Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bough a 2019 Forester. I know the engine has been through some redesign. However, I'm reading in the owners manual that engine oil capacity is 4.4 quarts. What?!? My 2014 NA Forester, it's 5.2-ish.

Is the 2019 book wrong or did Subaru decrease the sump capacity?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow for an oil/filter change and tire rotate. Just turned 6600 miles so overdue. Daughter went on a few long road trips so I am playing catchup. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. I just checked the manual and it does state 4.4 quarts. I assumed that it would be about 5 quarts line my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited 2.0 so I was wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
17 Posts
The 2019 owners manual says 4.4 qt with the filter. When I changed mine I drained it with the front raised on ramps and did let it drain for quite a while while I looked around under there. And yes I topped it off and did final check on the level. It ended up taking the complete 5 quart jug. It may have been a mm or so over the full line but close enough to me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
I normally like to change my oil myself but the dealer is providing my first two oil changes and tire rotations for FREE so taking advantage of that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Did you and the tech work together under the car LOL?
LOL @bigbird1...actually, YES, WE did! I am a Subaru Ambassador and the Service Manager lets me in the bay with the tech and we service my car together. I have become great friends with the Lead Tech as well as the SM and GM. Great to have the ability to help service my own car and they do things for me that are out of the ordinary and don't charge me for the extras.

See...you thought you were being FUNNY and caught me but I get the last laugh my friend:thumbsup:

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,124 Posts
The reduction in sump volume is intentional. Believe it or not, it is an efficiency and emissions thing.

I can't find exactly the article I was thinking of that explained it well, but this one does the job:

https://www.sae.org/news/2018/10/bp-nexcel-oil-system

I knew it.
Another stupid idea that ultimately will probably come at the expense of long term engine life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
I knew it. Another stupid idea that ultimately will probably come at the expense of long term engine life.
Actually, it should have ZERO impact on long term engine life if you just change the oil when you should and monitor oil levels to ensure you're not burning any:wink2:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Actually, it should have ZERO impact on long term engine life if you just change the oil when you should and monitor oil levels to ensure you're not burning any:wink2:

Whats the factory recommended drain interval ?

Of course I know the answer to that which is why I politely disagree.
Maybe Im just being cynical but to me it screams of another “pie in the sky” attempt to shave another small fraction off mpg.
Like the failed low friction piston ring debacle, the thin oil viscous, goofy auto stop/start…and now, less oil in the sump.
Like another member so poignantly put it about auto start/stop, if you had the option of having the less oil capacity sump, would you have chosen it ?

But hey what do we know.
I know you just bought one so I get it.
Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
I like you @DockingPilot but there are several of you that are very cynical and negative as it relates to the 19. Cars from years ago only used to take 4 quarts and they ran for 100's of thousands of miles without issue. You do what the manufacturer tells you and you should be just fine. We both know it is every 6K miles and 6K miles of FULL SYN in any car will do just fine regardless of the sump capacity. What's the big deal that the 19 sump is 0.5qts less than the 2017-2018 model? In Europe, they run their cars with 10-15K OC intervals with FULL SYN without issue. My Audi has an OC interval of 10K and the sump is 5.1 qts. I certainly think a 4.5qt sump with FULL SYN running at OC intervals of 6K miles will be just fine. It's like there are few on this board that think the sky is falling after the 19 came out and has things that most of us don't care for like Auto S/S but it is what it is and the 19 Forester is a fantastic vehicle that I am confident will survive just as long as its predecessors, or longer, with a 5.1qt sump. I do agree with one thing you said...time will tell:wink2:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I like you @DockingPilot but there are several of you that are very cynical and negative as it relates to the 19.

Ah don’t pay attention to me SG.
Im just grumpy because I have to leave our winter home in Naples for the weekend and go back to NJ. Take a look at the NY weekend forecast.
Or maybe because I just made a terrible lease deal on a 19’ Jaguar F Pace down here and took it up the wazoo.
What was I thinking??

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
189 Posts
I like you @DockingPilot but there are several of you that are very cynical and negative as it relates to the 19. Cars from years ago only used to take 4 quarts and they ran for 100's of thousands of miles without issue. You do what the manufacturer tells you and you should be just fine. We both know it is every 6K miles and 6K miles of FULL SYN in any car will do just fine regardless of the sump capacity. What's the big deal that the 19 sump is 0.5qts less than the 2017-2018 model? In Europe, they run their cars with 10-15K OC intervals with FULL SYN without issue. My Audi has an OC interval of 10K and the sump is 5.1 qts. I certainly think a 4.5qt sump with FULL SYN running at OC intervals of 6K miles will be just fine. It's like there are few on this board that think the sky is falling after the 19 came out and has things that most of us don't care for like Auto S/S but it is what it is and the 19 Forester is a fantastic vehicle that I am confident will survive just as long as its predecessors, or longer, with a 5.1qt sump. I do agree with one thing you said...time will tell:wink2:
We Subaru Australia allows 12-month oil changes and has a 5 year warranty, so I don't think they're too worried about durability with the smaller sump.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
189 Posts
On a related matter, does anyone know if the drain plug bolt on the '19 Forester is the 14mm or 17mm? I read elsewhere on this forum that some folks have had trouble getting the old 14mm's off the first time as they paint it before assembling the engine and the paint "welds" the bolt tight.

Also, I remember reading the crush washer has changed this year. Part number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
120 Posts
Can't answer your query directly, but the 17 mm drain plug has been available as a part for a year or more and I'd hope it was standard by now, since the 14 mm caused a lot of headaches, as you note. I won't go near the crush washer question--I've ranted about them enough already.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
147 Posts
I've attached a handy chart I found on the subarunet.com technical page, has oil specs and volume for all modern Subaru. Interestingly the BRZ has a 5.7L capacity, I wonder if that is to provide a larger heat sink or to prevent oil starvation under heavy cornering, or perhaps some other reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
189 Posts
Can't answer your query directly, but the 17 mm drain plug has been available as a part for a year or more and I'd hope it was standard by now, since the 14 mm caused a lot of headaches, as you note. I won't go near the crush washer question--I've ranted about them enough already.
Thanks - I am going to have the dealer do the initial oil change due at the end of March, just a few weeks before our big trip out west. I'm going to see if they can switch drain plugs and put on a 17mm head. I looked at Fumoto drains, but wonder if some kid working part time at a shop would mess it up if I have to get an oil change on the road. Maybe less likely than having them tighten the drain plug down on the old crush washer with the 8,000 ft/lb of torque setting on their impact wrench. LOL (Now retired, we have drives planned from our home in West Virginia to places like the southwest, Trans-Canada, and Alaska for the 3rd time - that's why we will probably have a few oil changes on the road)

As I do more research, I'm very impressed with the "TopSider" oil vacuum system for sucking all the oil out of the dipstick tube. I was skeptical (very skeptical) but when I watched videos of Mercedes mechanics using them, it seems to work well.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to our regular programming.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts