Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by this guy from Subaru Dealership that even if the Cruise Control is off the Eyesight Pre Collision Brake/ Throttle Assist is working. But I was driving it for weeks now, No pedestrian, motorcycle, or car has been detected no audible or visual alerts in connection to those. Lane change works fine. It only work fine when I turn on the cruise control, the middle screen shows the activity of the car etc, the SUV basically can almost drive itself awesome ! but in city drive, of course I am not using the cruise control, the pre collision brake assist don't work. Then what I did today, I tested it with empty file boxes and make it as tall as me and another one as tall as my dog. I did it only in my garage ( I have a pretty much long pathway) out of 9 attempts only one is successfully completed the Cycle> the detection with audible and visual alerts, the slow down and the braking and 3 times out of 9 it was detected but didn't stop and I hit the boxes hard. Is there a minimum speed for it to work? like the RAB (reverse automatic brake) that you have to do your reverse faster than that of the video shown by Subaru for it to automatically apply the brake and also the object is suppose to be taller than a Medium dog. I tested it. Did you guys ever tested your Pre Collision brake assist. Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've had mine go off many times. In my experience it's speed delta sensitive. You're not going to achieve the speeds needed in your garage. Try it again outside at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@Bennjay The Guy from the Subaru dealer is correct. EyeSight is always on. EyeSight’s function is not relative to ACC being on or off.
The manuals further explain what you can expect from the system. I suggest a read.
As @PearlWhite mentioned, forward collision breaking is speed dependent.
You will not see a target lock or hear beeps if ACC is turned off but the System is active none-the-less.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
159 Posts
It is my understanding, and I'm not real expert here, is that the brake assist only happens when the car determines that you aren't slowing at a rate enough to stop by yourself. So was your speed enough to trigger this

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
87 Posts
My sister works for SOA, they do demos of this system at events. They set up a fake car and a guy drives at it, and the car stops before hitting it.

Every event my sister has been to has shown 100% success rate of the car stopping

I have had the system come on several times, especially when cars are turning in front of you and They will be gone by the time you get to them.

The system is also not supposed to let you accelerate into a car in front of you. I get it a lot at 4 way stop signs where I start to go before the crossing vehicles is through the intersection and I can feel my car holding me back until that car clears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought the sport, everything seems to be working correctly except I have yet to receive any brake warnings or experienced braking at all like the original post said. I have been trying to test it with the cars in front of me when they come to a stop at speeds of 10-15 mph when I can easily stop if it gets too close. If it is speed dependent, I won't likely be able to test it out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Recently bought the sport, everything seems to be working correctly except I have yet to receive any brake warnings or experienced braking at all like the original post said. I have been trying to test it with the cars in front of me when they come to a stop at speeds of 10-15 mph when I can easily stop if it gets too close. If it is speed dependent, I won't likely be able to test it out.
Correct, you won't. But when you traveling at posted speed limits and someone pulls out in front of you or suddenly stops to turn it will kick in auto braking if you have the stomach to wait and see. It's kicked in on me plenty of times. You must realize it's not designed to activate under normal driving and could you imagine if it was constantly activating? It's designed for an eminent crash.

The best way to test is when nobody else is on the road except you and the vehicle stopped and turning right just ahead of you. Keep driving the posted speed limit at the back of the turning vehicle while being prepared to swerve left around it at the last second. The emergency braking will kick in. But you better turn left as I can't guarantee it will 100% stop you in time. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
431 Posts
I've had mine go off many times. In my experience it's speed delta sensitive. You're not going to achieve the speeds needed in your garage. Try it again outside at higher speeds.
If I am understanding your comment right, you mean it will work at the higher speeds and not the lower speeds. If so, that is not correct. Mine works in bumper to bumper traffic as well.
Once I was driving all day long with only one break and I was remarkably tired but had to hit home before the end of the day. Got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I got my foot off the accelerator and the brake, car made it all by itself for almost a couple of miles. Even otherwise, it works at crawling speeds.

I still say, take it to the dealer. You don't want to waste time on it. Pls update us what the dealer says. Keep SOA in the loop as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I am understanding your comment right, you mean it will work at the higher speeds and not the lower speeds. If so, that is not correct. Mine works in bumper to bumper traffic as well.
Once I was driving all day long with only one break and I was remarkably tired but had to hit home before the end of the day. Got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I got my foot off the accelerator and the brake, car made it all by itself for almost a couple of miles. Even otherwise, it works at crawling speeds.

I still say, take it to the dealer. You don't want to waste time on it. Pls update us what the dealer says. Keep SOA in the loop as well.
This topic is about pre collision braking not adaptive cruise control. You're describing ACC. I was describing pre collision braking.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
785 Posts
I did it only in my garage ( I have a pretty much long pathway) out of 9 attempts only one is successfully completed the Cycle
Pre collision braking (PCB) will reset/deactivate if you turn the steering wheel, manually brake, or accelerate. I'm guessing you're actively accelerating to test it inside the garage which is most likely cancelling PCB. Try it on a quiet street.

I've demonstarted PCB to family and friends about 20 times using several stacked cardboard boxes and it has never failed to activate and stop short even at 50 kph/30 mph on a dry road.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This topic is about pre collision braking not adaptive cruise control. You're describing ACC. I was describing pre collision braking.
I am NOT describing ACC. The car was NOT on ACC. If you let the car roll and it detects something it will brake, as it did it my case, many times.
Not too sure which year you got but mine (2015) is not good to keep ACC on in bumper to bumper traffic due to its lurching tendency with the throttle.
That said, I do not recommend anyone trying it.

OP, pls give us an update when you get some resolution. We are considering another Forester so keeping an eye on what new tech has brought to the car

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am NOT describing ACC. The car was NOT on ACC. If you let the car roll and it detects something it will brake, as it did it my case, many times.
Not too sure which year you got but mine (2015) is not good to keep ACC on in bumper to bumper traffic due to its lurching tendency with the throttle.
That said, I do not recommend anyone trying it.

OP, pls give us an update when you get some resolution. We are considering another Forester so keeping an eye on what new tech has brought to the car
Interesting.
Mine is a 2019. My PCB will not stop me when rolling up to another car very slow. At least not normally. It also shuts down PCB after 3 activations in a short time period.

I have cruise behavior set to level 1, least aggressive. ACC works amazingly well in bumber to bumber traffic.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Interesting.
Mine is a 2019. My PCB will not stop me when rolling up to another car very slow. At least not normally. It also shuts down PCB after 3 activations in a short time period.

I have cruise behavior set to level 1, least aggressive. ACC works amazingly well in bumber to bumber traffic.
You are lucky. You folks probably have updated cameras and definitely the firmware. That cruise behavior thing we do not have. If my speed is set to 60, unless there is a car in its vision, it will rev to achieve 60mph ASAP (almost 4K revs) and if the car comes in its vision, it bakes hard (really hard). It drives me NUTS. I will go absolutely mad if I use it in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
83 Posts
My Brake Assist (2019 Forester) got a test recently - fairly close traffic at about 40 mph and a guy on a motorcycle abruptly stopped and almost fell off his bike, I was in no danger of hitting him (but could have been if I had lost attention for even a second); however, as my foot hit the brake the Brake Assist light also went on. I was impressed at how fast it detected and applied "assistance". Could have been a deadly accident for the guy on the bike.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
122 Posts
You probably don't want to push the limits of testing automatic emergency braking (AEB) and forward collision warning (FCW). I have had both systems operate in my 2019 Touring, but that was in dangerous situations. I was in a network of tunnels staring at the GPS screen (which had lost signal) for guidance as to where to turn, when my FCW activated - traffic jam just ahead in the tunnel- I braked down just in time. Another time a pickup truck was fishtailing right in front of me before a highway split- I was on the brakes, but Eyesight judged it wasn't enough and activated dynamic brake support - increasing braking automatically to the maximum... it all happened very fast, but that was extremely close,even with the assist.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
280 Posts
Interesting.

There are so many nuances here that's it's difficult to say for sure what it will and will not do. I agree with you that inching up on a stationary vehicle in front of me my 2020' will not stop, at least I don't think it will. I tried pulling up behind a parked car and slowly inching towards it and ran out of testicular fortitude at about a foot away. There was no sign of the system doing anything at all. Of course a stop/go scenario is slightly different. The car in front of you is accelerating and then stopping while you're not stopping, yet all of this happens at a relatively slow speed. If you read the manual there are several mentions of the system not working at low speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
730 Posts
There are so many nuances here that's it's difficult to say for sure what it will and will not do. I agree with you that inching up on a stationary vehicle in front of me my 2020' will not stop, at least I don't think it will. I tried pulling up behind a parked car and slowly inching towards it and ran out of testicular fortitude at about a foot away. There was no sign of the system doing anything at all. Of course a stop/go scenario is slightly different. The car in front of you is accelerating and then stopping while you're not stopping, yet all of this happens at a relatively slow speed. If you read the manual there are several mentions of the system not working at low speeds.
That's because the closure rate needs to be 4mph or greater. (as noted in the manual).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
187 Posts
This is actually a good thing. A few years back when BMW and Mercedes first added auto braking, there were tons of complaints of those cars putting on the brakes when rolling slowly through a car wash, for example.

There are just too many circumstances where you WANT to get your bumper within a foot of something (like my cluttered garage 😁) that I think having it activate only when moving faster than a brisk walk makes sense. To me, anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts