Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Push button start comes with 2 fobs. I’d like to get another. I see fobs available online but says you need to have a locksmith do the programming. Anyone done this yet? Any ideas what it would cost?

·
Registered
424 Posts
@hogtownrocketsled I helped an elderly couple replace both lost fobs 1-2 years ago. The fobs were about $160ea. IIRC the dealer charged $24 to cut the valet key. The programming for the fob was done by a mobile service as the car was in their garage which was way more. Don't know what the dealer gets just to program.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@aggie113 Yeah, I would do that anyway, before actually buying and proceeding. The question was if anyone in this fine community had already done so for a 2019 push to start Forester or similarly equipped Subaru and if so, what was the ballpark price and who did the programming for you. If I got the info from this fine group that it was an expensive or p-i-t-a process, then I’d just pass on the idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
@Peja The OP is referring to the Remote Start Keyfob, not a regular key as no MY2019 keyfob (either regular key or push-button start) has a built in remote start function.
@Whitesc The push-button start comes with 2 "Access key fob"s as Subaru calls them. Just wanting a 3rd. Need it programmed. Not looking to have the Emergency key cut.
@hogtownrocketsled made no mention of remote start, only push button start. which comes with two fobs both containing a valet key inside the fob. He also made no mention of not wanting the valet key cut in original post.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fob contains an emergency key in the fob, not a valet key. It is used to open the drivers door is case of a battery failure, and can be used to lock the glove box.

Anyone with a push-button start would understand exactly what I was asking for. I see fobs available online in a number of places, was only looking for experiences with programming an additional fob.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Clearly nobody on this site knows what it costs to program. Why not just call your dealer and a locksmith and report back to us! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Push button start comes with 2 fobs. I’d like to get another. I see fobs available online but says you need to have a locksmith do the programming. Anyone done this yet? Any ideas what it would cost?
I've gone this with other cars, and it's easy for the owner to do usually. Here is a link to a YOutube video describing the process for the 2019 Forester.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing you might ask your dealership about the 2019, is, when we got our 2017 Forester, we were told a 2nd fob was on backorder as the salesman lost one. They programmed the new one for free (needed both fobs at once) and then when the lost fob was found, they gave it to us, but told us it can't be programmed - to save it for a day when we might need it, as ONLY TWO fobs can be programmed at one time. Programming a 3rd would invalidate one (or the first two if not done at the same time).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@kurbits Per the owners manual my 19 will support up to 7 fobs.

I picked up the new one at parts on Saturday and walked over to Service. They could do it then for me. When I put the 2 existing fobs and the new one on the counter, he told me it only supports two. I told him it supported 7. He went and asked, and 7 was the winner.

I now have 3 working push button start fobs.
It’s always best to do your homework before taking with the folks at Service who should know better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to read you acquired your extra fob. If you dont mind me asking ,how much did the dealer charge ??
I have had one quote so far for between 7 to 8 hundred dollars.for the same ..2019 key fob and programmed an with emergency key cut .Price was a dealer s/e subs Melbourne
Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The list price at the dealer for the fob was $120, and with a 20% off parts coupon, my cost was $96. The charge for Service to program was $45. Note that this will be my road-trip emergency key, so I did not buy the blank emergency key (key plate). So for $140 I have an new OEM third transmitter.

The blank emergency key "key plate" from parts is another $45 list, plus $45 to have the dealer cut it.
Since the fobs attaches to stuff from a hole in the emergency key, I ordered a key plate from eBay for $7. Says it fits. We'll see.

So the list price from the dealers parts and labor for a new fob, including getting and cutting a new emergency key, is $210 USD

·
Registered
2 Posts
The list price at the dealer for the fob was $120, and with a 20% off parts coupon, my cost was $96. The charge for Service to program was $45. Note that this will be my road-trip emergency key, so I did not buy the blank emergency key (key plate). So for $140 I have an new OEM third transmitter.

The blank emergency key "key plate" from parts is another $45 list, plus $45 to have the dealer cut it.
Since the fobs attaches to stuff from a hole in the emergency key, I ordered a key plate from eBay for $7. Says it fits. We'll see.

So the list price from the dealers parts and labor for a new fob, including getting and cutting a new emergency key, is $210 USD
Thanks for your reply. That looks like a good deal
Didn't realize you were in the US..Thats why l was a little confused with your Prices.
My latest price from another dealer in Melbourne's S/E in Australia was better at a flat $600 AUS
What l have to do is give them the Code that is stamped on a little plate attached to the spare key ring.
Order it then wait about 10 days. Then just pick it up and ready to use.
THIS FOR CARS IN AUSTRALIA
Hope someone can do better.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts