Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With push button start, you get 2 transmitters.
You simply leave a transmitter in your pocket, backpack, purse. Walk up to the car, grab the door handle to unlock the doors. Get in, push the button to start. Push the button the stop. Get out, and touch the door handle to lock the doors.

The transmitter also has the familiar buttons to lock, unlock doors, and open the back.

Inside the transmitter is an emergency key which can be used to lock the glove box, or open the drivers door in case of a battery issue with the car or the transmitter.

Looking at getting a third transmitter, the internet had a lot of choices, and after some research, I could get a new one from the dealer for the same price as a used/refurbished one from some unknown seller.

The list price at the dealer was $120, and with a 20% off parts coupon, the cost was $96. The charge for Service to program was $45. Note that this will be my road-trip emergency key, so I did not buy the blank emergency key (key plate). Cutting it would have been an additional $45. So for $140 I have an new third transmitter. (I can always add an emergency key later)

Subaru makes it (near) impossible to lock one of these "keys" in the car. So for road-trips, I'll put it in a Faraday bag (or you could wrap in aluminum foil) and hide it somewhere in the car. If I were to lose the transmitter that I was carrying, I could open the car using the pin code on the back. Fetch the spare, and be on my way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.
I can unlock the car with the pin code. I can unlock the car with my phone. I can start my car with my phone.
But without a physical transmitter, the car cannot be driven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts