Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2k miles, I switched out the OEM wheels and tires for Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 225R65/17 tires and Black Rhino Boxer Black Rhino Boxerwheels. The Pirellis have a no-time-limit 50k warranty.

This was a really hard decision. One of the reasons I bought the Sport trim was the all black, including the wheels. But the OEM tires are awful and I wanted something better, especially for the snow.

I spent a bunch of time on this forum and the internets. I learned that a smaller wheel was needed to allow a larger sidewall. The smallest wheel that works on a Sport is 17". I looked at a lot of wheels. I finally decided on the Black Rhino Boxers. If I didn't get the Black Rhinos, I would have purchased the LP Adventure LP1.

I considered a lot of tires: BFG K02, Yokohama Geolander A/T G015, Cooper Discoverer AT3, Pirelli Scorpion AT plus, Hankook Dynapro AT2, Falken Wildpeak.

The nicest look of course is the BFG K02, but I was worried about mileage and road noise. The Yokahama Geolander AT got the best reviews for those issues, but didn't seem as solid in the snow. Near the end, I discovered the relatively-new Pirelli. It doesn't have a lot of reviews, but the ones it has are really good. Bonus that it has an aggressive-looking sidewall.

I went with the Pirellis, and I'm very happy so far. Road noise is no worse than the OEM Falkens. Traction is hugely improved in the rain. Several times, the Falkens felt close to hydroplaning in heavy rain on the freeway. About a week after putting the Pirellis on the car, I was on the freeway at night in very heavy rain. I came up on a long, deep puddle. I got off the gas and prepared for a bad hydroplane. Nothing happened. It's a tired saying, but the Pirellis cut through like a knife through butter. The road might as well have been dry. I'm a believer.

The nice folks at Discount Tire recommended that I wait for the Black Friday sale, when everything would be 10% off. They matched the best online price for the wheels and gave me 10% off that!

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
2008 All
908 Posts
Thank you for the shout out to Discount Tire Direct. i love the look of the Pirelli tires mounted on Black Rhino Boxer wheels.

What a good looking Forester. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts along with some outstanding photos.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
679 Posts
I got them in 225/60/R17 late last year. Had intended trying the Falken Wildcats, but couldn't find any in stock locally and didn't want to wait. Been happy with the Scorpions so far. About as smooth as the OEM Yokohamas on straights, but, as expected, rougher in hard cornering when the shoulders dig in, however, the grip is better, especially in the wet and much less wheel spin on taking off on dirt. Mileage hasn't suffered either.

It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man they look great! I’m rocking the same exact size but went with the BR Sandstorms. How quiet are the Pirellis?! They feel great and my offset gives a wider stance. So far so good on the Pirellis. Congratulations mate!

·
Registered
33 Posts
2020 Forester Sport Black Rhino Sandstorm17in +10 offset Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 225/65/17 Unsprung weight difference vs stock combo Stock falken 225/55/18=25lbs Stock 18x7 +48about = 31 lbs Total = 56lbs Option 2 : Sandstorm 17x8 = 29lbs plus pirelli AT plus 245/65/17 = 29 lbs Total : 58lbs

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh--I misread your post. I really like your wheels! I don't think I noticed those on Black Rhino's website.

I must have the same +10 offset, right? I can't figure why your wheels seem to have a wider stance. Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, you’re offset isn’t +10. I screenshot the boxers from BR’s site, possibly +40 for your set. Go back to the specs and double check, pretty sure it’s closer to stock. Offset will determine how much “poke” you will have. Based on your images , they look like they’re +40 offset.
Nonetheless, your combo looks BOSS !

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's a function of the wheel itself? I really like the wider stance.

Looks like there are three options for 17" with 5x114.3:

1780BXR405114M7617x85x114.30406.100GUNBLACK76.1137520269.50CCBOXERB

1785BXR125114M7617x8.55x114.30125.220GUNBLACK76.1200025269.50CCBOXERB

1785BXR-45114M7617x8.55x114.30-243.810GUNBLACK76.1200027269.50CCBOXERB

I wish I'd paid attention. I thought I was getting the 17x8.5. I just looked at my invoice, and it's the 17x8. The difference is the "poke" and 1/2" of width? Shoot!!!

·
Registered
2017 ForesterXT Vespa
105 Posts
Curious to hear how they handle in the snow. I have the G015 and drove in fresh snow in Utah and was pleasantly surprised how well they worked in snow.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Hey I thought the exact same thing. You can consider dipping them , which I have experience with. If done correctly, it’s a lot of fun , fairly durable and reversible.

incidentally the black rhino sandstorm also come in a crazy candy red!

*unaffiliated with

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
19 Posts
I fitted Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 225/65r17 about 8 months ago. Excellent tyre giving hugely improved dirt road performnce and improved on road performance over OEM Bridgestone Duellers. Car looks a lot better for the bigger more aggressive tyre as well. Can't figure out why Subaru don't offer this type and size as factory option.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
@Gavinbaker, what wheels are you running these tires on?

@BGinLA, why there are different offsets available? I would expect that everyone would want the offset with the most "poke" with custom rally-style rims. Other than weight, is there any disadvantage to the 17x8.5 vs 17x8 rims? And to the +10 vs -25 offset? Assuming it's just personal preference, why wouldn't the helpful Discount Tire folks have given me the option? I assume adding spacers isn't a great move because it changes the center of gravity of the wheel in relation to the axle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
With regards to the offset availability, these are aftermarket rims designed for multiple car brands not only Subaru. This means there are a significant number of cars they can be mounted on.

That said, different car types will have different dimensions around the fender and wheel well, etc. , which means different offsets will allow customers to achieve the proper look or “stance.”

Re: spacers, unfortunately I have no experience with them but you’ll find arguments for and against. Personally, less is more and avoiding risk are 2 things I keep in mind when tinkering with my cars.

Re: advantage or disadvantage when it comes to wheel width and size , it’s more important to understand the role each plays in your specific application.

For my setup , I wanted it to keep as close to the stock tire and wheel combination as possible both in overall diameter and weight . I also wanted a more “poked” look which some people want and some don’t, or prefer “flush” or stock. The unsprung weight of the original OEM tire and wheel combo was 56lbs and the new combo was only 2 lbs heavier!

If you go to “tire size calculator” you can compare. It’s a wonderful and necessary, in my opinion, when considering options.

Make sure you consult with your tire vendor prior to any wheel/tire purchase in the future.

Screenshots below are the stock Forester Sport wheel and tire specs vs my current black rhino sandstorms.

@Gavinbaker, what wheels are you running these tires on?

@BGinLA, why there are different offsets available? I would expect that everyone would want the offset with the most "poke" with custom rally-style rims. Other than weight, is there any disadvantage to the 17x8.5 vs 17x8 rims? And to the +10 vs -25 offset? Assuming it's just personal preference, why wouldn't the helpful Discount Tire folks have given me the option? I assume adding spacers isn't a great move because it changes the center of gravity of the wheel in relation to the axle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also would like to note if you revisit the screenshot that shows the 2 setups side by side you’ll see that my overall diameter increased by .9inches. I look at it as a free “mini lift “.
I should also note, I get tiny rubbing using my aftermarket mud flaps at full tilt, just right side though (?)
And upon installation prior to the aftermarket mud flaps being installed, my tire installer had to rework and adjust the front lower plastic protection piece to make sure I had room to turn full tilt. Lastly, I got no rubbing with the OEM mud guards. I replaced them because the new offset pushed the tire out significantly to where they were made useless.
no complaints with the rokblokz mud flaps and they add a certain dimension which makes the offset look as if it were intended that way!

With regards to the offset availability, these are aftermarket rims designed for multiple car brands not only Subaru. This means there are a significant number of cars they can be mounted on.

That said, different car types will have different dimensions around the fender and wheel well, etc. , which means different offsets will allow customers to achieve the proper look or “stance.”

Re: spacers, unfortunately I have no experience with them but you’ll find arguments for and against. Personally, less is more and avoiding risk are 2 things I keep in mind when tinkering with my cars.

Re: advantage or disadvantage when it comes to wheel width and size , it’s more important to understand the role each plays in your specific application.

For my setup , I wanted it to keep as close to the stock tire and wheel combination as possible both in overall diameter and weight . I also wanted a more “poked” look which some people want and some don’t, or prefer “flush” or stock. The unsprung weight of the original OEM tire and wheel combo was 56lbs and the new combo was only 2 lbs heavier!

If you go to “tire size calculator” you can compare. It’s a wonderful and necessary, in my opinion, when considering options.

Make sure you consult with your tire vendor prior to any wheel/tire purchase in the future.

Screenshots below are the stock Forester Sport wheel and tire specs vs my current black rhino sandstorms.

View attachment 528921 View attachment 528922 View attachment 528923

1 - 20 of 33 Posts