Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
The driver side mirror on my 2019 Forester Touring was vandalized, with no damage to the door. I brought it in to the dealer that I bought the car from and they wanted over $700 in parts and 2.5 hours of labor for a total of about $1,000. I ended up buying the parts online and installing them myself and the car is good to go. Here's my issue. I know the parts of the mirror are expensive with all the included electronics. However, the most expensive part was the upper cover cap part # 91054AL050 which had a list price of $269.08. This is just a small molded piece of silver colored plastic. Contrast this to the lower cover cap 91054FL210 which lists for 19.95! I did get it for 30% off, but it's still outrageous, anybody here know why? Do I have any recourse?
Thank you.
I'm a retired ins adjuster. Went to my first yard I always used to go to and entered info. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . I did a search local to me. Year is by itself. Complete assy is $105.00 - Car pics show both doors complete and undamaged. Vandalism claims usually have a much smaller deductible and you do not get a surcharge when you turn them in. Only a collision loss where you are at fault are you surcharged. Not sure where you are located but if you're in the US, keep this site in mind or else turn the claim in to your ins co in the future and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The driver side mirror on my 2019 Forester Touring was vandalized, with no damage to the door. I brought it in to the dealer that I bought the car from and they wanted over $700 in parts and 2.5 hours of labor for a total of about $1,000. I ended up buying the parts online and installing them myself and the car is good to go. Here's my issue. I know the parts of the mirror are expensive with all the included electronics. However, the most expensive part was the upper cover cap part # 91054AL050 which had a list price of $269.08. This is just a small molded piece of silver colored plastic. Contrast this to the lower cover cap 91054FL210 which lists for 19.95! I did get it for 30% off, but it's still outrageous, anybody here know why? Do I have any recourse?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I broke the passenger side mirror on my 2018 Forester and purchased aftermarket mirror complete on E-bay for $52.70 with shipping and had it in 3 days. It took me about 40 minutes to remove and replace the mirror. I have 2 older BMW's and your right. From the dealer I find that Forester parts are about twice as expensive as from the BMW dealer in general.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the world of Japanese cars. That is how they are. I found that certain parts are no more than for US built cars and some are really expensive. This is due to the Japanese system of interlocking companies that are suppliers and they do not allow competition for parts prices. This is one reason why for myself I still buy domestic vehicles, even though in general the quality of Japanese vehicles is higher.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
76 Posts
New member, only one post, and didn’t get the response they were looking for.

Every vehicle has those parts that just kill you on pricing at times. Even when I worked for some dealers, the employee cost was brutal, but made for a good side business that my boss didn’t have a problem with since it was still moving product and brining in money.

·
Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
17 Posts
The needless mark up for car parts is not new. In 1984, I was driving across the country in my new Toyota Corolla when a rock took out one headlight. No problem, I was just out side a large city with a Toyota agency. They wanted $28 for that flat headlight. Well, there was a K-Mart just a few blocks away where I was able to buy one that was nearly identical to my original for $10.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
76 Posts
Could have dined like a king in the K-Mart cafeteria with the $18.00 you saved. Miss those days.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts