Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Just got a new 2019 Subaru Forester and am looking to black out the rims. I saw a couple DIY tutorials online and they didnt look bad. Anyone have any personal experience with this? Please share!

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
310 Posts
I've painted a few sets of wheels over the years. I've even painted them with the rubber still on the rims. It just requires much more masking tape. The only real advice to be given is, prep, prep, prep. Make sure they are super clean. If they have any sort of plastic film or coating over the paint, your best bet is to sand it all off. If you just scuff them and paint over the coating, once the coating peels or chips, there goes your paint job. Other than that, easy peasy.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x AT
16 Posts
Plastidip isn't a terrible option in my opinion. Holds up pretty well, mine were done about a year ago and took a pretty solid beating from brush and gravel last summer with no damage. It wasn't until I had new tires put on that some finally got scraped off by the tire shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've painted a few sets of wheels over the years. I've even painted them with the rubber still on the rims. It just requires much more masking tape. The only real advice to be given is, prep, prep, prep. Make sure they are super clean. If they have any sort of plastic film or coating over the paint, your best bet is to sand it all off. If you just scuff them and paint over the coating, once the coating peels or chips, there goes your paint job. Other than that, easy peasy.
Thank you for the advise. When you painted them, did you include any sealant or protectant over the final coat of black paint?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
310 Posts
Thank you for the advise. When you painted them, did you include any sealant or protectant over the final coat of black paint?
I never coated the paint afterwards, thinking that if they ever needed a touch-up, it would be easier to fix. A quality enamel paint is really all you need. That said, as Hoshie mentioned, powder coating is the preferred method if you are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
I did the plastidip on my previous vehicle and it came out great. The best part about it is if you don't like the outcome you can just peal it off. I removed each wheel from the vehicle and spent a good amount of time cleaning and drying the rims and tires. I then treated the tires with a spray the company sells so the over spray pealed right off. Along with cleaning the rim extremely well, I also recommended doing a lot of thin coats. If you go too thick it drips and if you don't do enough coats you don't get proper coverage and it will be a pain to remove if you decide to remove it in the future.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
I did the plastidip on my previous vehicle and it came out great. The best part about it is if you don't like the outcome you can just peal it off. I removed each wheel from the vehicle and spent a good amount of time cleaning and drying the rims and tires. I then treated the tires with a spray the company sells so the over spray pealed right off. Along with cleaning the rim extremely well, I also recommended doing a lot of thin coats. If you go too thick it drips and if you don't do enough coats you don't get proper coverage and it will be a pain to remove if you decide to remove it in the future.
I also wanted to mention this way you don't need to sand your rim. Sanding it will give the paint more to hold onto and extended the life of the paint job but like I mentioned the best part of the plastidip is it is not permanent. If you want to go back to the original rim or even change the color you just have to peal off the old paint job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Clean wheels like you have ocd. Then yes primer first. Then paint. Then clear coat. I didnt do a clear coat as its not a permanent thing for me. But 1 yr in socal sun. 0 paint fade or chip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts