Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2019 Forester Sport. Looking to stock up on a couple oil filters. I can not believe that K&N has an air filter, but no oil filter. Even looked at auto parts stores with their online look up. Nothing shows.
What filters are the best and part number please.
I learned from my outback to stay away form Mobil 1 oil at least.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,791 Posts
I don't know why the 1010 won't fit engine basically the same as 2018

Purolator Boss 14610
Fram Ultra 7317 Double check

These filters have a lower bypass setting. Personally I see no problem with that unless you leave the filter in there for 25000 miles

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
310 Posts
Don't forget to get the correct crush washer for the drain plug. Buying OEM filter from dealer, you can get the correct size washer while you're at it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
200 Posts
Tennlabs, the correct Purolator filter is not the 14610 but the 14615 which has the correct higher bypass pressure. However Security Guy has a point. If the 2019 warranty requires a 6000 miles oil change, the costly Puro Boss is a waste of money. I would get it for a 10k change but not for 6k, I got a 6 pack first of the OEM, used them on my 2017, then got the current 12 pack, comes out to $5.35 per filter. And if you use the OEM you won't have to hear any dealer warranty B.S. if you ever have a claim.
BTW the case of OEM can be ordered on ebay with 12 crush washers for another $5.00, so you can save on those as well.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
Boss and Fram Ultra have fiberglass depth media. I believer there is also an NAPA and WIX )(probably the same) that have it. He asked for the "Best". Not saying others will not do the job. But fiberglass depth media traps like 10 times more dirt and will filter better. There have been studies where better filters can significantly cut wear.
Example: https://forums.noria.com/topic/critical-particle-sizes-in-engine-oil

·
Registered
249 Posts
the current blue subaru oil filter is made by fram/allied signal. and internally is a standard fram filter, the boss, fram ULTRA and wix xp/napa platinum are all much better, imo stronger and use wire backed synthetic media to both filter and allow greater oil flow volume, , the olde black subaru filter.was/is Roki and it is similar to wix and napa gold . the napa gold/wix has a 2 piece bypass valve system that some dont like, ------------ with a new subaru. and under warranty;........ despite the law concerning after market parts, many dealers will try to stall you off citing the oil filters and oil, ........it is your choice,.......... the difference between cheap filters, cheap oil and the best is only 50 to 75$ /year for most guys, , imo, spend the extra money when you can do so, for your 30k$ car

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
t the difference between cheap filters, cheap oil and the best is only 50 to 75$ /year for most guys, , imo, spend the extra money when you can do so, for your 30k$ car
Yup

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information. Google is driving me nuts. Looked at Royal Purple video - nice filter - used their oil on a diesel VW a long time ago. But there are comments about it not being good on the Subaru. Then looked at Amsoil and can not get past thinking it is like a amway company. The K&N is about $5 more - and if better, not bad since I don't spend money like some do on fancy coffee every day. Plus I spend the extra money when I fuel up with 100% gas no ethanol. I watched a video with them cutting open the Subaru filter - looks like the Fram. Then looked at the K&N and other filters - guess you get what you pay for. Do you really need it - I plan to keep my car for awhile and look at it as preventative maintenance. Now these videos have me looking at other oils also. Staying away from Mobil 1. Probably go with Castrol. Is there a thread for only rating oil filters and oil? New to this forum and trying to find my way around it. Thanks for all that replied and keep the advice coming.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
200 Posts
The problem is buying into the deceptive advertising. The fact is that the Subaru filter is an upgraded Fram design as per Subaru Specs with a combined natural and fiberglass-synthetic blended element, also a newly designed gasket after the fiasco over that years ago. It has a 95% first pass rating, the Purolator Boss 99% Thus the Boss is stopping roughly four percent more fine particles (not 10 times or anything near that.) Of course depth loading will eventually store more, so the BOSS is rated 15000 miles. There is just one problem-Subaru wants the oil and filter out at 6000 or you void the warranty. So I still see the BOSS, with me under warranty throwing it out every oil change, as a total waste of money IMOP, may revise that when warranty expires.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,534 Posts
Boss and Fram Ultra have fiberglass depth media. I believer there is also an NAPA and WIX )(probably the same) that have it. He asked for the "Best". Not sayhing others will not do the job. But fiberglass depth media traps like j0 times more dirt and will filter better. There have been studies where better filters can significantly cut wear.
So by using OEM filters you'll only get 300K miles out of your engine instead of 350K miles:wink2:

No one will own their cars long enough for an oil filter to make any significant difference. What did P.T. Barnum say???

People buying Mobil1 filters, K&N oil filters, Royal Purple oil filters are just paying far more than necessary to make you feel good. Not helping much in the overall scheme of things and, unless you have money to burn, sticking with a $5-$6 OEM Subaru filter will do just fine:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
People buying Mobil1 filters, K&N oil filters, Royal Purple oil filters are just paying far more than necessary to make you feel good. Not helping much in the overall scheme of things and, unless you have money to burn, sticking with a $5-$6 OEM Subaru filter will do just fine:thumbsup:
Not arguing with you. But I run longer oil change intervals and buildup of particles occurs at longer OCI's. So I choose to pay 5 bucks more for filter.

All of us here wast more money on a car than makes sense...bc we can. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Forester
164 Posts
It's simple lookup your car and engine at the Amsoil site and all your car info and requirements of oil and filters.
Amsoil makes some of the best filters, 5 Micron. I use the extended 15,000 mile filter. Yup money to burn.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Ltd cvt
362 Posts
I'd be afraid to give the manufacturer any excuses to avoid warrany claims by using aftermarket parts, including filters.
I recall having a Triumph bike in for work within warranty and the first question was "what Brand of oil are you using?" Luckily it was Triumph branded Mobil 1 so that was the end of that inquiry.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I'd be afraid to give the manufacturer any excuses to avoid warrany claims by using aftermarket parts, including filters.
Its not an issue. If they don't approve aftermarket parts like filters or oil than they are required to supply them free.:

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

"No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
I use Wix #57055 filters, also sold as a Napa Gold. I use them on our 14 Forester that now has 102K miles on it and on our 15 Outback that has 60K on it. I but then by the case from Rockauto for about $4.00 each. I use a Fumoto valve on each car so I don't need crush washers for the drain plug.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's the issue with Mobil 1 oil ?
When I had my Outback the Mobil One was burning oil. Not much but enough to notice. The replies I got on the outback forum got me to stay far away from Mobil One. Plan on using Castrol.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts