Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Just purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport. Great car, but I noticed some superficial scratches on the black gloss paint trim around the rear window. When I *gently* ran my finger over it to see how deep they were, my *fingernail* etched a small scratch onto the surface. With almost no pressure.

I get that body paint is wet-based. But this is beyond insane. Any idea on how to flatten these out?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
9 Posts
The detailer told me Subaru paint is really soft and extremely easy to stratch. I had them put opticoat pro on it after paint correction which should help but one can only do so much... =(

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport, CVT
120 Posts
It's soooo bad... of course loads of scratches in the door cups and around the handles. Park near soft (like butterfly, or yews) bushes? yeah, don't do that... I need to get going on the ceramic coating not gonna be fun with carpal tunnel. Dark Blue Pearl shows EVERY scratch!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
501 Posts
I noticed that the clear coat paint on my 19 Forester is much softer than just about any car I've ever worked on.

One thing you can do to get rid of the scratches is use Meguiar's cleaner wax. I've had excellent luck using this to get rid of many light to medium scratches and haze over many years and different cars.
Food Liquid Automotive tire Bottle Fluid

You have to wash your car throughly using a microfiber mitt or pad. Use lots of soap for lubrication so the pad slides across your paint without dragging. Don't use sponges! They will scratch. Dry it off using only a soft microfiber towel. Cotton towels no matter how soft they feel will scratch and swirl your paint.

When your car is squeaky clean apply the wax using a microfiber pad. I got these at Walmart for 1.98 for two of them.
Cap Headgear Gas Electric blue Font

The heavier the scratch the more elbow grease you will have to use to work it out. Don't be afraid to press pretty hard while rubbing the wax on. You can check your progress by wiping off the wax (of course with a microfiber towel lol) and seeing how it looks. When the scratches are gone move on to the next section. I would recommend doing the entire car just to get rid of any light swirl marks that have accumulated over the past couple of years. You will be surprised at what this wax is capable of doing.

I put armor shield by Avalon King ceramic coating on my car. It's a DIY kit that will save you lots of money by applying it yourself. After lots of research this is the one I went with and I'm very glad I did. A detail shop quoted me about 1,200 bucks to ceramic coat my car and they wouldn't say what brand of coating they were going to use. It's a rather involved process but if you like cleaning cars it's not that big of a deal.

You will have to strip off the wax you just put on by using something like strip wash from Adam's mixed with some Dawn dish detergent. That will get all of the caranuba wax off and your paint will be bare. You can spray on an iron remover and rub that in and rinse it off. It will be up to you to do a clay bar at this point. I'm guessing you probably don't need any further paint correction. Wash your car one more time with the strip wash and after you dry it, spray lots of 91% isopropyl alcohol on a microfiber cloth and wipe your whole car down to further remove any paint contaminants. Give it one more wipe with a dry microfiber towel and you are ready to ceramic coat your car.

The Avalon King kit went on incredibly easy. I put it on pretty thick and it easily wiped off. I went over the car twice just to make sure I didn't miss any spots and when I wiped it off a final time let it sit for about 24 hours before I let it get wet so the coating can cure. I could already see the enhanced shine in the garage lights! When I pulled the car out of the garage the first time I actually laughed a little bit at how shiny it was. It's literally like putting a thin sheet of glass over your entire car with an incredible hardness that will resist surface scratches. It is a lot of work but it's totally worth it. It's been 2 years since I put my ceramic coating on and it's still going strong with no sign of degradation. I do occasionally use a ceramic booster spray called NV Lustre that throws on one hell of a shine. This stuff is amazing. You put a couple spritzes on a microfiber applicator pad and a couple of spritzes on each body panel and just rub it on real quick. It dries very quickly and just wipe it off with a microfiber towel. I can do my whole car in 20 minutes after it's dried from a wash. Since your car is darker than mine this spray will really bring out the shine!
Bottle Liquid Drinkware Glass bottle Fluid

I know I've proposed a lot of work but this will remove all of your scratches including the ones in the door handle cups. The ceramic coating will help prevent new ones. One tip is to never go through a car wash with those giant rotating sponges and wheels. All the grime from the cars in front of you stick to those flapper wheels and will do a lot of scratching. I only wash mine at home with a foam cannon and the two bucket method with a pH neutral soap. I hope this helps. 👍

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
It is a lot of work but then you will be able to just sit back and enjoy many years of not having to do anything at all to your paint! You could pay a detail shop to do it but that would cost a fortune. Doing your own ceramic coat isn't for everybody though.

If you want give that cleaner wax a shot and that will at least take care of your scratches and give your paint some slickness and protection so it won't be quite so easily scratched. Just do a thorough wash first and go straight to the wax. With that dark paint of yours it would be good to have some form of protection on it. That cleaner wax will last two or three months. You will be surprised at how well it removes all of your scratches.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
@FozzieBalou I was actually kind of disappointed when I picked up my 19 from the dealer when it showed up. My 2007 Impreza which was the same color had much more gloss and spent its entire life outside. I took good care of the paint though throughout its life. The ceramic coat and gloss booster spray helped a lot on my Forester but it's still not as shiny as my wife's Toyota which was also bought new the same year.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,892 Posts
What is kind of funny (ironic not haha) is that my 2014 Forester (Marine Blue Pearl) still looks pretty good and shiny 8 years later. Yes, I have scratches and such - including some off-road "pin stripes" from some trips. But when I go and get a good wash job, the Foz is all shiny looking - at least for a few days before the desert dusts settle on the body....

The only issue I've had is that the fiberglass parts - the rear spoiler and the panel just below the back window - have faded (badly) because of the regular and constant desert sun and probably that it may be that mine wasn't cured properly from the factory or something... But then I never came on here and started off by complaining about it and threatening a class action suit (see other threads about issues and such)....

My previous vehicle - a 2008 1/2 Mazda 3 (yes, a half year model) was a really great color (called Galaxy Grey) that looked fantastic as well. And even then still shows and acquired small scratches in the finish over the years.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
@danornan yeah I know what you mean. A ceramic coating will help with the staining (if you wanted to go that route). I have a golden chain tree that drops flowers next to the driveway that stains everything. No problem with the flowers or bird poop after the coating.

Something is up with the newer Subaru paint. I know it's "environmentally friendly" paint now but the clear coat is really soft and it lets stains in along with not being as glossy as it could be. Plus as mentioned above just lightly running your fingernail on it will leave a visible scratch. The ceramic coating fixed that but I'm hoping Subaru rethinks their paint formula for future years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.