Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2019 Touring. The rear liftgate all of a sudden won't open, no matter whether I'm long-pressing the button on the key fob, the power liftgate button at the lower left of the steering wheel, or the physical button on the actual liftgate itself. It worked fine up until today, now nothing. Whichever method I use it gives me 3 beeps to show there's some kind of error. I've locked and unlocked the car numerous times. I've driven the car and locked and unlocked it in several locations. When I try to open the rear gate by any method, I always get those three beeps and it never opens. Any advice?

Update - Resolved!

It turns out I had to take it to the dealer to have it "reset". I asked if that would be something I could do myself if this ever happened again. The answer was no, bring it to them.

The service technician said the cause of this was likely trying to close the automatic liftgate manually using too much force.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mine has this issue i refuse to reset my computer every 4 weeks I have a 2019 with 8500 miles for me to fix my own car at this mileage is rediculas just came back from dealer for 4th time for this problem they will fix it or face lemon law

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
41 Posts
'19 Touring here. Ours ceased to open one (1) time in the last three months we've had it. No lie, scared the hell out of us, thought we couldn't get our groceries out of the back!

Followed the directions in the manual to override it; thankfully, it hasn't happened since. The override is to hold down the release button until the latch disengages, then manually lift it. Worked fine after that, it's been weeks since it happened (knock on wood), and it's only been the one time.

Anecdotally, our '18 Terrain had a power lift gate as well, and it did glitch on us once while we are at Costco getting groceries. We couldn't get the lift gate to open, it refused completely so we loaded everything in the back seat; however, it worked fine when we got home. shrug.

For me, groceries have been the main culprit. :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
2 Posts
My rear hatch will not unlock, you have to crawl through the car to unlock from the door. They have reset it at the dealer, but there must be an easy way to do it yourself as this is not a recall issue, but is vey maddening when you are trying to load up the car with groceries, etc...

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
635 Posts
Subaru posted a TSB in May that describes a new Power Rear Gate module. It doesn’t specifically mention the 3 beep failure, but my guess is this is the replacement part that others have received.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161826-9999.pdf

Just got our module replaced when we had our 2019 Forester Touring in for a Windshield replacement (another story - both done under warranty). The work order states they used part number 63350SJ004 (the module listed in the TSB ends in ....002) Looks like they further revised this control module. Our Forester was within the VIN range covered by this TSB.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
5 Posts
After eight incidents of the power rear gate not unlocking, I finally called my service dealer on Monday and they confirmed that there was a TSB for the PRG and that my vin number was eligible for a replacement module. So a tech performed TSB 07-143-18R and replaced the rear hatch module and updated software today. The part number is 63350SJ004. Hope this is end of story.🤞

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also have a 2019 Subaru Touring and the same happened to me. My solution - I pressed the button on the lift gate and held it for a few seconds; let go and waited a couple of seconds and then pressed the button again and the gate opened. Didn't have to take to the dealer - and I don't think this is or should be necessary.

Dan
Thank you so much for this quick fix...you were a lifesaver

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
thanks for this...my trunk would not open this morning, just three beeps. held the button on trunk for 10 seconds. reset. 4200 miles. Will get update when I am for oil change.

After eight incidents of the power rear gate not unlocking, I finally called my service dealer on Monday and they confirmed that there was a TSB for the PRG and that my vin number was eligible for a replacement module. So a tech performed TSB 07-143-18R and replaced the rear hatch module and updated software today. The part number is 63350SJ004. Hope this is end of story.🤞

·
Registered
2019 Forest Touring
12 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester Touring. This morning the automatic rear gate will not open. When I try using the key fob or the button on the gate itself I hear 3 quick chirps and nothing happens. I'm hoping I pushed a button somewhere and disabled it, rather than having to go back to the dealership.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you use a key-fob for keyless entry, use it to reset the rear gate power assist.

Start by locking all doors (top button). Then unlock/disarm all doors (press subaru blue button quickly two-three times. See page 128 of the 2019 Forester owners manual). Finally press and hold the rear-gate-unlock-button. The first time it may need a manual assist to open the gate. Then
it should open normally if you follow the above steps.

Be careful with tall packages interfering with a successful gate close. I think this triggered my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TSB 07-143-18R has to do with power steering box I believe. I have a 5000 mile service call set for today. I will ask about tailgate. Mine has locked up 4 times in 5 months since I bought 2019 Forester Touring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Outback and the hatch door would not open no matter what I did. I disconnected the negative cable to the battery...heard a faint beep sound (reset?) ..reattached the cable and the door worked after that!!!!
Worth a try if you are having hatch door issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Forester Touring. This morning the automatic rear gate will not open. When I try using the key fob or the button on the gate itself I hear 3 quick chirps and nothing happens. I'm hoping I pushed a button somewhere and disabled it, rather than having to go back to the dealership.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Kyle
I have a 2019 Forester Sport. I bought it December 14, 2018. They serviced the rear gate for this issue 4 days later on December 18. It continues to happen ever since, although it seems to right itself after a few days. It's probably happened 10 to 12 times since I bought it. On July 5, 2019 they replaced a module under TSB 07-155-19R. That didn't fix it, but you should take it to the dealer and have them try that. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow over this issue and I have had several discussions with Subaru of America. You and I aren't the only ones with this problem, but I don't have a sense that Subaru is trying very hard to resolve it.

By the way, 3 quick chirps means the damn thing isn't going to open!

Hope you have better luck than I've had,
Forrest

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
140 Posts
I took mine to the dealership today to have this issue fixed. They "couldn't replicate the issue" so they refused to do any work. Of course they couldn't replicate the issue. I have done numerous resets and disconnected the battery to reset and (temporarily) fix the issue. I'll place a call to SOA on Monday and express my frustration with the inconvenience (and the suspect dealership) hopefully as a next step in resolution of this issue. It is going to be a significant inconvenience to have the rear gate lock up and refuse to open when the rear cargo area if stuffed and I'm 400+ miles form home (because that's when the issue will crop up again, obviously).

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
5 Posts
I took mine to the dealership today to have this issue fixed. They "couldn't replicate the issue" so they refused to do any work. Of course they couldn't replicate the issue. I have done numerous resets and disconnected the battery to reset and (temporarily) fix the issue. I'll place a call to SOA on Monday and express my frustration with the inconvenience (and the suspect dealership) hopefully as a next step in resolution of this issue. It is going to be a significant inconvenience to have the rear gate lock up and refuse to open when the rear cargo area if stuffed and I'm 400+ miles form home (because that's when the issue will crop up again, obviously).
Let us know how that goes. They told me the same thing that they couldn’t replicate it and I don’t know what else to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to my dealer for first oil change last week. They ask me if I have any issues so I mentioned rear gate does not open sometimes. They replaced the ECU as someone mentioned before.

·
Registered
2019 SPORT
51 Posts
I was at dealer getting oil chg on my 2019 sport and told service advisor I had to open my rear gate manually to get it to open and then it worked after that and it happened a couple of times, (I already knew how to reset it) and asked him if there was a 'fix' for that......he said the rear gate is just like power windows and sunroofs, and the manual 'reset' is something that just has to done every now and then, and that there is nothing wrong with it. I said thanks and walked away. It seemed pointless to pursue with him.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anybody have an issue also with the gate not closing softly? Mine almost never closes with the secondary soft close. Always slams. Also seems like it doesn’t retract well when obstructions touch it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem.

I held the rear tail gate button in for about 10 seconds and pulled the tailgate and it moved freely.

I then closed it using the remote don andnit was all back to normal.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts