Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been discussed a lot here. But I cannot find any images of what the OEM hitch looks like installed. My dealer wants $600.
Are there any advantages to the OEM. I want it to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I'm getting my 2019 Touring Bronze/Black later this week!

Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some comment that the OE hitch is painted, so rusts easy.

I have seen OE hitches bent downward.

The TorkLift is powder coated and has a 3,500 lb limit with a 350 lb tongue weight.

The Drawtite entire structure hangs down below the bumper.

The TorkLift shows only the receiver square. The 1 1/2" has the smallest exposed area.

Mine is a 2".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. I was looking at this one from Curt (curtmfg.com/part/13409).
There is not a Torklift dealer in my area. I think I'd like a 2" receiver.

·
Registered
314 Posts
TorkLift hitches must be ordered. Shipped free.

They have preferred installers all over the country. I paid $250 for installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have clarified, I can't find a view of it from the rear showing what is visible. The angle of that stock shot makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
IDN but it is box steel, the type used for building trailers, and not the stamped sheet metal that came off the Forester and was recycled. Regardless, any rear end collision is a big deal with all the plastic, foam and such used with cars. Long gone are the 5 mph bumpers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow! The 2019 eco hitch version looks easier to install than the 2014-18 version. Also way better than the OEM.

GD
Wiring was a snap, as all I removed was the spare tire foam cover and reached under the plastic, felt the wire connector, pulled it to be exposed, and plugged in the trailer connector. 60 seconds total.

·
Registered
51 Posts
IDN but it is box steel, the type used for building trailers, and not the stamped sheet metal that came off the Forester and was recycled. Regardless, any rear end collision is a big deal with all the plastic, foam and such used with cars. Long gone are the 5 mph bumpers.
At best it is half the strength of the 1470 MPa that was taken off. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_417.html

You're taking off a 5-6" wide one piece high tensile 1470MPa bumper that the crumple zones were engineered to work with and replacing it with 2" wide weaker steel with 4 welds. Go to the 2:50 mark. https://youtu.be/S6fWjFZeLKg?t=176

I'd like to see the backside of that bumper and see if crush cans were removed as well cause it kind of looks like there are crush cans built into the removed bumper.

I love the look of the EcoHitch but have a real problem taking off such a high tensile bumper that the crumple zones are designed with and replacing it.

If you threw that in your recycling bin that was a very expensive piece of steel alloy that is only used in the bumpers plates and B pillars on 2019 Forester.
The 980 MPa ultra-high-strength steel appears in the A-pillar and continues back the entire roof rail to the C-pillar. It also can be found in the main frame rail and a large floor crossmember just behind the B-pillar. The 1,180 MPa steel was used in the main frame rail sandwiched between the 590 MPa and 980 MPa steel and in the roof crossmember spanning the car between the B-pillars. Finally, the 1,470 MPa steel can be found in the B-pillar, rear bumper beam and in what appears to be the back of the front bumper beam. (The mix of 590 MPa and 1,470 MPa steel apparently found in that structure would seem to make it difficult for aftermarket manufacturers to copy the component.)
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2018/05/15/2019-subaru-forester-13-ultra-high-strength-steel-has-lots-of-standard-tech-for-shops-to-watch/

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I checked with eTrailer.com where we picked up a Curt hitch for my wife's 2018 Crosstrek and they responded that Curt is still testing their hitch for the 2019 Forester so not available for now.....FWIW!

Steve

1 - 20 of 49 Posts