Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2019 forester, the blue coolant light shows up every time i start my car. for about 3 minutes.

it's hovering around 18C here in BC... so it's not that cold by any means. i never had this light on ever for my toyota prius.

Is this normal or do i have to get this checked?

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,804 Posts
Yes, the blue light is normal even when outside temps are moderate. Basically, I try harder not to put my foot into the throttle very hard until the blue light goes off, and for a few minutes after that. It's all good.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
430 Posts
Normal on Subarus for the blue light to be on for the first few minutes/miles. Don't try to compare it to a Prius, or really any other vehicle. On a Subaru, the blue light means to take it easy on the gas pedal. Blue light off means you can stomp it to your heart's content.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
489 Posts
@ Even_Stephen My '19 Sport goes out at 89 degrees. Normal. 89-100 degrees IMO is not warmed up enough to "stomp to my hearts content". But that's just me.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium and 2019 Impreza Hatch
385 Posts
I have noticed mine also goes out pretty quickly...Usually really close to leaving my subdivision.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
633 Posts
Even though my car predates the blue light indicator of engine temperrature, I let my car idle/warm up for 3 - 5 minutes (summer - winter) first start of the day. Engine works better, imo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same on my 2017 once the engine cools down, even in the middle of the day. I haven’t owned it in the summer yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple years ago, we took my MIL to buy an Impreza. She was scared to drive it home, so DH did. Sales person showed us everything before we left and Dh showed her stuff and told her to look over the manual.

Fast forward a week and I call her asking how she likes it. She said the oil light was on- she couldn’t drive it. They must have forgotten to put oil in it... She was going to have it towed to the dealership.... I get nervous as we recommended a Subaru... After a couple hours, it dawned on me. I stated my Forester and took a pic of the dashboard and sent it to MIL. She saw it and said I had low oil too. No, it was the coolant light.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
19 Posts
Perfectly normal. My '15 Forester has that, also. It's just telling you the engine is not up to operating temperature. Generally, when or a little before it goes out it starts to put out some heat. This indicates to me it is running off coolant temp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes it is normal.
Will be instead a PITA if it starts to blink red and blue. This means a fault!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,019 Posts
I had a 2005 Scion xB with a similar feature, and a 4AT that would not shift into 4th until the blue light went out. So "blue light = cold engine" was already familiar when we bought our 2015 Foz.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
558 Posts
From the 2019 manual...
  • Illumination in BLUE indicates insufficient warming up of the engine.
  • Blinking in RED indicates that the engine is close to overheating.
  • Illumination in RED indicates overheating condition of the engine.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,017 Posts
The light is based on COOLANT temperature, not oil temperature. The blue light remains illuminated to indicate the coolant temperature is below a certain COOLANT temperature. I don't recall the exact temperature, but a quick search of THIS forum shows 122F as the setpoint, which makes sense to me.

IME, oil temperature always lags coolant temperature while driving gently while the engine is cold (i.e., while the blue coolant temperature low indicator is lit).

Asking questions is great, but please make sure to search before posting questions that have been answered before. A quick Google search would have answered your main question: "is this normal" in less than one second.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,017 Posts
@ Even_Stephen My '19 Sport goes out at 89 degrees. Normal. 89-100 degrees IMO is not warmed up enough to "stomp to my hearts content". But that's just me.
I don't "stomp to my heart's content" until the OIL temperature is at least 150F unless I need to. There's a short on-ramp to a busy part of an interstate highway near my house; I'm usually at 120-150F by the time I get there, based on ambient temperature and how gently I'm driving. I tend to drive more gently when the temps are low; combine that WITH the fact that temps are low and my oil temp doesn't get very high before I need to gas it to get onto the highway. It is what it is.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
56 Posts
as stated above, blue oil light = engine oil temp too cold. many people still drive with the blue light on until it turns off. no matter the weather or anything, i always let the Forester idle until the blue light is gone (longer in the winter, shorter or non-existent in the summer). i was also told by some Subaru tech's that the blue light is even more important for the turbo Forester XTs, which makes sense since cold oil and fluids going through a hot turbocharger is a recipe for disaster (which i believe is both liquid-cooled and oil-cooled)

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,608 Posts
The light is based on COOLANT temperature, not oil temperature.
Yea I only said oil temp bc my blue light goes out when my OIL temp is 100. As I recall..oil temp leads coolant temp. And of course oil temp can get much hotter than coolant temp. I don't know if oil temperature is indicated on non XT's.

I did not realize that this light blinks red if the engine coolant is approaching overheating and solid red if it IS overheating.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.