Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’ve got about 800 miles so far on my new Forester, but I’m only getting about 22.5 MPG. Granted, I’ve done probably 75-80% of those miles in the city, speed under 50, if not under 40.

But the sticker MPG says 27 city. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Stop and go and any traffic at all, my mileage drops significantly.

If I’m all highway, 32-35 mpg easy.

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
190 Posts
Depends which one you're trying to reset.. The MPG counter that is displayed near the speedometer you can hold the "trip" button to reset. There's another MPG counter that is linked to your driving profile.. I THINK that one can only be reset by deleting your profile and making another one.

Reactions: SubiDad19

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends which one you're trying to reset.. The MPG counter that is displayed near the speedometer you can hold the "trip" button to reset. There's another MPG counter that is linked to your driving profile.. I THINK that one can only be reset by deleting your profile and making another one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester (un)Limited
172 Posts
Short trips and stop/go is not great for mileage. Take it for a good long trip. Good for engine break in.
I have read and researched differently. If you want to break in your car better, it is best to vary your RPMs instead of letting your engine drone on and on. I did this with my FXT and WRX and have had great luck. In a previous life I had an Outback and that broke in ok after a couple trips down to Colorado Springs and back. Definitely something not too noticeable. I just know not to rev the engine super high when breaking it in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
793 Posts
If you want to break in your car better, it is best to vary your RPMs instead of letting your engine drone on and on.
Which matches the owner's manual guidance...

The performance and long life of your vehicle are dependent on how you handle and care for your vehicle while it is new. Follow these instructions during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):
. Do not race the engine or allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.
. Do not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed, either fast or slow.
. Avoid starting suddenly and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency.
. Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency.

The same break-in procedures should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine or when brake pads are replaced with new ones.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
2 Posts
So I’ve got about 800 miles so far on my new Forester, but I’m only getting about 22.5 MPG. Granted, I’ve done probably 75-80% of those miles in the city, speed under 50, if not under 40.

But the sticker MPG says 27 city. Should I be concerned?
My 2020 Fores and registered 600 miles already but my MPG is 21.5 with 65% freeway andd 35% sidestreet. I feel this not normal considering the rating to be 27/33. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depending on city vs highway driving, I'm getting between 25mpg to 32mpg. Not bad considering I have Yokohama Geolander A/T tires.

On a side note, I really hate that Gas Mileage bar on top of the gauge. It doesn't really give me any useful information. I mean I already know the gas mileage will going down when I step on the gas pedal...duh?! Its constant back-and-forth movement is really distracting when I'm driving. My BMWs had similar gas mileage indicator dial but at least it was smaller and much less noticeable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2020 Fores and registered 600 miles already but my MPG is 21.5 with 65% freeway andd 35% sidestreet. I feel this not normal considering the rating to be 27/33. Any ideas?
I am in the same boat. 2020 Forester Touring. During the first tank of gas, I assumed the dealer had left it running while setting things up, which is why the mileage was bad. Now on the second tank, I got up to 33-34 on my drive to work in the morning with minimal stop and go all highway. Driving home is all traffic and 70% highway. It has now dropped to 25, which means its getting near 20 to average that out. With the EPA estimate at 26 city/33 highway, 29 combined. I expected to get close to the combined number. I have the aero crossbars on my roof, so that does not help, but I am also purposefully not trying to accelerate quickly and generally driving for mileage.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
My '19 Crosstrek gets 29 mpg in summer on short trips in 30 degree weather it gets 22/23 on the same trips

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
I have about 8,000 miles on my 1 year old Forester and in FLATlorida, I'm regularly getting an average of about 30 MPG with a 50/50 mix of city and interstate. I actually got better on a trip to NC. The difference between the calculator in the car is about 1MPG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 now has 12k miles on it and I'm still only getting 22.5mpg on long trips and even less city mileage. It's very frustrating!

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
137 Posts
for anyone "trusting" their mfd mpg display - i suggest you manually calculate the mpg next time you fill up. in my experience, the mfd mpg calculator tends to lean a bit on the conservative side...

for those who have no idea how to do it... fill up your tank to the max next fill-up. reset your trip odometer. next fill-up, fill to the max (try to hit the same mark as before... so for some that's 3 extra pumps after the handle shuts off or whatever). look at how many gallons of fuel the car took. divide your trip odometer miles by your fuel. presto-chango you've done it

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 2000 km I’m only getting 20 mpg in city driving. Very disappointing. That’s even being gentle with the accelerator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts