Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
E-mail came in this morning. 馃槉 I'd be curious what fixes this includes (besides maps, of course).

Registered
2019 Forester Touring
9 Items displayed during update:

1. RH850
2. ? Didn't catch what #2 was
3. System Files
4. Mini Filesystem
5. GraceNote
6. Speech
7. Nav SW
8. Map Data
9. XM

Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
Discussion Starter #6
@George's Subaru In Los Angeles, the download via Map Downloader fluctuated between 2MBps and 11MBps (I'm on 200Mbps Cable); it took about 30min in all. The car install was about 20 minutes or so.

The changes I am seeing so far in this update....
  • Unplug phone now shows no audio symbol (crossed out speaker) rather than just switching automatically back to radio. 馃槉 馃帀 馃帄
  • Voice Command for switching to SXM stations by name (e.g., Jazz, Lithium, etc.) works again. I notice this seems to stop working whenever there's a big change to the channel lineup.
  • Nav maps were updated again. I am pleased to see some of the map corrections I sent 1-2 months ago were included.
  • CarPlay audio quality seems better, it is either nearly the same or indistinguishable from BT audio now. (iPhone 7 with iOS 14.3) --I normally leave CarPlay disabled but this seems like an improvement.

Registered
2019 Forester Touring cvt
@George's Subaru The last version took about 14 hours with HughesNet satellite internet. I downloaded it twice and it didn't save to my usb either time. An expensive waste.

Registered
2019 Forester Touring
Took about an hour to download to PC then load onto USB 3 flash drive.
Update on screen in car after flash drive plugged in started out fast, display saying 鈥1 of 9鈥 up to 鈥7 of 9鈥 took only about 5 minutes. Then it seemed frozen for 20 minutes before stating that system was rebooting. Reboot took 5 minutes. So total time sitting in the Forester with engine running was 30 minutes.

Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
@rville I have 100 mbps download at home, and the update took over an hour to download. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this was because of high demand on the server. Downloads of similar size seldom take that long for me.
I plugged in the USB drive containing the update on leaving home for a drive that normally takes about 20 minutes. There were nine segments, and it seemed like No. 8 was going to take forever. It showed 1%-2% for about five minutes, then moved quickly through the rest of the progress bar. I think it was maybe 15 minutes to install all of it. My reboot didn't take as long as rville's did.
I use primarily CarPlay for navigation, as Google Maps links to my calendar. When I start the car, CarPlay/Google Maps shows whatever appointment I'm going to, and offers to set the place as a navigation destination. I've also found that voice commands via Siri are more reliable than the Subaru voice interface. I just started a volunteer gig, delivering Meals on Wheels to shut-ins, and I used the voice interface to load the various destinations into navigation. I'd been using Siri/Google Maps, but tried the voice commands with Subaru navigation today. It took three tries to get the correct address loaded, when it worked at all. If I didn't have Google Maps available via CarPlay, I would be very disappointed with this navigation system.

Registered
Use at least a 3.0 USB device, huge difference in the download speeds (for me at least).
The big issue about length of time is the internet provider (not the USB device). I use a wired connection (not wifi) to my HughesNet satellite service. I am on vacation for a week and started another download at 2AM today (I don't have the data cap from 2-7AM). The download suspends frequently (possibly the Maps server's fault but it could also be HughesNet not being consistently fast enough) so I have to watch it like a hawk. It is now 7.25 hours later and I am only at 35%.

One thing that I will confirm when completed is that my USB 3 memory stick is formatted to NTSF based upon this thread:
2021 - Loading map update to USB - keep getting errors? - SOLVED!
('19+) - 2021 - Loading map update to USB - keep...
Best wishes to those with similar troubles, ri

Registered
Dang... I just checked and the USB is NTSF. I will try a complete NTSF format (not a quick one).
Now at 39% with 12hours 8minutes to complete download per the Maps download monitor.

Registered
Successful download and transfer to USB after 16.5 hours of monitoring the process. Now, if I can get it to transfer to my Foz this week my life will be complete. :cool:

Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
Dang... I just checked and the USB is NTSF. I will try a complete NTSF format (not a quick one).
Now at 39% with 12hours 8minutes to complete download per the Maps download monitor.

Mine was done on a mac. It took about an hour (or less) to download. Non 3.0 USB device the time was 7 hours. My internet is coming from a cable company.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts