Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 19 Forester Premium about 2 months now with about 3500 miles. I love 90 percent of the driving experience and the last 10 percent is driving me crazy. I'm coming to terms with the CVT, but don't think I'll ever get used to it's quirks. I'm finally learning to to push 2 buttons to get started. (Start and auto shutoff cancel).
I've had a rattle in the Eyesight panel since day one anytime I'm driving on a rough surface road. My dealer states its a known problem and they have had a part ordered for the last 2 weeks. We'll see if the new part fixes it. Also since day one, at highway speed (60+ mph) I'm getting noise from the area of the outside rear view mirrors. I initially thought it was either a air / wind leak around the window seal near the mirror, but not so sure now. One theory is that it is just the design shape of the mirror housing in relation to the body, causing excessive wind noise. Now I'm not so sure....... I've found that the top black plastic trim over the small triangle window on the forward part of the side driver and passanger windows is loose. If I take my fingertips and tap on them (both left and right side) they rattle / vibrate). The rest of the window trim over the large window is tight. I think it is quite possible that they are both vibrating at hightway speeds causing the noise. When I'm driving in gusty wind conditions I can actually hear the noise change depending on the direction of the wind. I plan on trying to cover these areas with painters tape when I have time to see if it changes anything. Anyone out there have any similiar experiences? In the mean time, I'll try to stay focused on the 90 percent..................:)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
Here is a photo of my 2019 Premium:

I have nearly 9,000 miles and it seems to rattle a bit more each time I drive it.

Joking aside, here is a longer thread on the topic:

That thread included the TSB information for the EyeSight rattle. The EyeSight cover was redesigned.

I also posted about road debris finding its way into the front door trim:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Just noticed 2019 Sport has something rattling inside passenger door. Recently returned from a road trip that included driving on gravel and dirt logging roads. Will report back after determining what is making the noise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is also TSB for rattling in the doors. It is included in the first thread.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
162 Posts
I was commenting to the wife a few days ago about how tight and rattle free this '19 is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My eyesight cover has rattled since day one. When I brought it in they said there was a service bulletin on exchanging it.
I then had brought it in for another issue and during the test drive my eyesight system went out. They had to exchange the whole camera assembly.
Bringing this up, because it might be related.
I also have transmission problems. Really expected it to be a better and more reliable car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My eyesight cover has rattled since day one. When I brought it in they said there was a service bulletin on exchanging it.
I then had brought it in for another issue and during the test drive my eyesight system went out. They had to exchange the whole camera assembly.
Bringing this up, because it might be related.
I also have transmission problems. Really expected it to be a better and more reliable car.
Thanks for the feedback Tobi. I scheduled an appointment for the Eyesight cover replacement next Tuesday, 9/17. I'll post the result. I just drove a 250 mile trip today, much of it at hightway speed and the vibration noise near the exterior driver mirror is driving me crazy. The black trim just over the small triangle window is loose when I tap it and I'm convinced this sets up a vibration at speed. I also noticed that the black plastic base of the mirror itself is loose and not secured to anything. I also am very disappointed in these problems. I've owned many new cars over the years both American and Japanese (never a Subaru), and never had this much aggravation right from the start. Stay tuned and Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Just noticed 2019 Sport has something rattling inside passenger door. Recently returned from a road trip that included driving on gravel and dirt logging roads. Will report back after determining what is making the noise.
Stones in the lower door trim. Could actually see them via the drain holes located in the bottom of the plastic door trim. My local Subaru dealer removed them at no charge.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Stones in the lower door trim. Could actually see them via the drain holes located in the bottom of the plastic door trim. My local Subaru dealer removed them at no charge.
Do you know how they removed them?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
The door panel must have been removed because the technician forgot to reconnect the wire to the mirror. When starting the vehicle to leave. the instrument cluster showed the info icon with the BSD not active. Also the power mirror would not adjust. Went back into the shop and remedied the issue by reconnecting the wire.

I may have been able to fish the stone out of the drain hole with a wire hook but I went to the dealer pretending I was unsure of the problem. Let them figure it out.

My question is, how do the stones get in there + how can I prevent it from reoccurring?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my 19 Forester Premium about 2 months now with about 3500 miles. I love 90 percent of the driving experience and the last 10 percent is driving me crazy. I'm coming to terms with the CVT, but don't think I'll ever get used to it's quirks. I'm finally learning to to push 2 buttons to get started. (Start and auto shutoff cancel).
I've had a rattle in the Eyesight panel since day one anytime I'm driving on a rough surface road. My dealer states its a known problem and they have had a part ordered for the last 2 weeks. We'll see if the new part fixes it. Also since day one, at highway speed (60+ mph) I'm getting noise from the area of the outside rear view mirrors. I initially thought it was either a air / wind leak around the window seal near the mirror, but not so sure now. One theory is that it is just the design shape of the mirror housing in relation to the body, causing excessive wind noise. Now I'm not so sure....... I've found that the top black plastic trim over the small triangle window on the forward part of the side driver and passanger windows is loose. If I take my fingertips and tap on them (both left and right side) they rattle / vibrate). The rest of the window trim over the large window is tight. I think it is quite possible that they are both vibrating at hightway speeds causing the noise. When I'm driving in gusty wind conditions I can actually hear the noise change depending on the direction of the wind. I plan on trying to cover these areas with painters tape when I have time to see if it changes anything. Anyone out there have any similiar experiences? In the mean time, I'll try to stay focused on the 90 percent..................:)

OK.............HERES THE LATEST UPDATE:(

On 9/17/2019 I brought my 19 Forester Premium back in to the dealer to have the Eyesight Panel replaced with the re-designed one due to the rattle/vibration. (TSB # 12-269-19). On the drive home after the replacement, the rattle had actually gotten WORSE! My patience was gone for the day, but I immediately phoned my service advisor and advised her of the issue. I was advised that the dealership was down 2 technicians for the week as they were out at school. (Maybe to learn about rattles in the Eyesight panel?) I was asked to bring the car back next week. Well.............. I was at the dealer today (9/20/19) to have the Subaru OEM trailer hitch installed, and saw my adviser. I told her that I noticed that the small black sub-panel surrounding the moon roof switch was in fact loose and was probably the source of the rattle. After the hitch install, she took the car back to the service bay and was back in about 10 minutes. She stated that they had placed black felt tape on the inside and side surfaces to dampen any vibration. I could actually see the edges of the felt sticking out......what a bonus. After a short test drive, the rattle is still there. I'm scheduled to drop it off again next Wednesday. I am losing my patience though. My thoughts now is that there is a wiring harness or wiring terminal setting loose on top of the panel causing the noise. I'll update after next Wednesday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK...............Soooo, I had to leave my 19' Forester at the dealership for 10 days to get the rattle in the EyeSight panel corrected. And again, this was my 3rd attempt to get it corrected. I was told that after several technicians worked on it, ultimately it was found to be a "loose screw retaining the passenger side map light". All I know is that the rattle is no longer there. This would have been easier to take if I had been given a loaner car, but again I was denied one by the service advisor. Upon getting my car back, the Service Manager told me I should not have been denied a loaner. No doubt, there is a disconnect of information at this dealership......but I'm just happy that the rattle is gone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts