Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What l have to do is give them the Code that is stamped on a little plate attached to the spare key ring.
Order it then wait about 10 days. Then just pick it up and ready to use.
THIS FOR CARS IN AUSTRALIA
Hope someone can do better.
Cheers
The code on the plate is only to cut the emergency key, which opens the drivers door and glove box lock.
The new fob still needs to be programmed for your car

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The blank un-cut emergency key, the "key plate" sells for $45 from the dealer. Plus another $45 to have it cut to your key code. It should be free or cost like $5 max. I ordered one from eBay for $7 that said it was for my fob (per the FCC ID on the back of the fob) and it's a twin of the OEM part, and most likely is the OEM.

I don't have a need to have it cut, but it is needed if you want to attach the fob to a key ring, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
93 Posts
The blank un-cut emergency key, the "key plate" sells for $45 from the dealer. Plus another $45 to have it cut to your key code. It should be free or cost like $5 max. I ordered one from eBay for $7 that said it was for my fob (per the FCC ID on the back of the fob) and it's a twin of the OEM part, and most likely is the OEM.

I don't have a need to have it cut, but it is needed if you want to attach the fob to a key ring, etc.
Thank you hogtownrocketsled for continuing with such detailed information. Sure is irritating that it has to cost so much just to be able to open the car door if you get locked out.
About the emergency key cutting, I'm wondering if a locksmith could do the cutting; can't figure out why it should cost so much to do that if you have a working emergency key to copy. otoh, I haven't actually taken mine out of the fob to look at it; I suppose it's not just a simple key. Next chance I get, I'll stop by locksmith and ask

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I suppose it's not just a simple key. Next chance I get, I'll stop by locksmith and ask
It’s a “laser cut” key. (Not cut with a Laser, but a Mill) My neighborhood locksmith doesn’t have the machine to cut it. If you have the little metal tag that came with your keys, that’s the code for cutting the e-key.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts