Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Oil Change - I did my first oil change

('19+) 
11K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  boureesub 
#1 ·
I did my first oil change at 3,548 km (2,218 miles). I know it is too early to do the oil change but I thought with winter on its way I will do it now. The oil drain plug access panel was easy to remove and the drain plug needs a 14 mm socket to remove it. The oil filter is part # 15208AA15A (Cdn $11.95) and the drain plug gasket part #803916010 (Cdn $1.49. Both are Subaru part #s. The drain plug gasket is a compression type of gasket so I wouldn't reuse the old one.The oil I used is Castrol Edge 0W20. I liked the ease of access to the oil filter.

#3 ·
That OCI depends on the type of driving @marty2019 is doing. If he does mainly short 5km trips and then shuts down for like 8 hours before he starts up again, then the 3500-4000km OCI is correct. Also combined with the the fact that he is driving a 2019 which is a GDI engine, that do not warm up as fast as the old port injection engines, the oil never get's a chance to reach operating temperature with those short trips making life even harder for the engine oil.

#12 ·
Yup. Just no value in changing more frequently. There is evidence that oil with several thousand miles has more lubricity than virgin oil. But no matter. I have also witnessed many thousands of UOA's and the wear rate is the same from 3000 to 6000 miles as 0 to 3000. But its a personal choice.

#17 ·
Wow!

About how many miles is 3 months for you?

What’s the typical or acceptable level of fuel dilution before an oil change is mandatory?

I drive typically 1,500 miles a month - mostly all highway with a little traffic going to work but smooth sailing coming home.

I already had my free dealer oil change and brought it in at almost 3K miles. I am thinking about 5K intervals.

#18 ·
Wow!

About how many miles is 3 months for you?

What’s the typical or acceptable level of fuel dilution before an oil change is mandatory?

I drive typically 1,500 miles a month - mostly all highway with a little traffic going to work but smooth sailing coming home.

I already had my free dealer oil change and brought it in at almost 3K miles. I am thinking about 5K intervals.
My wife drives about 2500 km, 1550 miles. The dip stick smells of fuel. Subaru is aware of the issue with vehicles driven short distance. My 2019 Forester has 2100 km since new. I will change the oil at 6000 km and get a uoa.

#26 ·
I am not much of a muscle person so I used a longer bar (10 inch) and it came loose. Don't forget to put a new drain plug washer when putting the drain plug back. As far as the oil filter is concerned use a top down filter removing tool rather than a wrap around tool. There is not much room to turn the filter housing with a wrap around tool.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.