Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change the tires on my 19 sport and feel like the calibers being grey was a missed opportunity so I want to fix that. What are my options to color them? Do you paint them or buy color ones?

Probably just looking at making them orange like the rest.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/G2-Temperature-Caliper-System-ORANGE/dp/B004BQC4KS

I'm not very mechanic savy. I'd almost rather buy colored ones and have the mechanic put them on when they do the wheels? I don't know.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,868 Posts

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,247 Posts
I used red G2 on the 04 rear calipers years ago and it looks just as good today as the day it was done.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,868 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper

How did the high heat hold up? How many coats? Any chipping?

Looking to do a high heat semi gloss black
The Rust-Oleum B-B-Q black is a high temperature paint, rated to 1200°F. We also use this paint on our exhaust, excluding the CAT(s).

This specific paint is flat black & we used one coat. Basically, brush off any loose rust & dirt & spray! Very easy to apply.

I do believe they have another version of this paint is is a semi-gloss? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: bobk25

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
178 Posts
Primed mine with VHT then painted and cleared with Duplicolor High temp. That was what was available at the parts store, so that is what I used. So far, so good. Less than 5k miles on the odometer when I did the calipers, so they were pretty clean. Still spent hours cleaning prior to painting. Hope it holds up.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that looks really good. Did you take all your tires off at once or do one at a time? It's not like I have a lift so I'll be using the jack and do one at a time.

How long did it take you?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
178 Posts
Did the front and back brakes on separate occasions. Took me all weekend to do the front and another weekend to do the rear. However I am not know for setting any land speed records when it comes to getting work done. Disassembly of the brakes was pretty easy. I have a electric rear parking brake, so I watched some videos before doing the rear. First vehicle I have with that feature.

Thoroughly cleaning was the most time consuming. Douche with brake cleaner, scrub with steel wool, de-grease with Purple Power, hot water rinse, douche with 90% alcohol. Masking of the vehicle as to get over-spray on it, was also very time consuming. Rinse and repeat in the rear.

Giving time between layers (3 each) of primer, paint and clear to dry added to the delay in getting it done in a timely fashion. Haste makes waste. Would hate to do all of that work, just for it to peel off due to a rush job. Hope it holds up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts