Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not really an oddity when Mercedes, Lexus, Subaru have all used them, along with a few others I'm probably forgetting right now. Oh, infiniti. Nissan too.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
141 Posts
My 2017 Forester factory LED definitely needed adjustment after I received the car. Turned out that the light pattern was much better after I adjusted it down! The pattern still cannot match that from my 2013 Accord LED. I swapped my fog light halogen with LED bulbs and that turned out to be a game changer. Never got flashed by oncoming traffic either. Unfortunately, I cannot have high beam and fogs on at the same time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2017 Forester factory LED definitely needed adjustment after I received the car. Turned out that the light pattern was much better after I adjusted it down! The pattern still cannot match that from my 2013 Accord LED. I swapped my fog light halogen with LED bulbs and that turned out to be a game changer. Never got flashed by oncoming traffic either. Unfortunately, I cannot have high beam and fogs on at the same time.
What's the benefit of using fogs with high beam?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What's the benefit of using fogs with high beam?
None if it's foggy. It actually makes it harder to see in the fog as the highbeams reflect off it. Thus why fogs are off with highbeams. And honestly I used to run with fogs on as often as I could until I realized in most cases the fogs don't help and are more of a distraction as I need to pay attention 100+ feet ahead and not 5 feet in front of me. That super bright light just feet in front desensitizes the eyes making it harder to see far away in the more poorly lit areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RidingWV

Are yours self-leveling headlights?

My '17/'18 are, and you get used to it, or on a completely dark/empty road, just drive with your brights on.
Self leveling headlights on a 17/18 forester? Are you sure? Can you refer to any official documentation of this because I don’t think it is a feature.

·
Registered
48 Posts
None if it's foggy. It actually makes it harder to see in the fog as the highbeams reflect off it. Thus why fogs are off with highbeams. And honestly I used to run with fogs on as often as I could until I realized in most cases the fogs don't help and are more of a distraction as I need to pay attention 100+ feet ahead and not 5 feet in front of me. That super bright light just feet in front desensitizes the eyes making it harder to see far away in the more poorly lit areas.
This is the point I'm getting at. There are so many mistaken notions about effective vehicle lighting here. There's absolutely no benefit to having fog lamps on with your high beams, and possibly a disbenefit, as you correctly and astutely observed, and researchers have similarly observed.

The amount of money people will throw at any sort of supposed "improvement" in lighting is ridiculous. People will spend endless sums of money chasing some non-existent safety benefit such as cheap LEDs because somehow an overseas factory employing basically slave labor has figured out LED headlight bulbs when no American or European corporation, researcher, scientist, and engineer has figured out how to build an acceptable LED bulb.

I swapped my fog light halogen with LED bulbs and that turned out to be a game changer. Never got flashed by oncoming traffic either. Unfortunately, I cannot have high beam and fogs on at the same time.
The SAE "F" type fogs that the Forester has are based on standards dating back to the 1970s, which means they're useless past 50 feet. Swapping out to LEDs likely saturated the foreground, which gave you the false impression of better lighting, and as mentioned above, there's no need for fogs to be on with the high beams. High beams are meant to illuminate out to 500+ feet. Fogs, even the state of the art ones, hit maybe 100 feet. Even at 25 MPH, we'd be hard-pressed to come to a complete stop in time for something 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. In other words, fogs and high-beams are built for completely different driving speeds--fogs are meant for crawling along at sub-25 MPh speeds; highs are meant for spotting objects at 50+ MPH.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
112 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,680 Posts
Self leveling headlights on a 17/18 forester? Are you sure? Can you refer to any official documentation of this because I don’t think it is a feature.
Yes, I'm sure. I have a '17 and a '18 XT - Touring and they both have it. It is a feature. Turning on the car has the headlights moving side to side as well as up and down.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
98 Posts
You will see a small white plastic nut facing back towards the driver's door. Around the edge of that nut/wheel is a toothed metal edge. Just above that, on the main housing, is a semi-open "tube" or channel to insert a long, flat-head screwdriver. Put the screwdriver down through the channel and twist to turn the toothed wheel and adjust the light up or down. Passenger side is a mirror image in reverse.
I tried to adjust the headlights on my 2019 Touring last night. I could visually determine that the toothed 'wheels' were turning, but I could not see any change in where the lights were hitting the garage door fron 20 feet away. I found that a #2 Phillips engaged the teeth perfectly. I do have the Steering Responsive Headlights and the manual hints that I might have self leveling lights although I can't verify that. Based on the adjuster positioning, I assume the upper adjuster is for left/right and the lower adjuster with the long screwdriver groove is for up/down.
So what am I missing? How many turns of the screwdriver does it take to get a meaningful change?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The change you're looking for is in the order of centimeters.

It's best to mark the wall so you know exactly what kind of adjustment you're making.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester
121 Posts
We also bought the '18 base model so it doesn't have the fancy headlites. I just went out and turned the headlites on in the garage and I see the lite housing is made so it has a straight portion at the top which I believe is what makes the straight line in the top of the lite beam. Don't know if this is made for the lite beam or for looks but I agree it can cause lighting problems.
Mike

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I tried to adjust the headlights on my 2019 Touring last night. I could visually determine that the toothed 'wheels' were turning, but I could not see any change in where the lights were hitting the garage door fron 20 feet away. I found that a #2 Phillips engaged the teeth perfectly. I do have the Steering Responsive Headlights and the manual hints that I might have self leveling lights although I can't verify that. Based on the adjuster positioning, I assume the upper adjuster is for left/right and the lower adjuster with the long screwdriver groove is for up/down.
So what am I missing? How many turns of the screwdriver does it take to get a meaningful change?
Sorry I can't help you. The Subaru tech showed me how, but he had already adjusted them and they are fine now.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts