Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
8 Posts
After 3 visits, they finally received it when the lift gate on our 19 touring wasn't working. They said a TSB was issued about 3 days ago to address this issue, and they had ordered a new control module. Haven't found a copy of the actual TSB yet...
I haven't seen the TSB yet either but I'm going in tomorrow for a new controller as well. I'll see what I can find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2019 rear hatch not openng

Called dealer about this and was told that it will not be a "Recall" item" it will be a "Repair on Demand" item. They are ordering the part and will call me for an appointment when it comes in.

I don't think DOT would like this move!

Meantime, I disconnect both battery terminals and touch them together for 30 seconds. All is fine except al my pre-sets and personnel driving modes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
8 Posts
I haven't seen the TSB yet either but I'm going in tomorrow for a new controller as well. I'll see what I can find out.
New controller installed yesterday. Service writer confirmed that there's a TSB but didn't want to dredge it up for me. I'm OK with it not being a recall but less OK with the hoops they want you to jump through before actually fixing the problem. It probably saves them some money but it takes a half-day slice out of my life every time I have to drag the thing back to the dealer. The cost isn't avoided, it's just pushed off onto the customer.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
8 Posts
dang, need to read up on this forum more. I will try the 10 second hold and see about bringing it in to the dealer...

yesterday I get out of Lowes with small items plus 80lb's of water softener salt and 5 gallon metal bucket of wood sealer for some simple DIY's at home to a freaking gate that won't open. Was like making a home improvement run with a Civic... trying to fit stuff in the back seat....ugh.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
179 Posts
Can the rear hatch be opened from inside the Forester? I tried the button on the lower left panel and it only beeps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me as another . Keeps happening. Been to dealer twice, another appt this week. Thanks for the work around. Got it working. Dealership told me there is no bulletin for issue, Suburu of America says there is, called dealership, left message and no response. Maybe it's time to hit social media and consumer reports. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
40 Posts
Can the rear hatch be opened from inside the Forester? I tried the button on the lower left panel and it only beeps.
Yes. The instructions are in the owner's manual. Page 429.

You basically have to take a flat head screwdriver and pop off the center, rear lift gate interior panel, and then manipulate a recessed lever.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
8 Posts
Add me as another . Keeps happening. Been to dealer twice, another appt this week. Thanks for the work around. Got it working. Dealership told me there is no bulletin for issue, Suburu of America says there is, called dealership, left message and no response. Maybe it's time to hit social media and consumer reports. This is ridiculous.
Either your dealer is lying or my dealer is lying. As mentioned above, my dealer said there's a service bulletin, ordered the replacement part, and installed it. Since then I have had no problems with the rear gate, after having it crap out on me twice before the fix was applied. Based on my experience, I'm gonna say that my dealer has a better relationship with the truth than yours does.

Keep hammering them until they fix the thing. This is not ridiculous; it is waaaay beyond that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
Either your dealer is lying or my dealer is lying. As mentioned above, my dealer said there's a service bulletin, ordered the replacement part, and installed it. Since then I have had no problems with the rear gate, after having it crap out on me twice before the fix was applied. Based on my experience, I'm gonna say that my dealer has a better relationship with the truth than yours does.

Keep hammering them until they fix the thing. This is not ridiculous; it is waaaay beyond that.
Subaru posted a TSB in May that describes a new Power Rear Gate module. It doesn’t specifically mention the 3 beep failure, but my guess is this is the replacement part that others have received.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161826-9999.pdf

·
Registered
2019 Forester
8 Posts
The part specified in the TSB is 63350SJ002. My dealer replaced mine with part #63350SJ004. At parts.subaru.com, there are FOUR (!) variants of the rear gate controller listed: -001, -002, -003, and -004, with -004 being the current part, superseding the others.

FWIW, the TSB states that -002 was introduced with VIN KH461629. Mine is about 35,000 later than that.

All of this is consistent with the idea that rear gate controller firmware has been a persistent problem and that Subaru has taken multiple stabs at fixing it.

Link to parts.subaru.com page for this part: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__Forester/ECU-POWER-REAR-GATE/78739983/63350SJ004.html

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
77 Posts
As of yesterday, the button above and to the right of the license plate on my 2019 Forester Premium (mileage 2,458) produces nothing but one beep and one flash of the lights. But the tailgate doesn't open. The gate still works from the fob and from the dashboard switch but not from the button above the licence plate. And it still closes using the other button in the bottom of the tailgate.

Ironically, the electronic tailgate was the one option that I didn't care if the Forester came with or not.

Electronics.... aaargh!
I had a similar problem and learned that you must push the rear button on the door very quickly. If you hold your push too long, it will confuse the computer and the door will start to open, but then close and lock again. just put your finger on the rear door button and press and release it very quickly and see if that fixes it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
The part specified in the TSB is 63350SJ002. My dealer replaced mine with part #63350SJ004. At parts.subaru.com, there are FOUR (!) variants of the rear gate controller listed: -001, -002, -003, and -004, with -004 being the current part, superseding the others.

FWIW, the TSB states that -002 was introduced with VIN KH461629. Mine is about 35,000 later than that.

All of this is consistent with the idea that rear gate controller firmware has been a persistent problem and that Subaru has taken multiple stabs at fixing it.

Link to parts.subaru.com page for this part: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__Forester/ECU-POWER-REAR-GATE/78739983/63350SJ004.html
I just noticed a new TSB on the NHTSA site which specifically talks about the dreaded "three beeps error" and it says this issue is addressed by the new ECU 63350SJ004. So @ThreeOfThree you're definitely right about part -004 being the one that seems to fix this issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How
I just noticed a new TSB on the NHTSA site which specifically talks about the dreaded "three beeps error" and it says this issue is addressed by the new ECU 63350SJ004. So @ThreeOfThree you're definitely right about part -004 being the one that seems to fix this issue.
do I look up other TSB’s ? I found a site that lets me preview them but not see whole report like you just shared

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
How do I look up other TSB’s ? I found a site that lets me preview them but not see whole report like you just shared
I just look periodically at the NHTSA website and look for the "Manufacturer Communications" which seems to include the TSBs relevant to the vehicle you're looking up. For example here's the 2019 Forester's. There may be other/better ways to find them, in particular because the NHTSA seems to be about a month behind when the TSBs are actually released. But that's what I do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just look periodically at the NHTSA website and look for the "Manufacturer Communications" which seems to include the TSBs relevant to the vehicle you're looking up. For example here's the 2019 Forester's. There may be other/better ways to find them, in particular because the NHTSA seems to be about a month behind when the TSBs are actually released. But that's what I do.
Thank you so much! Do you know if it is normal to bring up repairs like this to the dealer. do they have to fix them if under warranty?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
So i had the same problem 2 days back. My battery had died as the roof light was left on overnight.
I had to jump start the car. The power lift gate won't open. I read somewhere to stop the engine and try again with 10 secs press on the tail gate. After driving for 1/2 hr i stopped and retried. Didn't work. I kept the car off and then drove another 2 hrs. Before i retried and tail gate breathed back to life. It looks like a manufacturer defect that everybody is complaining of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My power lift gate wont open either. only had my 2019 Sport for 1 week. Really don't have time to take it to a dealer. I wonder what they do for a "reset"?
To fix this problem with your lift gate.. go into your radio and go to settings..click on car icon..then go into unlock all doors when you in park..this will solve your problem.I had the same problem until i noticed that my doors would not unlock when i put it into park...Problem solved..

181 - 200 of 239 Posts