Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited Auto
23 Posts
I ran into the same issue, and fixed it the same way: hold in the button on the liftgate itself for at least 7-8 seconds. The gate will eventually pop open, and you can lift it yourself.

If the problem returns, I would strongly encourage you to take it back to the dealer and request a warranty repair. Even though this rates "mildly annoying" for most of us, and even though there might not be an immediate fix, it will help all of us to start a paper trail with Subaru.
My 2018 Forester has been doing that since I've owned it. Doesn't matter if I press the hatch button long or short duration; I end up staring at it then go to the key remote.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
6 Posts
I have been experiencing this issue (I go to open the rear gate and I just get the 3 beeps) on an increasing basis and when I called the dealership to ask if they was anything else besides the "work-around" of resetting the motor. They told me that SOA has now acknowledged certain VIN 2019 Foresters got "motors/units with a hardware issue that is not resolvable with software" and therefore there is a new part to address this issue. Upon running my VIN the dealership told me that mine was just outside of what SOA said was the affected group, but they were ordering the part for me anyways and would contact SOA about it for me also. Once I get that new part number and any more info I will post it here.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
I have been experiencing this issue (I go to open the rear gate and I just get the 3 beeps) on an increasing basis and when I called the dealership to ask if they was anything else besides the "work-around" of resetting the motor. They told me that SOA has now acknowledged certain VIN 2019 Foresters got "motors/units with a hardware issue that is not resolvable with software" and therefore there is a new part to address this issue. Upon running my VIN the dealership told me that mine was just outside of what SOA said was the affected group, but they were ordering the part for me anyways and would contact SOA about it for me also. Once I get that new part number and any more info I will post it here.
I had whatever the part was replaced including the latch, and now the tailgate opens reliably. Hope the same happens for you!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
12 Posts
After eight incidents of the power rear gate not unlocking, I finally called my service dealer on Monday and they confirmed that there was a TSB for the PRG and that my vin number was eligible for a replacement module. So a tech performed TSB 07-143-18R and replaced the rear hatch module and updated software today. The part number is 63350SJ004. Hope this is end of story.🤞
I had the part identified in this tsb installed a month ago and have had no further problems.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Mine wasn't opening no matter what I did. And a day later when it finally opened I noticed that the little fabric pull tab (to get to the storage/spare tire) had been facing the back and looked like it had been pinched. So I bent it towards the front and put it in under the cargo mat. So far, so good.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2019 Touring. The rear liftgate all of a sudden won't open, no matter whether I'm long-pressing the button on the key fob, the power liftgate button at the lower left of the steering wheel, or the physical button on the actual liftgate itself. It worked fine up until today, now nothing. Whichever method I use it gives me 3 beeps to show there's some kind of error. I've locked and unlocked the car numerous times. I've driven the car and locked and unlocked it in several locations. When I try to open the rear gate by any method, I always get those three beeps and it never opens. Any advice?

Update - Resolved!

It turns out I had to take it to the dealer to have it "reset". I asked if that would be something I could do myself if this ever happened again. The answer was no, bring it to them.

The service technician said the cause of this was likely trying to close the automatic liftgate manually using too much force.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Just press and hold the button on the gate, through the beeps, until it beeps again and pops open. Push the gate all the way open, use the button to close it... Good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone else having problems with this? Bought the car in June and in the first week, instead of opening it beeped three times. I was travelling, not close to a dealership so loaded luggage in through the back seat. It reset itself after 3 days. It has now done this five times - each time resetting itself after a few days. I don't have a dealership in my town so a trip to one is time consuming.
Is there a workaround? Is this a known problem? The dealer told me it was due to mis-alignment of the back weather mat. Not so.
Getting very frustrated!

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
35 Posts
It shouldn't happen, but it does. There have been threads about it. Take it to the dealer and notify SOA about it.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
@ianc1 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Your thread has been merged with this existing thread on the same subject.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
179 Posts
@ianc1 Attached is a TSB which might apply to your car. A revised control module was provided starting with VIN numbers greater than KH536059. If your VIN predates, you may be in line for an updated module. Your car's symptoms seem to match those described in the TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Plus CVT
7 Posts
2019 Forester. My rear door was locked closed. Would not open.

Solution....get back in car...close all doors, push button to open tailgate from dashboard and...hatch opens and everything is back to normal.

great fix. Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
I've had this issue for 6 months since getting the 2019 Forester. Took the vehicle in today for the 6 month oil change and asked the dealer to look at the rear lift gate and specifically flagged TSB 07-155-19. They confirmed that my car was affected by that issue. They luckily had one (and only one) of the revised ECM for the rear lift gate, and swapped it out. Here's hoping this resolves the issue. If you're having the "three beeps" problem, consider taking it to the dealer. This fix has been out for a while now, and at least my dealer wasn't surprised by the problem or the fix.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
134 Posts
Started having issues with liftgate a few weeks ago. Took it to dealer yesterday. They replaced module, but still had problem. They then replaced new module and lift gate now works. Original "fix" module was bad. Wasn't a problem except it took a long time to diagnose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester Sport. I was so excited to have a power lift gate, because my last Subaru ( 2016) did not have that feature. I picked up my car at the end of May, and had my first Liftgate Incident, 2 weeks after. I went on line and read the suggestions and Held down the Latch and it eventually opened. Since then, it has happenned about 7 times. Once at the Airport - talk about stressful, when you cann't get your suitcase out of the car! The last straw was today, in the Cold, Icy weather with a cart full of groceries. I spoke to a Subaru representative once, who told me I was not opening it correctly - Wrong!! I am so disappointed. I am calling my dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the opposite problem. The door wouldn't latch closed. I disconnected the negative cable and pushed the brakes 3 times to discharge any caps. Hooked it back up and it now latches and works like normal.

My VIN is well above KH536059

Did they fix the original problem and now instead of the system failing locked it fails to unlocked?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 2019 Touring. The rear liftgate all of a sudden won't open, no matter whether I'm long-pressing the button on the key fob, the power liftgate button at the lower left of the steering wheel, or the physical button on the actual liftgate itself. It worked fine up until today, now nothing. Whichever method I use it gives me 3 beeps to show there's some kind of error. I've locked and unlocked the car numerous times. I've driven the car and locked and unlocked it in several locations. When I try to open the rear gate by any method, I always get those three beeps and it never opens. Any advice?

Update - Resolved!

It turns out I had to take it to the dealer to have it "reset". I asked if that would be something I could do myself if this ever happened again. The answer was no, bring it to them.

The service technician said the cause of this was likely trying to close the automatic liftgate manually using too much force.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

221 - 239 of 239 Posts