Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. got this car used yesterday from a non-subaru dealer out of state. Somehow i didn't notice this when i was making the deal, but checking things out this morning and found oil pooling in the filter tray. I assume there's a gasket that isn't sealed well, or imperfections on the seating of the tray. Is this something that - IF a new filter doesn't fix - should be warranted under 3/36k normal warranty?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
276 Posts
That can happen from a routine replacing of the filter. Use a rag to wipe away the oil in the catch and make sure the filter is screwed on snugly.

I would also check the oil to ensure there isn't or hasn't been a significant loss.

If after driving the vehicle again you have oil present in the catch again, you may have a problem. It may be a simple as having a bad/wrong filter installed, or something else, and it would be time to take it in.

My initial guess would be that the non-subaru dealer installed a non-subaru filter (obviously, that is not an OEM filter), and either that is the problem, or the tech that did the oil change simply didn't take the time to clean the spent oil out of the catch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silly noob question, does the oil drain out of that filter without opening the system via filler cap or drain plug, or is oil kept up in the filter due to some vacuum that should be created. I haven't had a car with this orientation before.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When draining the oil, some oil will remain in the filter. With it in the upright position, some will drip into that tray.

When I change my oil on my 2019 I always open the fill cap first (the yellow cap next to the filter in your photo) and then drain the oil from the pan. I will then loosen the oil filter to allow any remaining oil to drain from the filter. I rotate the tires while the oil drains, just to give it some time to drain. It makes it a really clean job.

EDIT: Oil should not drain from that filter during normal operation. The filter has a gasket. So long as the correct filter is installed correctly there should not be oil present in the tray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the tips. Im not driving it lately due to staying and working at home, but is the consensus that I should try to replace only the filter before taking it in or should I just set a visit up and have the dealership check it out.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,944 Posts
Before taking it to a dealer for what just might be a problem with the o-ring on an aftermarket filter, I would replace the existing aftermarket filter with a Subaru OEM filter. Before installing the new Subaru filter wipe the filter cup clean of oil and examine/touch the metal surface (where the oil filter seals) for any imperfection that may cause a leak. Be careful not to overtighten the new filter and check your oil level when finished. Monitor the new filter for a leak. Bet you don't find one after changing the filter.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
190 Posts
I agree with @supasta and @ForesterBill advice above to take a rag (or paper towel) and wipe the oil out of the channel surrounding the base of the filter. There may have just been some left in the old filter the last time it was changed, and the tech didn't clean up after himself. Wipe that little channel clean and see if the oil comes back.

BTW, there is a small indention (at least on my '19) at about the 2-o'clock position as you face the engine, that holds a few drops of oil and looks like it may the intake for a tube or something, but it's not. It doesn't appear to go anywhere. ???

However, that filter doesn't look familiar to me and may be a cheap knock-off or "it's about the same size as a Subaru filter, so use this one, Jim-Bob". If they cheaped out on the filter, they may have cheaped out and used non-synthetic oil.

In any case, I would get a real Subaru filter and change it and the oil ASAP.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@RidingWV makes an important point to change the oil as well. It may be recommended. If the "non-Subaru" dealer used the wrong filter (as we are postulating here), the chances of having Subaru 0W-20 synthetic in that car is slim.

@Hankhill11 are you able to provide a photo or information on the brand and part number for that filter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was leaning towards filter and oil change. It looks like napa brand 27055.

Since I don't have a Subaru filter handy I'll clean the little well out before I drive next, and see how it goes. Failing that, oil and filter change will be next. I work from home these days so I haven't driven it much since buying it last Friday

·
Registered
276 Posts
Napa website confirms that fitment for a 2019 Forester. So, you're good there.

Make sure the filter is snug. Clean out the catch with a rag. Start the car and let it run for a few minutes. You'll know pretty quick if there is a problem.

I'm sure it was just from changing the filter.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
190 Posts
Updating my reply back on Post #7, now that I see it's a NAPA filter it's probably at least an OK filter. No reasonable way to check if the oil is correct synth. However, if it was me, I would feel a lot better going ahead and changing the oil and filter using good 0W-20 Synthetic and a Subaru filter. You can buy the filter at the dealer for around $7 and a jug of synthetic oil at WalMart for about $22.

If you change it yourself, I would recommend changing the oil drain plug to the Subaru one with a 17mm head. (The stock is a 14mm head and can be hard to get off without rounding the bolt) You can get the 17mm drain plug at the dealer for about $7-$8 if I remember correctly. Get crush washers too. Flat side faces drain plug head, rounded side faces the oil pan. Torque to 30 lb/ft.

And, remember to clean off the filter tray when you remove the old filter. :) Hand tighten the new filter "snug", not gut-wrenching. On mine, being the OCD paranoid self that I am, I made a small mark on the tray with a permanent marker. Then, when a new filter is installed, I make a small mark on the filter lined up with that mark. Then, I can check to see if the filter starts loosening by itself. In 40 years of changing my own oil, I've never had one back off.

Oh - Keep records of all maintenance.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
10 Posts
Before taking it to a dealer for what just might be a problem with the o-ring on an aftermarket filter, I would replace the existing aftermarket filter with a Subaru OEM filter. Before installing the new Subaru filter wipe the filter cup clean of oil and examine/touch the metal surface (where the oil filter seals) for any imperfection that may cause a leak. Be careful not to overtighten the new filter and check your oil level when finished. Monitor the new filter for a leak. Bet you don't find one after changing the filter.
IMO: Subaru OEM filter is junk. Use a better filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cleaned the tray off, removed the filter and made sure its gasket was clean, quick run around the gasket with some clean oil and reseated it. I haven't gone anywhere yet, but did run the car long enough to warm up to operating temp. I'll be heading out for a quick drive today. The tray remained clean and dry during that warm up.

Either way, I feel the same as RidingWV, and ordered oil chance supplies and will do that regardless this coming weekend.

thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad news crew! I managed to have to take a 2 hour drive today for work. I checked this when i got home, and sure enough, oil has pooled in the tray again. Next step is the full oil change and new filter. That'll happen after work today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,617 Posts
Takes about 2 minutes to replace a filter. Just replace it and make sure the oil level is up, unless you really "need" to change oil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts