Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been doing DIY oil changes for over 35 years so I have done literally hundreds of oil changes - Hondas, Toyotas, Suzuki, Subarus - including most of the 43 lifetime oil changes on my 2010 Forester that has a 17mm oil drain plug. I never rounded or damaged an oil drain plug until my first oil change on my 2018 Forester with the dinky 14mm head. I've used the same wrench set over these DIY decades so I don't think the problem is cheap tools or lack of experience.
Same but I have only been doing this 18 years. Is the drain plug aluminum? I also found I have to use a 6 pt socket or it's a no go.

After rounding the Crosstrek, I switched to an oil extractor and never touch the drain plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So , I too have rounded the crappy 14mm bolt on my Forester. Craftsman tools , so not the tool. Been changing my own oil for 26 years, so not experience.
My question now is , how to remove the partially rounded plug, and replace it with the 17 mm I have on order.
While I’m waiting for the part , I’m going to try the new oil extractor I bought today

·
Registered
175 Posts
The key is to use a 6 pt socket on the first oil change. The impact socket I used was very tight to the bolt head and it broke free easily

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
I’m confused... Not really understanding how one rounds a drain bolt. Use the correct tool for a job and no issues should arise.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,025 Posts
I’m confused... Not really understanding how one rounds a drain bolt. Use the correct tool for a job and no issues should arise.
You would think so but many of us have rounded the 14mm head with the same wrench set we have been using for years on other drain bolts without a problem. I've been doing DIY oil changes for 35 years and never had a problem with a drain bolt until the first time I attempted to remove the dinky 14mm drain plug on my 2018 Forester. I replaced it with a 17mm plug like I had on my 2010 Forester. Here's just one of the threads about the problem:

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
257 Posts
IMHO one of the main reasons is that it sits at an angle to the ground. On all other oil pans I've come across it's either perfectly horizontal or vertical, making it easier (more natural) for the person lying on the ground to hold the socket dead on the bolt.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts