Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to purchase, perhaps less than a month out. I've noticed on the "build" options on the Subaru site that options don't seem to be listed the same as I see them here and that the 2019 details aren't on the linked reference site - a remarkable and welcome resource, btw. Probably a Premium but maybe a Sport?

The two particular items I'm interested in are the blind spot detection and the roof rails with integrated tie downs. I've seen the blind spot detection in a couple of packages but some of the packages seem to be excessive for my interests/needs. Is it only a "package" option as opposed to separately orderable? (We have a similar system on a new Sonata and it's pretty handy, and like it even if I've done well without it for quite a few years.)

I do some re-enacting so periodically need to carry some rather long (10-12 foot) tent poles. By having tie loops, as it were, at the front and read ends of the rails, the loads would be easier to stabilize. The Sport rails have the tie loops and I've seen in research, that the option is available on side rails. Also as "parts." I saw them on a limited(?) at a dealer today (and they looked a bit different than the Sport, not just not orange.) I saw rails listed on the sticker but didn't see (or at least notice) a separate listing for the tie down style rails. Can I order these out or would they be a dealer "option?" or I suppose just order them separately and have new rails installed?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
According to the website, it must be ordered as part of a package and, trust me, you want it!

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh definitely want it, but some of the packages I've seen it in seemed to have a fair number of things I'm not too interested in. OTOH, the back up camera is a great feature and really like it, especially for parking lots, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Auto
150 Posts
In US, I believe, only Basic model comes with no roof rails.
Roof rails are the same in Sport and other models. Just orange in sport.
You may need to buy additionally the crossbars.
There are crossbars for Basic model. They installed without roofrails.

You cannot avoid Backup Camera. Is not an option anymore. Standard on "All" cars in US.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Auto
150 Posts
If you live outside of US, you may find one without Eyesight. In US Eyesight is standard even on Basic trim.
Do not mistake with Sonar Sensors for Reverse Braking and Blind Spot Detection.
Eyesight is the stereo cameras near rear view mirror. This is standard, not optional in US.
Reverse Braking and Blind Spot Detection is the sonars, the round sensors on bumpers. This is optional.

P.S. In Canada, the heated seats are standard on all trims.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in Los Angeles, most of the time, the sun does a more than adequate job heating the seats. Although there are some chilly mornings where my wife might find the heated seats welcome. My concern is bundling the blind spot detection in with things like power gates and fancy added speaker/amplifier audio or entertainment systems. Those are high ticket items and of limited interest to me. The US raised rails come two ways, with and without tie down loops. That can be seen in pictures of the Touring and Sport models, as opposed to the Premium and Limited. But there are indications it's an "option," and I'm wondering if it's a dealer installed option for the models. like either the base which has no rails, or as a replacement for the Premium which doesn't have the loops. The rails can be found in parts listings but not sure if the 19s differ from the 18s and the parts list are updated, etc.

One will see discussions of "Popular Package" options when purchase prices are discussed and those aren't detailed in the build info I've seen.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Oh definitely want it, but some of the packages I've seen it in seemed to have a fair number of things I'm not too interested in. OTOH, the back up camera is a great feature and really like it, especially for parking lots, etc.
Welcome to the world of marketing where you have to buy stuff you don't want to get that that you do want. Gotta pay to play my friend so pick the cheapest package that gets you what you want and call it a day:wink2:

·
Registered
2007 Saturn Ion
80 Posts
If I remember correctly, the US has a law saying that every ('new') car sold in the US after a certain date (already in the past) has to have a backup camera. So that should be standard on all trims, along with the Eyesight.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
That's correct. I don't think that date is actually here yet but basically every auto manufacturer is putting it in on all trims now in preparation for it. It's a no-brainer at this point since everyone has infotainment systems now. It's not like cars 10 years ago where you had to pay more to option in a screen.

The more cameras the better IMO. The 360 cameras help a ton when you're parallel parking in the city so you don't nick someone else's bumper or get curb rash. I just wish Subaru wasn't so slow on the camera game since they're all in on safety features.

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5 Sports CVT, SI-Drive (S & I modes)
229 Posts
That's correct. I don't think that date is actually here yet but basically every auto manufacturer is putting it in on all trims now in preparation for it. It's a no-brainer at this point since everyone has infotainment systems now. It's not like cars 10 years ago where you had to pay more to option in a screen.

The more cameras the better IMO. The 360 cameras help a ton when you're parallel parking in the city so you don't nick someone else's bumper or get curb rash. I just wish Subaru wasn't so slow on the camera game since they're all in on safety features.
I'm loving the Side and Front View cameras on my Aus Spec Foz, I'm surprised they were not part of the US Spec :frown2:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
I'm loving the Side and Front View cameras on my Aus Spec Foz, I'm surprised they were not part of the US Spec :frown2:
Yeah no kidding. Nissan and Toyota have gone all in on the camera game so it's weird Subaru has not. Unless it's a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
2019 forester base
178 Posts
Need some advice guys....
I have ordered the 2019 base. One dealer says the base cant be ordered with the fosgate sound upgrade. Another dealer says he can order it and have it installed at port on the base. On the subaru website, you have to move up from base to "build" a vehicle with the sound upgrade. What to do?
Call SOA and ask?
Lastly, if i have to go 3rd party for a sound upgrade (amp and door speakers) would this in any way void the warranty for the 3/36 warranty or a SAS?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2019 forester base
178 Posts
This discussion is a good place for us to start to notify each other of 3rd party vendors who have accessories that fit the 2019. So far on Weather Tech, I dont see any rubber mats or mud guards that claim they fit the 2019 Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,464 Posts
Need some advice guys....
I have ordered the 2019 base. One dealer says the base cant be ordered with the fosgate sound upgrade. Another dealer says he can order it and have it installed at port on the base. On the subaru website, you have to move up from base to "build" a vehicle with the sound upgrade. What to do?
Call SOA and ask?
Lastly, if i have to go 3rd party for a sound upgrade (amp and door speakers) would this in any way void the warranty for the 3/36 warranty or a SAS?
Thanks guys!
Port installed will have the full factory warranty. If you go 3rd-party, you will not void the warranty on the vehicle but you may only have a 1-year warranty on the unit and its installation.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
18 Posts
This discussion is a good place for us to start to notify each other of 3rd party vendors who have accessories that fit the 2019. So far on Weather Tech, I dont see any rubber mats or mud guards that claim they fit the 2019 Forester.
I signed up on their site to be notified when the floor mats are available for the '19 Forester, but the rubber mats that came with the car seem to provide pretty good protection. Not as good as the Weathertechs I've had in the past perhaps, but they do have some built in dish to capture liquids.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Visited a couple of dealers. Sales types seem to know little about racks/differences (although a swap to "add" the tie down loop style might require headliner removal? to do, so that's probably out as an approach). Seems likely that with moonroofs, will need crossrails, etc., anyways as opposed to laying them directly on roof/cinched to side rails, as I have on various prior vehicles. Lots of load carrying approaches out there with various third parties so will just figure it out... Like that the under deck area is shaped to fit the cargo cover. With two dogs to carry, it's going to be in and out depending on the trip.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
41 Posts
the rubber mats that came with the car seem to provide pretty good protection. Not as good as the Weathertechs I've had in the past perhaps, but they do have some built in dish to capture liquids.
I agree. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the factory rubber mats. They definitely look and feel like they can stand up to some actual usage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts