Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2019 Touring. The rear liftgate all of a sudden won't open, no matter whether I'm long-pressing the button on the key fob, the power liftgate button at the lower left of the steering wheel, or the physical button on the actual liftgate itself. It worked fine up until today, now nothing. Whichever method I use it gives me 3 beeps to show there's some kind of error. I've locked and unlocked the car numerous times. I've driven the car and locked and unlocked it in several locations. When I try to open the rear gate by any method, I always get those three beeps and it never opens. Any advice?

Update - Resolved!

It turns out I had to take it to the dealer to have it "reset". I asked if that would be something I could do myself if this ever happened again. The answer was no, bring it to them.

The service technician said the cause of this was likely trying to close the automatic liftgate manually using too much force.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To those who are experiencing this problem, make sure you read this post in this thread by @forester022519

The power lift gate problem should not be an issue requiring an emergency visit to the dealer if you're armed with his great advice. Print out his post and keep a copy in the glove compartment!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My power lift gate wont open either. only had my 2019 Sport for 1 week. Really don't have time to take it to a dealer. I wonder what they do for a "reset"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
SAME problem. SOOO FRUSTRATING! Just had our brand new 2019 back to the shop because of a brake issue on Friday and then this!!! We are approx 45 miles from a dealership! Thank goodness for the internet! We found a post that said to disconnect battery and wait a minute to reconnect it to allow a reset. IT WORKED!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
@gigi2twins Thanks for the info. Not looking forward to having to reboot this thing like it's a Windows 95 computer just to be able to open the lift gate...Haha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue today. The rear lift gate wouldnt open with the 3 beeps. Disconnected the negative cable from the battery and waited about a minute. Hooked it back up and i could hear the motors on the gate cycle. Thx forum dudes, it now works. Hopefully there is a software fix they can come up with to cycle the motors if they end up in a stuck position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also have a 2019 Subaru Touring and the same happened to me. My solution - I pressed the button on the lift gate and held it for a few seconds; let go and waited a couple of seconds and then pressed the button again and the gate opened. Didn't have to take to the dealer - and I don't think this is or should be necessary.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
another interesting discovery...on a 2019 Forester. Drive into the garage....wife (driving) opens her door and pushes the open tailgate button on her door....tailgate starts to go up. I (passenger) then open my door to get out.....tailgate stops going up!!!!!! I am hard pressed to think of a situation where this is a good or "safer" design.....

Solution....get back in car...close all doors, push button on door to close the hatch...then after it's closed, push it and sit in the car with the doors closed while the hatch opens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have this same issue happen to me yesterday on my 19 touring. I followed your solution and it works. Thank you for saving me a trip to the dealer or disconnecting the battery.

Seems like this is a common problem for the auto lift gates. I hope Subaru can have a perma fix for this. unless this is the nature of using auto lift, then I wish there is an alternative way to open it mechanically like a garage door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried holding the rear hatch button and this is what happened. I pressed and held the rear button. It gave me the three beeps. I continued to hold the button through the beeps without releasing it. After about 5 or 6 seconds (just hold it until this happens however long that may be), the car gave me to the two unlocking beeps and lights flashed. The hatch proceeded to raise about a quarter of the way and then close again and gave a flash/beep confirmation. it worked normally after that. So basically, just press and hold until it did its own reset is what it seemed like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ran into the same issue, and fixed it the same way: hold in the button on the liftgate itself for at least 7-8 seconds. The gate will eventually pop open, and you can lift it yourself.

If the problem returns, I would strongly encourage you to take it back to the dealer and request a warranty repair. Even though this rates "mildly annoying" for most of us, and even though there might not be an immediate fix, it will help all of us to start a paper trail with Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. I was super pissed because I had just left costco with a bunch of groceries and a crying baby when stupid tailgate wouldnt open. Car is less than 2 weeks old. Unacceptable. Didnt know what to do at the moment. I really hope I didnt pay all that money for a car with a rear lift gate issue.

Im trying the battery fix now and will try holding the button down next time it happens - hope to god it doesnt happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2019 Forester - I can't get the rear tailgate to open. I get the normal two beeps then 3 more quick ones.
No motors running, nothing happens except the beeping. I've tried locking and unlocking all the doors, starting & stopping the engine. The unlock on the doors works OK. Dealer can't look at the car until Monday. Wish there was a manual unlock function.

I've got things that I need to get out of the car, and they won't fit thru the side doors.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have you tried pushing the button manually or just the key fob? My 2017 Touring has issues like that on occasion when I use the key fob system rather than the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happened to me once. The dealer reset the system by unplugging both battery connections and touching them together for 2 minutes. Plug them back and gate should work properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 ways to open the rear hatch: using the key fob, the button on the dash, and touching the area above the rear license plate. None of these methods work.

While I appreciate your replies, the car is still under factory warranty, and only has 450 miles on it. I will leave any electrical connecting & disconcerting to the dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are 4. Pressing and holding the hatch button for 3-5 seconds disengages the power and allows you to open it manually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As of yesterday, the button above and to the right of the license plate on my 2019 Forester Premium (mileage 2,458) produces nothing but one beep and one flash of the lights. But the tailgate doesn't open. The gate still works from the fob and from the dashboard switch but not from the button above the licence plate. And it still closes using the other button in the bottom of the tailgate.

Ironically, the electronic tailgate was the one option that I didn't care if the Forester came with or not.

Electronics.... aaargh!

·
Registered
424 Posts
So you are saying both buttons on the hatch don't work? The upper right button won't lock the doors?

1 - 20 of 223 Posts