Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Subaru enthusiast! I am a newbie to this forum. I would like to start modding my 2019 Forester Sport and I am interested in getting all terrain tires. Does anyone have any recommendations on tires if I use my stock wheels? Tires I have researched are the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, Toyo Open Country A/T, and the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail. Does anyone have experience with these brand of tires?

Or recommendations if I decide to get new tires and wheels? With my research, I have noticed that the BF Goodrich A/T K02 are highly used for off roading, but I'm not sure which size tire and corresponding wheel would work (without rubbing)?

I use my car mostly for commuting to work, but I would like to start taking it out the trails and off-roading for weekend adventures. I currently do not plan on lifting my vehicle, but it is something on my list of things to eventually do.

If anyone has any advice on additional modifications please let me know! Thanks! :)

· Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
95 Posts
@J_Subaru_Forester2019, welcome to the forum! Like Kevin said there are a lot of great resources here. Check out the Proven set ups discussion under wheels and tires. There are some discussions about A/T tires as well. Here’s one that I found helpful. A/T tire help. There isn’t too much out there in an 18inch wheel that’s will fit the forester besides what you have found using the stock wheels. The toyos and falkens have great reviews. Some other options if you go to a 17 inch wheel or smaller would be the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, Continental Terrain Contact A/T, and the Hankook Dynapro 2.
The Coopers are pretty awesome and are a great choice. A few of my friends have them and love them. They too are commuting with off-roading on the weekends. I’m planning on getting a pair when my current all season are dead. I spend most of my time commuting on the highway / back roads.
The BFG K02 is a great tire but really expensive and very heavy. Might not be a good choice for commuting with some off-roading mixed in.
In terms of size and rubbing the proven setups discussion I linked above will have info in it. For 17inch wheels the Coopers in 235/60/17 will fit. And I believe 2265/17 is the tallest size you can go with no lift or rubbing. The stock sized tire for 17 inch wheels is 225/60/17. Wheel wise go for whatever fits your taste and style. The methods racing MR 501, MR502, LP Adventure LP1s, and Sparco terras are all popular wheel choices. In terms of the offset it comes down to what you are looking for with stance and set up. The stock offset is 48mm on the majority of the foresters. The big limiting factor is the front spring perches. They sit out pretty close to the inside edge of the wheels. If you lift your car you have to be aware that the offset will be affected by the lift too. The proven setups discussion with have a lot of this info there. You can also use a wheel and tire size calculator to help determine how the new wheels and tires will fit. Hope this all helps.

· Registered
2019 Forester CVT
34 Posts
If you're planning on getting LP wheels, don't get the +20 offset if you plan on doing heavy off roading. I have the +20 with 235/65/17 Wildpeak AT and without a lift you will 100% rub if it gets bumpy even on a regular commute. I have a 2 inch lift and my front still rubs when I offroad on pretty difficult terrain which may cause me to roll my fenders.

· Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
248 Posts
The proven setups page sounds like a good idea but I had a terrible time trying to find what i was looking for there. It's kind of a mess.

Reactions: Natedog

· Registered
2017 FXT
83 Posts
While my 2017 XT is not your exact model year, I did switch to the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 on my stock 18's. My fuel mileage went down 0.5-1mpg (hand calcuated). No noticeable noise increase and they drive well in all different climates/terrains (summer dry, rain, snow, rocks, gravel). No rubbing issues on my vehicle, as they are the same size as a stock tire. In general, I think you are pretty safe running a stock sized all terrain tire. I could be wrong on the 2019, though!

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
298 Posts
I've got the Falken Wildpeak Trails in the stock size on my '19 forester sport, tiny bit more road noise, but honestly, between it, and the stock road tires, you won't notice it. I'm also in the same boat as your, no lift (yet), and it's my daily driver/commuter car. As for the MPG, I honestly haven't noticed any difference between them, and the stock tires, but I didn't start manually recording my mpg until after I got them.

They've also impressed me off road as well, haven't lost traction yet!

As for sizes with the trails, a lot of people go 235/55r18s, and least a couple with 225/60r18s on their sports. Haven't heard of rubbing on either. In retrospect, I wish i went 225/60r18s but didn't want to take the chance when I got mine, since I hadn't seen anyone using that size yet for the SK foresters.

· Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
248 Posts
I've got the Falken Wildpeak Trails in the stock size on my '19 forester sport, tiny bit more road noise, but honestly, between it, and the stock road tires, you won't notice it. I'm also in the same boat as your, no lift (yet), and it's my daily driver/commuter car. As for the MPG, I honestly haven't noticed any difference between them, and the stock tires, but I didn't start manually recording my mpg until after I got them.

As for sizes with the trails, a lot of people go 235/55r18s, and least a couple with 225/60r18s on their sports. Haven't heard of rubbing on either. In retrospect, I wish i went 225/60r18s but didn't want to take the chance when I got mine, since I hadn't seen anyone using that size yet for the SK foresters.

What is your mileage like? I'm getting ~30mpg on the stock tires.

· Registered
2021 Forester Sport
8 Posts

I have rally armor mud flaps, do you think the 225/60/18 would rub the harware? (2021 Sport)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts