Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Does anyone have recommendations for how to best protect the interior plastic from scratches? On the 2019 Forester (I suspect on other model years as well), the interior plastic panels scuff and scratch with only the slightest of force. I'd like my interior to look great 20 years from now. I'm thinking along the lines of film that can be applied to it to provide similar protection to the 3M exterior film. The problem with the film idea is that the interior plastic panels are textured, which doesn't work well with films.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring CVT
57 Posts
I've read that "Dash Away" is pretty good and I've been using that. I've used Aerospace 303 on my previous vehicles and its also good, but the smell is a love hate relationship.

TS out (looking at my shiny dash)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up picking up some Mothers VLR to clean up scuffs on the soft surfaces (e.g. from sunblock, etc) (worked amazingly) and Aerospace 303 for protection. I don't notice the smell from the Aerospace 303. I can't say yet how well it does with protecting the soft surfaces. I don't expect it to provide any protection for the hard plastic surfaces.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
47 Posts
I’m not a fan of the shiny plastic around the screen, it seems to scratch just by breathing on it. Trying my best to keep it clean.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same thought, just not kick the doors, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to not at least knock the doors with my feet some. It's only a matter of time before it starts looking really bad.

I emailed 3M to see if they make a film that would stick to textured plastic; they do not. I might end up getting the Subaru panels, at least for the doors. I still need to find something for interior plastic parts. The wheel well humps in the trunk area are the areas I'd really like to get protected.

·
Registered
2019 Premium w/eyesight
71 Posts
My speakers look scuffed as well, I can't avoid it. The trunk wheel humps also take it on the chin.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
After removing my back seat and building a platform I found myself hauling many things. The platform is protected by recycled rubber mat, and when needed I will use a moving blanket to protect sides and fabriccovered high density poly foam cushions where needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've learned a lot being a newbie by watching the Mike Phillips detailing videos on the AutoGeek site: ; they have a YouTube Channel as well. I also find their online forum for members helpful as well.

They details and restores show cars, and have years of experience. Here is an exerpt from their online Interior Detailing Tips:

"Wipe down all vinyl, plastic and rubber surfaces with a damp Microfiber Detailing Cloth. You can use either plain water or a cleaner, like BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner. BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner is a versatile, water-based cleaner for all leather, vinyl, velour, carpet, headliner fabric, wood, plastic, and metal. If a more thorough cleaning is necessary, use the soft-bristled Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush to gently scrub the surface.

After cleaning, you'll want to protect the surfaces with an interior protectant, like BLACKFIRE Interior Protectant or Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. This makes the surface easier to clean the next time around, as well as adding a nice satin finish.

Warning! Avoid silicone-based protectants. Silicone leaves an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior."

·
Registered
194 Posts
My biggest worry is the the seat belt hitting point next to the seat. It's already scratching and i'm not really doing anything different than other vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
826 Posts
There really isn’t a lot you can do to protect the plastic except taking great care. The interior plastic parts scratch very easily. After a few years, inevitably, you’ll have a few scratches here and there. Aero 303 reduces the chance of easy scratches I think.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
448 Posts
Aero 303 protectant treats plastic and vinyl etc from UV light fading and cracking I doubt it has any ability to keep anything from being scratched- it's not like a hard finish shell! :)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Jasper Green
7 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Door Scuff Guards/Protectors? Are they worth the $60 and $60 installation fee? Do they get scuffed? If not, then why doesn't Subaru use that material on their doors in the first place?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Magnetite Grey
5 Posts
My Forester came with them installed so I can't really comment on the pricing, but they really do seem to work and not scuff up. I'm extremely careful with my door and where the protector is, is the one place I would accidentally kick while holding the door so as to not slam it into someone else's car. I'd say I'm pretty happy with them so far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My story with the scuff protectors is similar to @Doktor_Z . While holding my door so as to not touch the car next to me, I'd often scuff my door with my shoe so I purchased the scuff protectors. I'm happy with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts