Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change at 3,548 km (2,218 miles). I know it is too early to do the oil change but I thought with winter on its way I will do it now. The oil drain plug access panel was easy to remove and the drain plug needs a 14 mm socket to remove it. The oil filter is part # 15208AA15A (Cdn $11.95) and the drain plug gasket part #803916010 (Cdn $1.49. Both are Subaru part #s. The drain plug gasket is a compression type of gasket so I wouldn't reuse the old one.The oil I used is Castrol Edge 0W20. I liked the ease of access to the oil filter.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,540 Posts
That OCI depends on the type of driving @marty2019 is doing. If he does mainly short 5km trips and then shuts down for like 8 hours before he starts up again, then the 3500-4000km OCI is correct. Also combined with the the fact that he is driving a 2019 which is a GDI engine, that do not warm up as fast as the old port injection engines, the oil never get's a chance to reach operating temperature with those short trips making life even harder for the engine oil.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That OCI depends on the type of driving @marty2019 is doing. If he does mainly short 5km trips and then shuts down for like 8 hours before he starts up again, then the 3500-4000km OCI is correct. Also combined with the the fact that he is driving a 2019 which is a GDI engine, that do not warm up as fast as the old port injection engines, the oil never get's a chance to reach operating temperature with those short trips making life even harder for the engine oil.
I commute like this. 5km to work. 5km to home. Every day.

But 3500km seems really short for full synthetic.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,540 Posts

I would suggest reading the owners manual regarding "Severe Operating Conditions". But 5km is considered short trips. The only way to know for sure the condition of your oil is to send a oil sample off when you do your next oil change. Another test you can do is drive the 5km to work. Shut off the engine, pull the dip stick out and feel the temperature of the oil. If the oil has truly reached operating temperature it should feel hot and not just "warm", ie room temperature, ie 25-40C. I know living here in Dallas, during the summer with ambient temperature in the 37C, I still have to drive at least 8-10km before the oil on the dip stick feels hot. If I drive the 5km and pull the dip stick here the oil feels 25-40C.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,659 Posts
I’ve never seen a uoa on a Subaru that specced 6k changes with synthetic that couldn’t actually go the 6k. Fuel dilution or not.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts

That is hard on the engine.

Go shopping,restaurant,sightseeing across town at least once a week, at least 25 miles, one way, to burn out the accumulating moisture and fuel in the crankcase.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
I would suggest reading the owners manual regarding "Severe Operating Conditions". But 5km is considered short trips. The only way to know for sure the condition of your oil is to send a oil sample off when you do your next oil change. Another test you can do is drive the 5km to work. Shut off the engine, pull the dip stick out and feel the temperature of the oil. If the oil has truly reached operating temperature it should feel hot and not just "warm", ie room temperature, ie 25-40C. I know living here in Dallas, during the summer with ambient temperature in the 37C, I still have to drive at least 8-10km before the oil on the dip stick feels hot. If I drive the 5km and pull the dip stick here the oil feels 25-40C.
Its always smart to change the oil for sure. Question about the temperature thing...the dash has an oil temp display and on mine it gets up to 160 pretty quickly. Do you think that ready is very accurate for considering the oil being heated up?

Thanks!
DAVE

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,540 Posts
Its always smart to change the oil for sure. Question about the temperature thing...the dash has an oil temp display and on mine it gets up to 160 pretty quickly. Do you think that ready is very accurate for considering the oil being heated up?

Thanks!
DAVE
Don't know if its accurate or not. But it's better than nothing. I consider 160F/70C just shy of operating temperature. Oil needs to reach 200F/90C in order to quickly boil moisture out of the oil/oil crankcase. My current 2001 Forester does not have an oil temperature gauge, hence I use the dip stick method to determine oil temperature. My other vehicle is a Mercedes ML 350 Diesel, and I am able to display on my cell phone both the Coolant and Oil Temperature. Driving the Mercedes, I find the oil temperature peaks around 5 -15 minutes later than the coolant peak. When it does peak it's usually around 202F/94C. Oil by it's very nature will always take longer increase/decrease in temperature relative to Coolant's increase/decrease in temperature.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,142 Posts
I’ve never seen a uoa on a Subaru that specced 6k changes with synthetic that couldn’t actually go the 6k. Fuel dilution or not.
Yup. Just no value in changing more frequently. There is evidence that oil with several thousand miles has more lubricity than virgin oil. But no matter. I have also witnessed many thousands of UOA's and the wear rate is the same from 3000 to 6000 miles as 0 to 3000. But its a personal choice.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
... There is evidence that oil with several thousand miles has more lubricity than virgin oil...
I find that interesting. Could you share more on that? Is that due to the oil shearing down possibly?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,142 Posts
I will see if I can relocate it. Probably not a big deal. I think more important is a filter that filters with a lower micron rating.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
I'll file that claim away as waiting for documentation.

Reactions: UhOh

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a 2018 Crosstrek. We change the oil every three months. The car is driven short distances. I do my own oil changes and have a uoa done at every oil change. We have over 5% fuel on every report with a recommendation to change the oil immediately. A pain in the butt and expensive. I send the reports to the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Wow!

About how many miles is 3 months for you?

What’s the typical or acceptable level of fuel dilution before an oil change is mandatory?

I drive typically 1,500 miles a month - mostly all highway with a little traffic going to work but smooth sailing coming home.

I already had my free dealer oil change and brought it in at almost 3K miles. I am thinking about 5K intervals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow!

About how many miles is 3 months for you?

What’s the typical or acceptable level of fuel dilution before an oil change is mandatory?

I drive typically 1,500 miles a month - mostly all highway with a little traffic going to work but smooth sailing coming home.

I already had my free dealer oil change and brought it in at almost 3K miles. I am thinking about 5K intervals.
My wife drives about 2500 km, 1550 miles. The dip stick smells of fuel. Subaru is aware of the issue with vehicles driven short distance. My 2019 Forester has 2100 km since new. I will change the oil at 6000 km and get a uoa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did my first oil change at 3,548 km (2,218 miles). I know it is too early to do the oil change but I thought with winter on its way I will do it now. The oil drain plug access panel was easy to remove and the drain plug needs a 14 mm socket to remove it. The oil filter is part # 15208AA15A (Cdn $11.95) and the drain plug gasket part #803916010 (Cdn $1.49. Both are Subaru part #s. The drain plug gasket is a compression type of gasket so I wouldn't reuse the old one.The oil I used is Castrol Edge 0W20. I liked the ease of access to the oil filter.
Was the drain plug hard to remove - not the access, just the force needed to remove the plug?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Please keep us updated. Thank you so much.

I don’t think I have any fuel dilution issues at this point but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

My wife drives about 2500 km, 1550 miles. The dip stick smells of fuel. Subaru is aware of the issue with vehicles driven short distance. My 2019 Forester has 2100 km since new. I will change the oil at 6000 km and get a uoa.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts