Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice, please. I overfilled our 2019 Forester crankcase by .5 quarts. I don't believe this is harmful, but I don't have a small enough diameter tubing to extract the the half quart. I've certainly overfilled other motors by 8 ounces, BUT this is mama's car and it's a half quart-about 11% over the 4.4 recommended. I let it drain for quite a while, and put 5 quarts in it, and checked it later. Thanks in advance, this is our first Sub; it just made sense to buy this car!

Mr. sUBdude

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Hello & welcome :)

I wouldn't worry. Lots of people (not me though) put in 5 quarts and call it good.

It would be good to get an accurate reading, though, Leave car overnight on level surface. Check in the morning, make sure motor is stone cold. Pull dipstick and wipe. Leave out of engine for about 15 mins. Then take a reading, 1cm on the dipstick will be about half a quart. See where the level is on the dipstick. If you're not past the notch, the notch above the higher hole, I wouldn't worry.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,724 Posts
@sUBdude73 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

The Subaru technical service manual for my '07 FSXT says 4-1/2 quarts for an oil & filter change. I buy my oil in 5 quart jugs & I pour in the entire 5 quarts.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank y'all for the quick feedback. I've changed oil many times in the past in all manner of vehicles, but I got in a hurry... need I say more! And @2.5x_sleeper I'll fill out the account profile! Thanks again!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Typically I would say it's not a big deal until you see the CVT issues and possible jerkiness that can result from being overfilled.

Also it made me think of the Ascents that were smoking from oil from the factory.

Overfilling is not great for a car that isn't burning oil.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,896 Posts
How would the volume of oil in the crankcase affect the transmission???
Oh, yeah... It wouldn't.
A slight overfill of motor oil is not a problem.. An extra quart isn't either.
Subarus are pretty forgiving on oil level and get overfilled, a lot, as @ForesterBill said, frequently by dealerships.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@DragonSubie7 Like I said, I would have agreed with you if I hadn't read it.

Overfull engine oil could cause several issues including fueling (LTFT changes) and airflow in the PCV system which could theoretically could cause different shifting issues.

The 19 already runs very rich and does have fuel dilution. Add in the fact that Subaru is overfilling it, I don't see any way it's beneficial if it's not burning oil.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
Who is the intended audience of that "Tech Tip" article? Its hardly professional and I'm not inclined to believe they know what they are talking about. Sounds like an anecdote. Seriously incorrect level, or wrong oil can cause drivability, but I don't accept that "article" as a credible source on this issue.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Yes, I agree. No biggie at all.

It will have marked most its territory with that half a quart of oil within about 500 miles anyway. After all: it is a Subaru. :)

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
783 Posts
My made in Feb 2013 came slightly overfilled with oil by about half a litre/quart. From memory this was before the oil burning issue became apparent so I don't think that was the reason. If Subaru believe a 0.5-1.0 litre/quart overfill was significant I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it, especially given how much money they'd save on their annual ~1 million annual production.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
Advice, please. I overfilled our 2019 Forester crankcase by .5 quarts. ... I let it drain for quite a while, and put 5 quarts in it, and checked it later.
Extra won't hurt.

But, Subie dipstick bends to go around the flat cylinder configuration and always reads high, always - unless I measure when the oil is warm and pull out / set aside the dip stick for 4+ minutes, like when I'm filling the gas tank. (Delay let's the warm oil drain out of the bent dip stick tube); I then measure the level. Reads lower. Try it.

·
Registered
2019 RUN, Forester...RUN! Well...it varies!
17 Posts
How would the volume of oil in the crankcase affect the transmission???
Oh, yeah... It wouldn't.
A slight overfill of motor oil is not a problem.. An extra quart isn't either.
Subarus are pretty forgiving on oil level and get overfilled, a lot, as @ForesterBill said, frequently by dealerships.
Not sure on that extra quart thing not doing anything.

Methinks the crankshaft would splash around extra oil and possibly aerate it, affecting oil pressure and supply. Parking on a sloped driveway can also spill excess oil into two cylinders and slowly fill into combustion area over time.

I think a half quart over is probably ok. If you don't have a skinny tube to suction out the half quart, I guess you COULD just keep checking the oil and wiping it on a rag until it comes down to the full mark! Hehehe!

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
147 Posts
Since the oil filter is at the top anyone know how much oil it hold. Since it small it might be advise to replace the filter that may take some of the excess oil. Just a thought.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure on that extra quart thing not doing anything.

Methinks the crankshaft would splash around extra oil and possibly aerate it, affecting oil pressure and supply. Parking on a sloped driveway can also spill excess oil into two cylinders and slowly fill into combustion area over time.

I think a half quart over is probably ok. If you don't have a skinny tube to suction out the half quart, I guess you COULD just keep checking the oil and wiping it on a rag until it comes down to the full mark! Hehehe!
You definitely hit a couple points about aeration and oil pressure that would be true.

The biggest I was worried about was oil dilution raising the level even further. I was approaching +1 quart before I changed the oil at 3,500 miles

If this car comes out to not be an oil burner, there is absolutely no reason to overfill. Could be detrimental on longer oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,237 Posts
Extra won't hurt.

But, Subie dipstick bends to go around the flat cylinder configuration and always reads high, always - unless I measure when the oil is warm and pull out / set aside the dip stick for 4+ minutes, like when I'm filling the gas tank. (Delay let's the warm oil drain out of the bent dip stick tube); I then measure the level. Reads lower. Try it.
Dry sump engines like Porsche get checked at operating temps.
Check your oil cold. Like in the morning before starting it.
Youll get a true, consistent reading every time.
The stick does not show false high, or low readings. In my experience anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
As stated 1/2 quart over full is not end of the world, but a proper running (non oil burning) engine should not be overfilled. Over full can lead to aeration and more oil burning.

Checking the oil level
Subaru Forester / Subaru Forester Owners Manual / Maintenance and service / Engine oil / Checking the oil level

Check the engine oil level at each fuel stop.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and stop the engine.
Turbo models

Turbo models
Non-turbo models

Non-turbo models
2. Pull out the level gauge, wipe it clean, and insert it again.
3. Be sure the level gauge is correctly inserted until it stops.
Turbo models

Turbo models
1) Notch
2) Upper level
3) Lower level
4) Approximately 1.1 US qt (1.0 liter, 0.9 Imp qt) from lower level to upper level
Non-turbo models

Non-turbo models
1) Upper level
2) Lower level
3) Approximately 1.1 US qt (1.0 liter, 0.9 Imp qt) from lower level to upper level
4. Pull out the level gauge again and check the oil level on it. If it is below the lower level, add oil to bring the level up to the upper level.
- Use only engine oil with the

- Use only engine oil with the recommended grade and viscosity.
- Be careful not to spill engine oil when adding it. If oil touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If engine oil gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off.

If you check the oil level just after stopping the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan before checking the level.
Just after driving or while the engine is warm, the engine oil level reading may be in a range between the upper level and the notch mark. This is caused by thermal expansion of the engine oil.
To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not add any additional oil above the upper level when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
302 Posts
The dipstick enters the oil at an angle, maybe 40°, I check my oil pretty carefully and it reads one thing on the 'top' of the stick and higher on the 'bottom'. Always.

And there's quite a difference.

Aeration wouldn't likely be happening with just a pint overfull, But I don't think I'd like to see much more in there. Way back in the old days there was a fairly common problem in England with the Austin/Morris 1800s. Always they were well-looked after cars, usually the car would destroy some of its engine bearings on a fast run up the motorway.

BMC checked it out and found that in virtually all cases the owner did their own oil changes and put in 'a pint for the road' over the top mark. This was enough to cause the aeration as rods and crank throws plowed their way through the surplus oil.

The cure was to move the 'full' mark downwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts