Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Forester for 6 months and have grown to hate (hate!!) these driver assist gizmos. I drive very curvy roads and some of the assists are down right dangerous. I am tired of getting into my car every day and having to turn each thing off one at a time. Just want them gone so I can do my own driving. Can they be permanently turned off?

► Notice - Administrator's note:
Please read the thread title & the thread starters post above. This thread has been edited... scrubbed to keep this thread on topic. Off-Topic posts will be removed without notice.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,605 Posts
@Weeze I see this is your first forum post, welcome to the forum from Oregon!

What year is your Forester so I can add the prefix to your thread?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I meant to put it in. I have a 2019 Forester Touring.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,452 Posts
The one that bothered me the most on both my 2016 and 2018 was the 'auto nudge' feature, that coaxed me back into the lane if I drifted a bit too much. It just took a button press to permanently make it go away. Things might have changed in the next generation?

·
Registered
03 Cross Sports
5 Posts
Okay so I am not the only one that’s hating these type of features.
In my 19 Jeep GC, I had adaptive cruise control on, with the maximum following
distance set when a vehicle jumped in front of me while we were doing 115 kph,
and the Jeep hammers on the brakes. Almost got rear ended. Couldn’t even back into my
driveway because the sensors would detect the curb and apply the brakes.
And the stop/start feature, nope didn’t like that either. They have been disabled.
One of the best features on my Forester.....it has none of that technowizardry. 👍🏽

·
Registered
2018 Forester
209 Posts
As I've said before my fear is drivers will become too complacent with all these "bells and whistles" and when something goes wrong with them the result may be personal injury and/or death. The co's can only build in so much redundancy. JMHO.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
Lane departure warning (the dinging that you're crossing or close to crossing the center line or shoulder line) and forward collision avoidance (dulls throttle response and eventually slams on the brakes) can both be turned off by pressing and holding each button up by the sun glass holder/rear view mirror. These should stay off even when you restart the car. I've kept lane departure warning off since the day I bought my car. It's way too sensitive on back roads.

Lane keep assist (the automatic nudging of the steering wheel to push you back toward the center of your lane) I believe needs to be turned on every time you start the car and automatically turns off when you turn the car off I think. This button is lumped in with the cruise control buttons on your steering wheel. I use this frequently on the highway, it works relatively well, even without having lane departure warning on.

Blind spot monitoring (flashing and solid lights on the side view mirrors to indicate an object is in the car's blind spot) - I'm not 100% sure if this can be deactivated. I've found it works relatively well and is kind of helpful. Your mileage may vary.

Reverse cross traffic alert (beeping when the car is in reverse to indicate a moving object in the path or near the path of the vehicle) - I think this can be turned off? Again, not 100% sure as I've found it relatively helpful

Since you have the touring you have reverse automatic braking (slams on the brakes if the the vehicle feels you will hit an object while backing up). I'm fairly certain this can be turned off as well, but I have a Limited and do not have that feature so I'm not 100%.

Aside from adaptive cruise that should at least be a comprehensive list of the features. The eyesight manual should be able to fill in any holes I'm not 100% sure on. Or maybe some other helpful Subie owner can chime in :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
567 Posts
I read of other's adaptive cruise slamming on the brakes and causing near rear-enders when someone cut to closely in front. While drivers cutting closely is a routine (2/week?) occurrence during rush hour commutes, my car's response has always been to ease up on the gas. Maybe once or twice it lightly tapped the brakes. I backed off the control's sensitivity adjustment, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Earlier years don't have that adjustment capability.

Lane keep assist (the automatic nudging of the steering wheel to push you back toward the center of your lane) I believe needs to be turned on every time you start the car and automatically turns off when you turn the car off I think.
That button is persistent. It stays off, or on, through restarts (2019MY).

The ONLY feature that caused me concern once is front collision avoidance. On a single occassion, it incorrectly hit the brakes hard while on a residential street in an "S" curve with an approaching car. Not sure what would have happened in snow as I was in the corner when it happened. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
209 Posts
Boureesub, my '18 has a hand brake but I'll have to experiment with it to see if given too much brake it locks up all 4 wheels on packed snow.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
45 Posts
Here's a safety feature I miss. The good old-fashioned hand-controlled parking brake. Nothing better to correct a snow-induced understeer condition. :p
I wonder if the the e-parking-brake can be engaged like the manual one, ie, while the car is still moving. And if it can be, will be behave like the manual one?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premiu
5 Posts
I had a '17 as loaners for 2 weeks and then an '18 for a month, and I hated these features as well. In particular, the aggressive braking when a vehicle in front of me slowed down to turn; the cameras/computer saw it as a stationary object, and could not discern that it was actually moving out of my path. More recently, I rented a '19 for a week, and I noticed a significant improvement in the reduced over-sensitivity of these features.

Nonetheless, to your question: when I started the car and the windshield was frosted, obscuring the cameras, the features automatically turned off. Is that your solution--just block the cameras with a piece of paper?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My understanding is that the dealer can change these settings. Dealers are able to change settings you can't get to. But I'd make sure you contact them first, because, generally speaking, people are idiots. Make sure they know they can do it before you go in, and the person doing it will be there.

My personal experience is that I'm glad all that crap is in the car helping me, because all the crap is so distracting I would crash without the crap that's distracting me there to help me not crash. 🤪

-Dan

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.