Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for different Forester videos and I came across one from Subaru Canada that talks about rear gate pin access and how to set it up. It states you can set up a numerical code to unlock the trunk even without the key. Is this a Canada ONLY feature? Can anyone confirm it works on the US models? My Fozzy is at the dealership getting looked at so I'm unable to confirm myself. I found this to be super exciting! I have definitely locked keys in the car before. lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.. Just found an older thread on exactly this topic but no one mentions where they're from. Oops.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
If you have push to start on your Forester, the doors won’t lock with a fob in the car. You can override this safety feature by wrapping your fob in foil, if you wanted to leave your fob in the car.
Yes American versions have pin access as well.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
Page 117 of the 2019 manual has instructions for setting the pin code.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
359 Posts
I found this video very helpful in setting mine up. More detailed step-by-step than the above video.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
85 Posts
If you have push to start on your Forester, the doors won’t lock with a fob in the car. You can override this safety feature by wrapping your fob in foil, if you wanted to leave your fob in the car.
Yes American versions have pin access as well.
There are instructions in the manual to tell you how to disable the fob by pushing buttons on the fob (instead of wrapping it in foil).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased a Faraday Pouch (RFID Pouch) online and put the key in that, seems easier than tin foil or disabling the key fob.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
214 Posts
I just set my pin up today. The biggest problem I had was which button to push just before entering the pin code. The manual (Pg 117) says to push the unlock button until you hear a beep, didn't work, you just have to push the unlock button once. Disabling the key is easy, open the driver door and manually lock the door, then just push the lock and trunk (hatch) button at the same time for 5 seconds. To enable the fob, open the door, lock it manually and press the buttons again.

I'm not sure I'd try this far from home though, still testing it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
258 Posts
This all works as described in the manual. Although it's easier if you watch the videos.

Not wanting to take the PTS fob while kayaking, I used a RFID pouch to allow locking the fob inside the car. Much easier than remembering the fob disable/enable sequence. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts