Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I have a 2019 Forester (my first Subaru) and I plan to do the 18,000 mile oil change this week.

I can't find the details on drain plug location for our 2019 model.

Is it like other years and at a 45 degree angle from horizontal, nearest the bumper in front of the front axle?

I haven't had the belly plate off and don't see a cutout or smaller panel access in that area. Do I need to drop the whole belly plate to access it?

I have an extractor but read it can be a problem through the dip stick so would like to drain on my first change for comparison.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
@EncoreJoe

Consider ordering a Fumoto valve and install it after your oil change. It makes oil changes much easier.

I believe you will need an F108, but double check with Fumoto.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,944 Posts
If it is anything like the 2018 the engine oil drain plug is hidden above a removable 6"x9" panel that is attached to the splash shield with five plastic screw clips. Remove the 6"x9" panel and leave it off to make the next oil change easier.

Another potential headache is the oil drain plug with a dinky 14mm head. Be careful or you will round it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
430 Posts
2019 has a small access door on the plastic belly pan. It has 4 little pop-up clip things (don't know what they are called) and a screw. Us a flat-blade screw driver to gently lift the center of the pop-up and the whole thing comes right out of the hole. Take out all four. Leave the screw in place. Rotate the access door out of the way.

Inside, you will find the same 45-ish degree plug arrangement that 2014 - 2018 has. My wife's 2019 has a 14mm drain plug. There are 17mm replacements available if that floats your boat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
190 Posts
There is a small access panel that removes from the belly panel. With filter 4.4 Quarts, drain bolt 30 foot-pounds.
I, too, am getting ready to do my first oil change on our '19. The dealer did the first one, and replaced the 14mm drain bolt with a 17mm.

The access panel is pretty well marked and easy to get off. I slid under the car without even putting it on the ramps just to take a look, and I think I could do the drain just like that.

QUESTION - I have looked all over trying to find the torque for the drain plug. You mention 30 lb/ft. Where did you find that info? It's right in line with the KIA Soul we had - between 28-30. But, I have yet to see it on any official Subaru documents. I'd feel more comfortable if I saw it in writing, even though I feel 30 is probably spot-on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
30 foot pounds was what I repeatedly found on google for this motor. It seemed about right for the application based on my 30+ years of doing oil changes. Usually I don't even use a torque wrench as it's just not that critical as long as you don't over tighten. If you use a new crush washer you just tighten until it stops crushing when you feel it suddenly turn harder.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've been performing DIY oil changes for 35 years and never used a torque wrench to tighten an engine oil drain plug. Never had one leak and never had one over-tightened.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
564 Posts
QUESTION - I have looked all over trying to find the torque for the drain plug. You mention 30 lb/ft. Where did you find that info? It's right in line with the KIA Soul we had - between 28-30. But, I have yet to see it on any official Subaru documents. I'd feel more comfortable if I saw it in writing, even though I feel 30 is probably spot-on.
From the 2019 shop manual...

Install the drain plug using a new gasket.
Tightening torque:
41.7N·m (4.3kgf-m, 30.8ft-lb)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
266 Posts
Could one of you explain why a 17mm drain plug is preferable and also recommend which 17mm drain plug to purchase?

thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
266 Posts
Cool. I have a 2020 so I’d assume this will not work?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There have been many reports on this forum about the difficulty of removing and/or rounding the 14mm oil drain bolt. Read some of the complaints HERE.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
564 Posts
There have been many reports on this forum about the difficulty of removing and/or rounding the 14mm oil drain bolt. Read some of the complaints HERE.
Apparently there are enough folks not keeping the socket square to the nut and denting the drain pan, that Subaru issued a TSB on it. I can see this happening if you're not careful. The TSB is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Most of the problems with the 14mm drain bolt were on the first oil change, perhaps because Subaru installs the drain plug before painting the pan which results in the plug being "glued". Say what you want but I don't recall ever seeing a complaint on this forum about damaging/rounding the 17mm drain plug that Subaru previously used.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 2011 Legacy with over 100k had the original 14mm drain plug until the last oil change - no issues. Don't use cheap tools and know what you're doing. Really simple.

Was still using same crush washer, no leaks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've been doing DIY oil changes for over 35 years so I have done literally hundreds of oil changes - Hondas, Toyotas, Suzuki, Subarus - including most of the 43 lifetime oil changes on my 2010 Forester that has a 17mm oil drain plug. I never rounded or damaged an oil drain plug until my first oil change on my 2018 Forester with the dinky 14mm head. I've used the same wrench set over these DIY decades so I don't think the problem is cheap tools or lack of experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts