Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Forester 2.5i Limited CVT Ice Silver Metallic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Subaru owner -- looks like a really great forum!(y)

My 2019 CPO Forester Limited (purchased 3 weeks ago) has no sound coming from the rear speakers.:(

Yesterday was first time I had someone in rear seat and was asked to make rear speakers louder.
Adjusting the fade to rear speakers using sound settings cut the front speakers to a tiny whisper with nothing coming from rear speakers.

Fronts sound fantastic (HK 9-speaker upgrade w/Nav), so the quiet rears were not noticed previously.:oops:

Anyone have any suggestions (other than take to dealer) on what might be a quick/simple fix without having to take to dealer?
I have already tried the re-boot of Infotainment system (push volume button & hold for at least 10 seconds) with no difference.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
452 Posts
The HK amp can be finicky. If it senses a power surge it can cut output to all speakers. I have not heard of problems where the rear door speakers alone were muted. Nonetheless, the solution to reset the amp from surge protection is a hard reboot. Disconnect power ground from batt, wait full 30 sec then reconnect and start the car. Then try the sound system again.

Report back your findings, I am curious what the problem is.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reply & suggestion - very much appreciated!
Not sure if I will have time this evening, but I will try the power disconnect tomorrow or Thursday.

BTW -- this morning I had some sound coming from the driver-side rear speaker. Sound was quite 'tinny'. No sound from the passenger-side rear speaker.

Also, before seeing your reply, I had found a similar issue on the Ascent forum. Some folks there had no sound whatsoever, but used your suggestion to restore sound. Some folks had a recurrence, some folks not. Those with recurrence had their HK amp replaced by their dealer. Another suggestion was to disconnect the amp's plug closest to passenger as that plug carries power to the amp.

So I disconnected that plug at lunch time, came out 5 hours later and re-plugged. Same situation -- tinny sound from driver-side rear speaker but nothing from the passenger-side rear speaker. I also listened to the subwoofer and could hear some output.

As I was leaving work parking lot, there was a loud 'crack' sound -- like an electrical arc -- that seemed to be coming from the front passenger seat.

At this point, I am thinking the amp is at fault and will make a service appointment to get it replaced.

I will still try the battery disconnect, but I am not optimistic. I will post results when available.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HK amp is located under the front passenger seat. The power plug is the plug closest to the passenger door (it is the smaller of the 2 plugs). You can see and access the amp's plugs from front of the passenger seat. A little easier to access if the passenger seat is pushed back as far as it will go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.... I am thinking the amp is at fault and will make a service appointment to get it replaced.
@vtdog Exactly - that was my comment a couple of posts up ^^^
Being armed with some troubleshooting info when going to dealer service department is pretty valuable and better than just saying "it doesn't work". ;):)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
179 Posts
There are a couple of Subaru TBSs regarding the amplifier. Your dealer should be aware of these, but it might be worthwhile to look them up first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HK amp can be finicky. If it senses a power surge it can cut output to all speakers. I have not heard of problems where the rear door speakers alone were muted. Nonetheless, the solution to reset the amp from surge protection is a hard reboot. Disconnect power ground from batt, wait full 30 sec then reconnect and start the car. Then try the sound system again.

Report back your findings, I am curious what the problem is.

Cheers,
Scott
Hi Scott (and anyone else who is interested),

I tried the battery disconnect test. No difference from results when I disconnected the power plug on the HK amp.
Results were same for both tests:
  • Driver-side rear speaker now producing some output, although it is tinny and seems weaker than fronts
  • Passenger-side rear speaker is totally silent (no hiss)
  • Sub-woofer seems to be operating as it should
And there was a loud 'crack/pop' sound a few minutes after I started the car -- might be something shorting in the amp.

I have a service appointment for Monday and will advise service department of the TSBs related to HK and other user comments/reports on this forum.

Will update the thread when I get a resolution or other info.

Thanks to all who have responded.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest update --
Dealer's service department just called and advised that they have ordered a new HK amp for me. :)
Estimated timeframe is 4-5 days from their supplier.

I was quite pleased that I received no grief/pushback/BS from service advisor. (y)(y) Upon intake about 90 minutes ago, I mentioned the TSB (and had TSB# in-hand), so adviser searched TSBs for '19 Forester, saw the appropriate TSB, and opened it.

Will post another update once the replacement amp is installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update -- replacement HK amp arrived at dealer & I have an appointment for next Thursday (13-Feb) to have it installed.

Not clear when, exactly, the part came in. Service advisor told me on 27-Jan that it would arrive in 4-5 days. I hadn't heard anything, so I gave them a call this afternoon, they checked, and "part is in". :cautious: Good thing I followed-up. :)

Will post back after the install is done.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
452 Posts
I think I saw a servie bulletin regarding the HK amp not sowrking in some cases. I hope it fixes the problem and I look forward to the update. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for this helpful thread. You are not alone. I'm having the exact same issue with my 2019 Forester with HK system. No audio from rear speakers only. Fronts and sub seem fine.

I took it into the dealer to have them check it out and they said it was the rear speakers and ordered new ones. I'm convinced it has more to do with the amp over the speakers themselves but they seem to think otherwise. Car goes in this Wednesday for the speaker replacement so I'll be sure to update this thread with the results.

Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott -- looking forward to your results. In my case, I got "some" sound out of rear driver-side speaker AFTER I pulled power plug from HK amp (under front passenger seat) for a few minutes. But then the sound goes away, sometimes comes back.

I told dealer that others had reported similar issues due to bad HK amp. I also pointed service advisor to the TSB regarding sound issues (with troubleshooting steps). They ordered new amp with no pushback whatsoever. Hopefully your dealer followed the same troubleshooting steps and their results indicated that the speakers were bad but amp was good.

Good luck with the speaker replacement!

BTW, my service appointment is now on Friday (due to a work conflict I had to move it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rear speakers were replaced yesterday. There is sound coming out of them now but they don't sound strong like the fronts do. Very quiet, like they're missing their low-end. There's a real noticeable difference in the type of sound (quality) between the fronts and rears when adjusting the fade front to back. The rears themselves sound under-powered and "tinny". I really wish I could compare them against another Forester. Maybe the dealer would let me do that in the showroom or something.

How did yours go today Steve? Good news I hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear speakers were replaced yesterday. There is sound coming out of them now but they don't sound strong like the fronts do. Very quiet, like they're missing their low-end. There's a real noticeable difference in the type of sound (quality) between the fronts and rears when adjusting the fade front to back. The rears themselves sound under-powered and "tinny". I really wish I could compare them against another Forester. Maybe the dealer would let me do that in the showroom or something.

How did yours go today Steve? Good news I hope.
Hi Scott (essdeeoh)...I literally just got back from the dealer with a "good new/bad news" story as the service advisor put it.

They installed the new amp (the good news), but it then "blew out the rear speakers" (the bad news).

A new set of speakers have been ordered. How long will that take I asked? I was told "only a day or two because those come from Subaru whereas the amp comes from the amp manufacturer". Since I live less than 2 miles from the dealer, I asked if I needed to make another service appointment, or just swing by and wait to have them done. "Oh, you can just swing by".:cautious:

I also checked the amp under passenger seat -- it is the same amp that was in the car this morning. I know this for a fact, since I marked the label with a dot and that dot it still there.

So, I called back the service advisor and asked if the original amp was put back in. He said yes, because they didn't want to put the new amp back in until they had the replacement speakers. Their thinking was that the blown-out speakers could cause a problem for the new amp. Interesting logic. :rolleyes: I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but I would think whatever happened to the new amp when the speakers blew out would already have caused damage/issue with the new amp. We will see. I am expecting to get this resolved sometime mid-late next week.

Regarding your new speakers -- great news that you are getting some sound! In my original post, I had mentioned that after disconnecting power to the amp for 30 mins and re-connecting, I DID get sound out of one speaker -- though it sounds 'tinny'. But -- that might be normal for the rear speakers. I had seen somewhere on this site that the fronts are 2-way speakers but the rears are not. Maybe someone with specific info on that will read your post and comment.

Also, when I originally brought car in 2 weeks ago for the sound issue, I tried to listen to a showroom Forester with the HK sound system. Sales guy was willing to let me listen -- but the car's battery died. Nothing was working on that car.

But I will sure try again to give a listen to a showroom (or other model). If you are successful in listening to another HK sound system on a Forester, please post back.

I'll post back when I have the rear speakers replaced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts