Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I remote start my car this morning and after about 10 minutes, it says there's an update. Took about 5 minutes for it to download, install, and restart. Does anyone know what fixes were done? I thought firmware updates were only done by the dealer and it was only navigation that got updated? I don't have navigation on the Sport but I do have the larger screen. Any idea what it was?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
190 Posts
I thought firmware updates were only done by the dealer and it was only navigation that got updated?
Nope. You can update both firmware and maps yourself via wifi, it's all in the 2000 pages worth of manuals that came with your car. IIRC the firmware updates are free and unlimited, while map updates are free for 3 years or so, I'd have to look it up.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
447 Posts
When did wifi feature become active? When I picked mine up January '19 it was not active. There were several bugs in HU and was a dealer only upgrade. In the last month or so I've seen a thread downloading update to USB thumbdrive for installation from Subaru website. Is wifi download model specific?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the recent thumbdrive update (19.25.70 ). The only thing that I can see that has changed is better stability, but I no longer have a graphic thumbnail in the FM section. I used to get the local stations thumbnail graphic, and even artists graphics while their songs were playing. Now, that is gone. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
I did the recent thumbdrive update (19.25.70 ). The only thing that I can see that has changed is better stability, but I no longer have a graphic thumbnail in the FM section. I used to get the local stations thumbnail graphic, and even artists graphics while their songs were playing. Now, that is gone. Anyone else experience this?
I'm holding off on updating. They should keep that and remove it on BT audio since it's just a generic album cover.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I’d hold off on updating mine. The built in nav stopped working completely, it’s not showing street names, and refuses to give directions

Took pics of the update prompt and the maps version after installing the update:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
@rattletrap Something got botched during the download. I did the update with USB stick to version
Rel_UE.19.25.70 some time back. Yesterday and today I received messages that my software is up to date, so clearly the WIFI update was checking my version.

Suggest you download from subaru-maps.com and redo the update, this time via USB. Attached is a TSB with instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Suggest you download from subaru-maps.com and redo the update, this time via USB. Attached is a TSB with instructions.
I upgraded via usb because someone had a link to the file from that site. I thought that site was just for dealers. I tried to login with my mysubaru account and it didn't let me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
187 Posts
I upgraded via usb because someone had a link to the file from that site. I thought that site was just for dealers. I tried to login with my mysubaru account and it didn't let me.

You need to create a separate account. There's a button to do so.

edit: so for the third day in a row, this morning a “your system is up to date” banner displayed across my screen. Wonder when that ends.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
141 Posts
It should be noted that the option to connect to home WiFi will only be present for those with the upper trim headunits (Touring, Sport).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
13 Posts
It should be noted that the option to connect to home WiFi will only be present for those with the upper trim headunits (Touring, Sport).
When you say upper trim, do you also mean Nav unit? I have a Sport with the 8” screen upgrade but am not getting any OTA updates nor can I connect to my home’s wireless.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
128 Posts
When you say upper trim, do you also mean Nav unit? I have a Sport with the 8” screen upgrade but am not getting any OTA updates nor can I connect to my home’s wireless.
The manual states.

8-inch with Navi system/8-inch system only: The system software may also be updated by the customer via a Wi-Fi device or using the Aha application on your smartphone (depending on your smartphone communication and transfer speed). The update process involves downloading and installing the software update. Note that system functionality will be restricted during installation.

So it seems that any 8 inch version has the ability Navi or non-Navi. So this is Touring, Limited and optional in Sport (US Spec).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts