Forester if not equipped from the factory, and if so does it work with an app, as advertised. I know some of these types of accessories are country specific and although you can all install the product not all countries will have app compatability, ie. Canada.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
141 Posts
2019 Premium. The app works over StarLink. It is independent of the remote start accessory.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
447 Posts
@QMaze So with a push button start car in Canada you don't get Starlink remote start feature from the factory? You have to add-on accessory?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@QMaze So with a push button start car in Canada you don't get Starlink remote start feature from the factory? You have to add-on accessory?
That is correct, its an addtional $650 installed with taxes to get the remote start kit, and from some further research it appears I also have to purchase a subscription to make it work thru the phone app for Subaru Starlink to control it. Apparently.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I just heard back from the dealership and my 2019 Sport will not work with the app so no point wasting $600 for a key fob. They said the app will work on 2020 models. Not surprising why Subaru just lost its lawsuit against the Starlink system. Canada has a lot less features then the US market from what I've been told about the system. I was hoping the hardware install included a GPS module because I'm sure that's how its all connected .

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
I'm using the app to remote start my US 2019 Sport. It did not come from the factory with the remote start w key fob. I didn't have the $500 or so for it so I did the app. It was $99 for 3 years but I didn't purchase it right away so for me it was $65 for the remainder of my first 3 years. After that it's a monthly cost but am hoping either they offer me the $99 for 3 years or I'll hopefully have the money for the key fob remote start by then.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Starting 2020, it looks like you won't need to invest money in the remote start key fob in Canada, if you have the Starlink connected services. Up to 2019, Starlink in Canada was not available with connected services (i.e. Starlink and Starlink connected services is not the same thing) and apparently can't be retrofitted for any pre-2020 models. I specifically asked Subaru Canada and this is what I got as a response:

My questions:
Hi, could you do me a favor and confirm a few things for me regarding the 2020 Forester and StarLink? 1) Is it true that the 2020 Forester now comes with Connected Services for the first time? 2) Is it true that Connected Services now offers remote engine start (incl. Climate Control) for Canada, for any 2020 Forester model that has CVT, keyless access with push-button start and automatic climate control? 3) Am I correct in my understanding that in order for the remote start with Starlink connected services to work, the car does not need to be equiped with a remote start key FOB? Thank you in advance for your help.

Response (end of September):
Hi Daniel, Yes the 2020 Forester comes with Subaru Starlink Connected Services with remote engine start with climate control on Convenience Trims and up. This means, not the base Forester trim. The Convenience trims and up do come with push button start. The base Forester trim comes with key entry only. To activate remote engine start on Convenience and up, you will use an app on your cellphone, it cannot be activated through your fob. Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be rebranded to StupidLink. Honestly, I think Subaru markets a lot of false advertising, even on the Subaru Canada website, it states the Sport has navigation, which it doesn't on it's own.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me being my first Subaru and it may seem petty but charging an owner a subscription to use features doesn't bode well for me anyway, I think in today's competitive market, seasoned Subaru owners will overlook because they just like the brand and that might even fizzle out, the Infotainment system in Canada offers nothing, its just an archaic am/fm radio, even the heated seat switches are right out of the 80's, lol.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
I almost didn't buy mine (my first Subaru) because remote start via key fob wasn't standard equipment like many other brands.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
309 Posts
@hogtownrocketsled Just wish they added the option to control the heated seats. I believe the Limited & Touring has the option within the App, but U.S. based Sports do not (yes I have heated seats).

·
Registered
7 Posts
My push-button-start US '19 Sport, remote starts using the MySubaru phone app. I did need to upgrade the Starlink subscription. It lets me set the front & rear defrosters, air temp, fan speed, in/outside air.
I am happy that we will get that experience in Canada now too, starting 2020.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Should be rebranded to StupidLink. Honestly, I think Subaru markets a lot of false advertising, even on the Subaru Canada website, it states the Sport has navigation, which it doesn't on it's own.
Where did you see that? It says "Available only on the Sport trim level" under the "8-inch Infotainment System".

Definitely not the best way to word it, but I did see it anywhere saying, that the Sport comes with Navigation, or it is possible to get it with Navigation (except for Android Auto or Apple Carplay of course).

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
424 Posts
@hogtownrocketsled Just wish they added the option to control the heated seats. I believe the Limited & Touring has the option within the App, but U.S. based Sports do not (yes I have heated seats).
Maybe because of the hard switches in the Sport. I guess the higher trims have a soft switch.
I find the seat heaters work really well. If it looks like the morning will be cold, I'll just click my seat heater on low when I get out.
What I really like is having a clean windshield when I get ready to drive.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
128 Posts
Maybe because of the hard switches in the Sport. I guess the higher trims have a soft switch.
I find the seat heaters work really well. If it looks like the morning will be cold, I'll just click my seat heater on low when I get out.
What I really like is having a clean windshield when I get ready to drive.
I have a 2019 Touring (US) and I have hard switches for the heated seats. The new Outback/Legacy have soft switches in the head unit. Can you turn the switch on for the seats before leaving the vehicle then when you remote start the seats heat?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
188 Posts
Nope. Have limited w/ heated seats, but they are not controllable through the app. Air temp, fan speed, and defrost are, but not seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2020 CDN Limited model, second from highest model, and I can't even get Starlink to work or the my subaru app for that matter. For some bizarre reason my subscription isn't registered. I have called in a couple of times and all I get is a voice message saying they will call you back which they have not. Not too impressed with the whole lot. I have contacted Subaru Canada and they haven't responded either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts