Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
45 Posts
Cute 3+ year old video, but inaccurate. Here's a brief informative piece courtesy of the Union of Concerned Scientists:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
45 Posts
Some more info on EV vs. fossil fuel vehicles:

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
196 Posts
So what is the answer?

So we should do nothing to reduce pollution and protect the environment?
I don’t know, but you think that there really is a way to protect the environment, even if everyone stopped driving cars with internal combustion engines & factories stopped polluting & coal generation etc etc look around, if the collective masses would of believed scientists back at least in the 70’s if not before maybe their would be a chance!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
490 Posts
Arguing whether or not electric vehicles cause less (or more) pollution that ICE powered vehicles really misses the point, IMO.

Electrics require roughly 1/2 the components to make a comparable vehicle as compared to a traditional ICE powered vehicle, and less parts usually translate into less maintenance/warranty costs. And, they don’t require as much maintenance on complex mechanical devices such as multi gear transmissions or CVT’s. Ask a Tesla owner how often he changes his oil...

In addition, an ICE powered vehicle ALWAYS requires some sort of hydrocarbon-based fuel (with the exception of hydrogen powered engine vehicles), whereas electric vehicles can be powered using electricity made by hydro, wind or solar power, even though today a substantial number of electrics currently in use obtain their electricity from hydrocarbon-base generated electricity. As non-hydrocarbon electricity production increases, that translates into a cleaner environment. Hydrogen vehicles may have a future, if a suitable (and market acceptable) solution can be devised.

Lastly, large population countries such as India and China are making moves to eliminate ICE powered vehicles, alone with many developed countries in Europe. If that move does come to pass, worldwide vehicle production will move towards making the best selling vehicles (electrics). Since auto production is already an intertwined multinational manufacturing process, it’s doubtful that individual countries will be able to stay with ICE technology in any substantial way.... it just won’t be a competitive way to make and sell vehicles.

The reason you buy the very same basic Forester in NA, Asia or Europe today will hold true when electric vehicle production moves to the forefront 20, 30 or more years from now.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
45 Posts
I don’t know, but you think that there really is a way to protect the environment, even if everyone stopped driving cars with internal combustion engines & factories stopped polluting & coal generation etc etc look around, if the collective masses would of believed scientists back at least in the 70’s if not before maybe their would be a chance!
So your solution is to do nothing. Great. That's a lot like saying: oops I'm 1000 miles late on my oil change, so I guess It's not worth bothering to ever change it again. Good thinking.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,098 Posts
Good points all around fellas.
Oil waste being a really good point I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,098 Posts
Good points all around fellas.
Oil waste being a really good point I would think.

*can someone report my double post ?
Seems I cant delete it or report it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
196 Posts
So your solution is to do nothing. Great. That's a lot like saying: oops I'm 1000 miles late on my oil change, so I guess It's not worth bothering to ever change it again. Good thinking.
I’m 61 years old I thought at one time people would wake up, before it’s too late, to save the natural world, but sadly it’s a dog eat dog world where too many people are just after the almighty dollar, & screw everything else!!
So now it’s probably past the tipping point! I’d like to know where you think the electrical generation is going to come from for all these electric vehicles? Dirty fossil fuel burning?!? Or ?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
490 Posts
I’m 61 years old I thought at one time people would wake up, before it’s too late, to save the natural world, but sadly it’s a dog eat dog world where too many people are just after the almighty dollar, & screw everything else!!
So now it’s probably past the tipping point! I’d like to know where you think the electrical generation is going to come from for all these electric vehicles? Dirty fossil fuel burning?!? Or ?
I‘m not quite the pessimist that you seem to be. Battery technology continues to improve, as does wind and solar technology. Energy efficiency also continues to improve. Even nuclear technology has advanced far beyond using water as coolant for reactors, even though nuclear energy still is shunned by many.. Incidentally, the primary reason reactors use water as a coolant is because the initial reactor usage was primarily designed for naval propulsion power, and the one thing every modern navy has is access to a lot of water. There are far safer designs now that use other coolants, reducing meltdown risks considerably... the main complaint against nuclear power generating facilities.

The thing we DO agree on is the lack of desire to forcefully attack the issue of moving from fossil fuel... at least for the moment. But, I think there’s change coming.

Funny... isn’t it, how one person can look around and see a prospering economy, low unemployment, and all the things that go along with it... and even though he might not be doing as well as others, sees it as a positive thing.

Meanwhile, another person is seeing the very same exact thing, but because he isn’t doing as well as many others, thinks it’s a failing economy... which, for him it is.

I guess it all boils down to a person’s POV...

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
196 Posts
No I see the whole picture, I read & look at articles showing a millions of arctic methane hot spots, temperatures that are the hottest in recorded history, Bush fires in Australia the worst ever!
A year ago my wife & I lived in Louisiana, when we had , had to go back there,long story, but there was so many tree frogs making noise you wished they would shut up & lizards etc. around six years later, didn’t see or hear anymore tree frogs, nor lizards, but did smell the Cancer Alley chemical plants about 90 miles away from where we lived!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
196 Posts
I’m just Jaded I guess because I have done as much as I could with my resources to help the planet, recycle, drive as fuel efficient car, use synthetic oil, use compact fluorescent bulbs before they were generally accepted!
In Germany we used the train, etc. but the masses of people are not going accept what it will take to do the changes necessary to save the planet, & then you have the people that will never accept that their is a problem, no global warming! Nothing to see here!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
152 Posts
I think what bugs me the most with a majority of climate activists is they let slip it's not really about the climate but about the $$ they can make off the issue. Like anything else just follow the money.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
490 Posts
I think what bugs me the most with a majority of climate activists is they let slip it's not really about the climate but about the $$ they can make off the issue. Like anything else just follow the money.
A majority? And exactly how do you know that’s an accurate statement?

Are there some? Sure, as there are in any divergence of general societal direction.

Example: Doomsday ”preppers”, who predict doom and gloom, all the while selling poor suckers $$$ of items that, in the case of a true doomsday scenario won’t help anyone survive any longer than those without it.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts