Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2019 Forester with 13,000 miles. The past few times I have gone to put gas in the car I have noticed that the pump is stopping earlier than it should be as if the tank is full (when I know it obviously isn't). I have noticed that progressively with each time I have gotten gas it is stopping more and more.

For example, about two weeks ago, I went to get gas at 1/4 tank (the tank is about 16 gallons, so if it is at 1/4 tank it should take around 12 gallons) and its stopping after just 2 gallons, again at 4, again at 9, etc. Seeing this issue, I brought the car to the dealership and after diagnosing the car they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So they tried putting gas in it themselves (was at 3/4 tank when they went to fill it) and the car took 4 gallons as it was supposed to. Since the dealership was unable to replicate the issue I got the car back again.

Now after getting the car back and trying to put gas in it again, it is significantly worse. It is to the point where the pump is stopping 15+ times by the time I get to just 10 gallons. I always fill the tank when it gets down to 1/4. Not sure if this issue is only prominent when the tank has less fuel in it? I'm planning on taking the car back to the dealership at 1/4 tank of gas so they can hopefully see what I'm talking about. Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues or suggestions

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
322 Posts
Try adjusting the nozzle itself: it’s angle into the tube and distance into the tube.

My wife’s Hawkeye has the same issue. We’ve replace the filler tube as well. But we have found that some stations she has no problems so we try to use the same station and pump.

also, I find that adjusting the pressure on the lever of the nozzle to help as well. Start at mid pressure then after a while give it the beans.

sorry if I dont make sense...🥺

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,762 Posts
@MR33

There can sometimes be problems with the tank vent, because air in the tank has to vent for fluid to go in.
Reducing the gas volume you put in can help, as well as not inserting the filler all the way down.
If nothing else works, take a video of the process of putting gas in the car and show it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
478 Posts
I also notice this from time to time with any of my cars. It's gotta be that jacked up smog stuff they put on the nozzles. But also technique seems to help as well. I have found that the pumps at the ethanol free stations work the best since they don't have the boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dealership said they already checked vents/hoses for clogs and found no issues. I’ve tried pumping differently but didn’t see much of a difference. But I’ll try again and see if there is any improvement.

I just don’t understand how for the first year and a half I had the car I was able to pump gas normally with no issues but now I can’t? That makes me question if there is an issue and they’re just missing it. (I know I’m not supposed to use my phone at the pump) but I did take of a video to show the dealership when I bring it in again.

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
168 Posts
I have heard that habitually topping-off or overfilling the tank can cause such issues with venting by clogging the charcoal canister, etc.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
391 Posts
Just a suggestion / question: are you shutting off the engine before you start filling the tank? I had a 2002 cavalier that would do this only when the engine was running. I know, I know... Not supposed to do that but I was leaving the engine running for the A/C.

If you are shutting off the engine when it happens, then I would suspect a problem in the evap system.

StanF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts