Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
Allow me to cut to the chase... The electronic driver’s assistants Ship set sail a long time ago.
Yes you are correct driven by people that won’t wear seat belts, people that won’t stay off the phone & the insurance companies with the money & power drive these so called improvements, well I was planning on this being our last car, to make as long as possible anyway, I guess more incentives now!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
The Boeing case is an anecdotal outlier.
No kidding, wow I didn’t know that, holly S*** I was an aircraft mechanic for a long time wow thanks for telling me that!!
One of the reasons that aircraft have autopilot is that the aircraft the airlines used to use had a pilot a navigator & now you have mostly only a pilot & copilot , plus you can pull your car over & stop to go to the bathroom can’t do that in an airplane!
This new eyesight & other Nanny crap is not needed except for people who don’t want to drive their cars, they want to do everything but.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
146 Posts
Yes you are correct driven by people that won’t wear seat belts, people that won’t stay off the phone & the insurance companies with the money & power drive these so called improvements, well I was planning on this being our last car, to make as long as possible anyway, I guess more incentives now!
I'm like you in that I hope this is our last new car. As I've already said I feel fortunate I found one with minimal bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
146 Posts
You can do like a young fellow on another forum I frequent. He only uses the clutch to get moving, after that he doesn't use the clutch. He's been warned several times he'll eventually have to learn to shift like the big boys do when he wears out the synchronizers.

·
Administrator
12,650 Posts
:eek: yeah that's crazy! Didn't know that "JC" meant "Just Crash"

hoping my old knees & body can keep driving a manual transmission
An auto with a good sports shift can be just as much fun - I enjoy driving my auto Mitsubishi Triton (aka L200) ute which is just like a big Subie in AWD mode.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,084 Posts
And... I then read this.

I think the current state of Subaru automation is the least of our concerns.
“TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Subaru Corp set a target on Monday to sell only electric vehicles worldwide by the first half of the 2030s, in a move toward its long-term goal of a carbon-free society.”

Read that last bs line, “carbon-free society”

Another unicorn and rainbow pipe dream.
I guess those batteries just drop out of trees and magically disappear when spent.
Oh and the magic receptacle that they will plug into produces electricity from little elves.

Now wheres my Birkinstocks people ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
:eek: yeah that's crazy! Didn't know that "JC" meant "Just Crash"

An auto with a good sports shift can be just as much fun - I enjoy driving my auto Mitsubishi Triton (aka L200) ute which is just like a big Subie in AWD mode.
Really I don’t have any faith in the CVT transmissions, most of our vehicles were manual transmission anyway, but the POS we had before the Subaru was a slush box ! But I started looking at different vehicles in what we wanted to get & the Honda CRV etc had the CVT transmissions!!! So it turns out that few vehicles that I was looking at had a manual transmission anymore, so I did some research & here we are owners of a fun little Scooby!o

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
As long as there are folks like this on the roads, I doubt any amount of safety features can save us.

You can’t fix crazy...

Pennsylvania woman drove into oncoming traffic to 'test her faith,' police say
My wife & I were at a traffic light & a Dodge Charger was ahead of us, I wondered why he was fifty or so feet back from the traffic light, just before the light turned green he went ripping through the light & traffic doesn’t always stop when the light turns red around here just like everywhere else, I was surprised we didn’t see a real bad accident!
You can’t fix stupid!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
“TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Subaru Corp set a target on Monday to sell only electric vehicles worldwide by the first half of the 2030s, in a move toward its long-term goal of a carbon-free society.”

Read that last bs line, “carbon-free society”

Another unicorn and rainbow pipe dream.
I guess those batteries just drop out of trees and magically disappear when spent.
Oh and the magic receptacle that they will plug into produces electricity from little elves.

Now wheres my Birkinstocks people ?

I love the environment, but electric cars are not really the answer, plus the ship has sailed the effects are there!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
190 Posts
Fortunately my ute is not CVT so I can drive it like a manual ;)
Well you being in Australia 🇦🇺 you have access to the real Utes ones we don’t get here anymore, our International Harvester Scout 2’s we had were real Utes, the last one originally had the Nissan turbo Diesel, which I took out & replaced with an International Harvester 6.9 liter Diesel from a Ford truck with a divorced mounted transfer case, that was a real Ute.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
197 Posts
Like many, I prefer to drive my car, without many of the automatic safety features, but this is my first car since 2002. I skipped many generations of technology and have learned to prefer my 2019 to the 2002 SUV that I previously owned. I still spend a lot of time on a motorcycle and as was previously said, I feel that has made me a better diver. 50+ accident free years.

One thing to keep in mind, if you use the hands free cell phone, you are not much safer than holding the phone in your hand. Using a full duplex phone blocks parts of the brain and you are distracted. You will miss things on the road and it is almost like being intoxicated. Most of my business career was with a wireless company and I have seen white paper studies that prove this out. It's not the same as simplex, listening to the radio or talking to someone in your car.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,084 Posts
Like many, I prefer to drive my car, without many of the automatic safety features, but this is my first car since 2002. I skipped many generations of technology and have learned to prefer my 2019 to the 2002 SUV that I previously owned. I still spend a lot of time on a motorcycle and as was previously said, I feel that has made me a better diver. 50+ accident free years.

One thing to keep in mind, if you use the hands free cell phone, you are not much safer than holding the phone in your hand. Using a full duplex phone blocks parts of the brain and you are distracted. You will miss things on the road and it almost like being intoxicated. Most of my business career was with a wireless company and I have seen white paper studies that prove this out. It's not the same a simplex, listening to the radio or talking to someone in your car.
I absolutely believe that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
473 Posts
So what is the answer?

So we should do nothing to reduce pollution and protect the environment?
Electric vehicles may or may not be “the answer”, but it certainly appears the production of electric vehicles has reached a critical mass. One can easily imagine 110 years ago, when Ford was just getting the Model T ramped up, hearing people make comments very similar... ”Yes, there are problems with horses and buggies, but automobiles aren’t the answer”.

I don’t know what the fate of ICE-powered vehicles will be, but I’d bet good money that in 25 years, there’ll be a lot less of them, percentage-wise, than what we have today.

Once a charging infrastructure is fully established, I think we’ll see a real explosion in electric sales, especially since so many new models are on the cusp of introduction. It’s no longer just Tesla selling a few high $ luxury vehicles to well-to-do buyers.

Regarding the environment, we have proven that, when we have the will, we can indeed reverse environmental damage.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
45 Posts
Electric vehicles may or may not be “the answer”, but it certainly appears the production of electric vehicles has reached a critical mass. One can easily imagine 110 years ago, when Ford was just getting the Model T ramped up, hearing people make comments very similar... ”Yes, there are problems with horses and buggies, but automobiles aren’t the answer”.

I don’t know what the fate of ICE-powered vehicles will be, but I’d bet good money that in 25 years, there’ll be a lot less of them, percentage-wise, than what we have today.

Once a charging infrastructure is fully established, I think we’ll see a real explosion in electric sales, especially since so many new models are on the cusp of introduction. It’s no longer just Tesla selling a few high $ luxury vehicles to well-to-do buyers.

Regarding the environment, we have proven that, when we have the will, we can indeed reverse environmental damage.
I agree, it's good to see that some others have the same thoughts. A comment or two though. Tesla already has a very good (and growing) supercharger network and is committed to fair pricing. So far they're the only one with this advantage. Hopefully others will follow. While Tesla started with the high end Roadster, Model S and Model X it was always their stated plan to use those sales to allow for the production of less expensive models. A Model 3 currently starts at just sub $40k and that's for a well appointed vehicle that should be far less expensive to operate and last far longer than a gasoline model. Less expensive versions are being designed as we speak. The average price for a new car sold in the US in 2019 was north of $37k. Battery production is getting better and less expensive every year. It's only a matter of time...

61 - 80 of 94 Posts