Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport & F60 Mini CMS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. I'm currently doing my homework on my plan to upgrade my car wheels + tires.

here's the data that I already compiled so far.

Let me know on what your thoughts.

WHEEL WEIGHT.jpeg

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
111 Posts
I don't feel like a nerd anymore making lists of tires and wheels. I'm not alone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure what your question is. It's a nice collection of data and all but not sure how to apply it because I don't know what you want. Here's what I mean....

I went through this same process 5 months ago for my 2020. First task was to compile my list of requirements before I ever made a list of wheels and tires. Of course, I also had to consider what would fit. I knew I was going to run a 17" wheel (b/c I couldn't use a 15 or 16) I knew that I was going to lift it 2" so I could go up to a 29" tire. Then, I compiled my tire list in order to see what filled my needs the best. I did rely on the Tire Rack reviews which are at least fairly comprehensive among other sources and I compared that info with my own modestly wide experience with various AT tires.

So.............why are you upgrading? and what do you want to accomplish? How important are the following? Or.....I guess how would you prioritize these things?

Weight? (matters for performance and MPG)
Off road capability?
On Road Performance?
Snow capability?
Looks/cool factor?

Another way to look at it is how I evaluated a couple (of several) tires on a scale of 1-5 based on what mattered to me. Sizes considered were 225/65/17 and 235/65/17

------------------------------Important to me?-------BFG KO2---------Firestone AT2
Weight?------------------------- 5-----------------------1-----------------------5
Off road capability?------------ 4-----------------------5-----------------------4
On Road performance?----- --4------------------------3-----------------------5
Snow capability?---------------4------------------------3-----------------------4
Looks/image,cool factor?-----2-------------------------5----------------------2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Sierra Jim, thank you for replying to my thread. Sorry it took a long time to reply because of my daily life activities and work.

I like the looks of a good A/T Tire, as they are more fitted for SK Foresters (boxy, and bigger than previoys forester's). The wheels mentioned above are my go to's. I wished Method makes 18" x 7.5, especially the MR 502 in bronze.
My taste is concave wheels. yet concavity is directly related to width and offsets.
Volk's TE 37 is like a dream. too expensive.
Work T7R is a good compromise between cost and quality. and I love dem 7 spoke looks.

so to answer to your questions,

weight = yes. i would like to stick close to oem specs. going lighter is preferable.
off road = trail only. no rocks, no muds. snow yes.
on road = if you mean by cornering perfomance. no. i have a family ;)
snow = yes. lived in phily suburbs where they are hilly.
looks / cool factor = absolutely. thats why I want to upgrade.

I know it might be an impossible task. but here are some more information if it helps.
  • I really like the 255/55/R18 continental ContiContact A/T, they are lighter than the Wildpeak Trail for the same size. But I'm afraid that in stock height, the tires will rub the inner fenders.
  • my driving style is an easy going, fast, but not too fast nor too slow.
  • And since the beginning I was taught how to drive and maintain cars, I always, ALWAYS, turn back the sterring wheel around 25 degrees (or just around 1/4 turn) after lock when I'm manouvering for parkings.. I know that corellegates to hydraulic power steering, but its a good habit to maintain.
do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Okky

·
Registered
36 Posts
This discussion could go circular but here's a stab at it. A few general things......

• Boy!.....you have great taste in wheels.....;)
  • You don't mention a lift so I assume stock. If so, I think a 29" tire that wide might be pushing it.
  • I run 235/65/17 (29") and with stock height they cleared but barely and they an an inch narrower than the 255/55/18. A very low offset wheel might help but I dunno.
  • I 100% agree with Kevin that a smaller wheel and larger sidewall is a better off road choice. (I think 17" is the safest call there)
  • 17" wheels you can get almost anything and in 225 or 235 tires.....lotsa choices.
  • Looks.......hoo boy! I think the BFG is the best (toughest) looking but it's also way heavier than most others. Also not great in snow....not bad, just not great and a pretty rough ride.
  • The tire that I chose is the Firestone AT2. It fits the performance I wanted and is the lightest 235/65/17 AT but (IMO) not that agressive in looks. But I didn't care about that.
So suggestions..................................

• Go with 17" wheels (whatever you like) I chose the LP largely b/c they are about $50/wheel less than Method and they are light.
  • Look at 225/65 (28.5") or 235/65 (29") Tires in these sizes will weigh 28-34 lbs so......pretty light.
  • Take a look at the pic below. I'm guessing you'd want a more aggressive look so maybe check out the Yoko G015 and the Pirelli Scorpion.

R Front Tire.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heavy, is all that needs to be said.
Yep! True, and it does matter. The tire I chose, (235=28 lbs) when combined with the LP wheel is slightly lighter than the OEM setup. The other two tires I suggested for the OP are heavier but still not by a ton. Yoko in 235=33lbs, Pirelli in 225=29lbs.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Yep! True, and it does matter. The tire I chose, (235=28 lbs) when combined with the LP wheel is slightly lighter than the OEM setup. The other two tires I suggested for the OP are heavier but still not by a ton. Yoko in 235=33lbs, Pirelli in 225=29lbs.
I was moving my winter get up for the season to the basement. One forgets how heavy they whole getup is. When I get a new set of tires, I might opt for some lighter wheel and tire combo.

·
Registered
MY19 2.5i-S
1 Posts
Awesome research, i do this sort of thing but i havnt done it with wheels and tyres yet. Did you end up getting the wheels/tyres?

I'm looking at replacing my OEM wheels and tyres at the moment but with money constraints might just replace my 18" tyres and then save for the next round as I need to buy 5. Does anyone know the largest size AT tyres that go on the stock 18's without rubbing?

Im going to buy a set of 17" rims down the track and use those for my offroad set-up, and have the stock 18's with road only tyres as a back-up.

Thanks, and yes, for me weight matters i'm also looking at light-ish tyres.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm so torn.. almost cant decide.

Adding Enkei PF07 to the list.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Given your wants, needs and reasons for the purchase, I believe you're overthinking it. IMO, get the wheel you like, pair it with a tire that you believe will perform well for your needs and be done with it.

As for weight, tires wear out and wheels don't. ......at least not in the sense that you'll ever have to replace them. If weight is at all a concern, I'd just make sure not to get a wheel that obscenely heavy is all.

For my '03 WRX, I went through a similar process but one of my main priorities was to reduce unsprung weight but I also valued appearance and Enkei RPF1's fit the bill at around 16 lbs each as I recall.

Reactions: OkkyM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello everyone,

Finalized my wheel.

Order placed, paid already aaaaanddd
Backordered like 60 days. 🤣🤣
Will post pics as soon as I have them Installed, either in a new thread or continue on this one if I can find it later on.

Wish me luck folks.

Reactions: FozWhitaker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Post update

Ordered Enkei PF07. But was backordered like 3-4 months. Then got news that it might be postponed again. Decided to cancel that order.

Upside is... We used the funds from that order to buy another car.

Codename is F60 Mini CMS.

A fun little car/suv!

Just a pic. IMG_20210124_125941__01.jpg

Reactions: sierrajim1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Post update

Ordered Enkei PF07. But was backordered like 3-4 months. Then got news that it might be postponed again. Decided to cancel that order.

Upside is... We used the funds from that order to buy another car.

Codename is F60 Mini CMS.

A fun little car/suv!

Just a pic. View attachment 550807
Coincidentally, I just got to take a long road trip in a Mini a couple weeks ago. Super fun little rig. You'll love it. FWIW I've got 24K on my setup now and have done a lot of snow and a fair bit of light off roading (rough dirt roads mostly) and I think I made the right wheel/tire choice. I was just in at DT about a month ago for a bad flat repair (glad to have a full size spare) and they commented that I had at least 30K left so the Firestones are a good choice. Road noise has not picked up much at all although I'm sure it will later. Only negative on the whole setup is that the MPG has dropped more than I initially thought it would but I think that's more a factor of the roof rack and all the crap I have up there.

Big shout to Discount Tire who did my pretty serious flat repair without an appointment and at N/C. I did buy the wheels and tires from them but didn't buy any additional RH coverage. They are the best!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts