Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base '19 Forester, just wondering if it's possible to add the rear gate LED flood light that's on the Sport and above version to the hatch? Is the wiring already in place? Has anyone tried this? The part is available. I'm super happy with car as is, but it would be useful to have that illumination when loading and unloading stuff. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?!? It sort of seems like a useable upgrade, especially if it's easy to pop in. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
910 Posts
There's a thread where someone bought an extra dome light and cut a hole in the headliner above the cargo area and installed the dome light in there. Older Foresters had another dome light there, new ones don't have it. I think the person who put that extra dome light in ran wire down to the side light in the cargo area.

I don't have a 19 so don't know anything specific about it other than it doesn't have a turbo.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
124 Posts
First, the light in the hatch of the Sport is only in the Sport and not in any other model. I believe others have verified that the wiring is not present in the hatch of the other models. I just bought a strong battery powered LED light and velcro'd it to the cover where the Sport light is. Really lights things up.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
Generically speaking; its possible. It's easier to tap into the existing light then fish a wire to where you want the light in the headliner, not the hatch. Fishing the wires from the existing light is a bit fiddly but IMHO less work than doing the hatch thing. I did this on my '15 but there probably isn't much difference in the '19. Its just trim.

GD

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
564 Posts
LED flood light is being generous for the factory light. It's pretty mediocre. A battery tap type light mounted in each corner of the hatch door might be a better option as new wiring is not simple.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Manual 6-speed
71 Posts
Subispeed had an led for the lift gate, but that might only be up to the 18 model year

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,475 Posts
@Humancapo -
Considering that automatic rear gates can have problems, would it be a good idea to make warranty voiding modifications to it?
Probably not.
Battery powered LEDs use very little power and a set of batteries can last for years.
Like @nds said, just Velcro it to an appropriate spot on the hatch if you need more light.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Advance CVT
32 Posts

this fits nicely in the rear door. You plug and play from the rear cargo lamp. About 1 hour install. Faster if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,081 Posts
@Humancapo , This might be helpful. Lengthy discussion with succcessful, but involved and expensive, addition of the Sport model light feature into a non-sport 2019.
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/trunk-light-upgrade-to-led.794451/

In a different post, someone (a tall person) complained about the shadow he cast back into the rear cargo area making the in-hatch lighting not at all helpful in lighting the cargo area, and useful primarily for the area immediately outside the car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
143 Posts
I have a 2019 Sport and am only 5'9" and I still block the light from the liftgate. The light should have actually been on both the left and right sides of the liftgate not centered where most people would be standing (blocking the light).

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
358 Posts
@Humancapo , This might be helpful. Lengthy discussion with succcessful, but involved and expensive, addition of the Sport model light feature into a non-sport 2019.
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/trunk-light-upgrade-to-led.794451/
My install is included in that post. To your point, it wasn’t cheap - but it is one of the best mods I’ve done. I’m a taller individual, and have not noticed a significant shadow. Though, it should be noted, the light mostly illuminates the area of ground below the open hatch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can try this one, it should fit in no problem

·
Registered
3 Posts

This is what I installed easy install with a wire coat hanger and some patience. Very bright and they have individual switches too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,081 Posts
Thanks @Squid769. Can you post some pics of them installed, in daylight? I’m interested in the fit and finish. Really can’t tell much from the website pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts