Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally installed my Mishimoto Oil Catch Can. I also replaced the PCV (preventative maintenance).

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,879 Posts
@QMaze removes oil mist so it doesn't return to the intake and so reduces carbon buildup in the intake manifold.

@Whitesc Nice job. Is that PCV hose or heater hose you've used? I found that the blue heater hose I used on my diesel Triton eventually leached oil and I had to remove it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@QMaze Thanks! I spent a great deal thinking about what parts I wanted to use and the route the hoses take.

Benefits: If you haven’t already read the threads pertaining to a few PCV’s basically grenading causing the engine to suck oil and force a shutdown. No one is certainon what Build Date Subaru changed to installing the new PCV part number. So as a precaution I spent $17 on a new p/n PCV and changed it during the install.
GDI engines have a decent amount of blow-by. A catch can separates the vapors from the PCV and allows the oil to separate (also water & gas) and returns clean air(cleaner vapors) into the intake.

A member here posted a picture of his catch can after about 4-4.5k miles. Can had about 1/2” of oil.

I plan on checking the catch can every 1000 miles until I establish a baseline then will adjust how often the system needs maintenance.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kevin Thanks man. The hose I used is a JEGS -AN10 Push-Loc Hose; Nitrile covered, high tensile synthetic braid reinforced hose. Non-PTFE.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
@QMaze Thanks! I spent a great deal thinking about what parts I wanted to use and the route the hoses take.

Benefits: If you haven’t already read the threads pertaining to a few PCV’s basically grenading causing the engine to suck oil and force a shutdown. No one is certainon what Build Date Subaru changed to installing the new PCV part number. So as a precaution I spent $17 on a new p/n PCV and changed it during the install.
GDI engines have a decent amount of blow-by. A catch can separates the vapors from the PCV and allows the oil to separate (also water & gas) and returns clean air(cleaner vapors) into the intake.

A member here posted a picture of his catch can after about 4-4.5k miles. Can had about 1/2” of oil.

I plan on checking the catch can every 1000 miles until I establish a baseline then will adjust how often the system needs maintenance.
Wow that is something I didnt know, I assume this is an issue due to engine design. Excellent information.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@QMaze Glad to hear. What year is your Foz? Didn’t think ADD had a direct fit for the 19’s; MY18 and earlier yes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
@QMaze Glad to hear. What year is your Foz? Didn’t think ADD had a direct fit for the 19’s; MY18 and earlier yes.
I have a 2019 as well. I contacted the ADD W1 and they requested engine bay pictures and when they replied they said the 2018 Forester kit will work in my engine bay. So I guess I will confirm either way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@QMaze Its super simple. Just lift up on the front of the cover (just enough until you pop off from the tabs). Then slide forward.
Install is reversed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Thank you, hopefully this kit works cause looking at your pics my included hoses look like for smaller fittings.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@QMaze As long as the hose is 5/8” I.D. you shouldn’t have any issues. I chose to use swivel head AN10 fittings so I can easily remove without constantly removing the hose from a barbed fitting.
So whatever size came with your kit, just make sure it’s 5/8” I.D. Hose.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@QMaze I didn’t see what size hose and barb fittings came with your ADD kit. If you think the hose is too small, you’re going to have to replace the two port fittings to a proper 5/8” barb or AN10 barb.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Fits perfectly under the motor cover but hoses and fittings are too small, so I need to give them sizes and they will send new fittings and hoses.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@QMaze Can looks good.

The hose I used is AN10 hose (5/8” I.D.)
The fittings: new fittings for your can depends on the threads on your can. Need to find that or match the threads from the fittings. Whatever size you need with a 5/8” barb. The PCV and intake is 5/8”.

Just to give you an idea, the following is what I used:

I chose to use these parts and colors. Size of the barbs and hose stays the same but color and manufacture of fittings, hoses and catch can may vary.

Conversion fittings
Straight Fitting
90 degree fitting
AN10 hose

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
@Whitesc Thank you very much. I contacted ADD W1 and they were pretty cool, they just said provide them with sizing and they will send out new hoses and fittings, this kit they sent was for a Crosstrek but looks like all their Subaru kits have 9mm / 15mm fittings, the bracket is the only thing that will work as is. Your dimensions will help, thank you very much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts