Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My wife has a 2019 Forester Sport and I recently bought some second hand 2019 WRX rims to use with snow tires. Now that the new tires have been mounted and installed, it seems something is amiss with the TPMS. The guys at the tire place can't seem to get it to take. Their tool can read the sensors just fine but the programming to the car doesn't seem to work. TPMS seems to be a constant struggle and I feel like every season I always need to take at least one car back to get them reset a second time, but this time they just can't seem to get it no matter how many times they try.

So now I'm beginning to think I may have bungled this myself. I'll admit I didn't really do much research on the sensor compatibility (not even sure where that information would be found). I just kinda assumed that being from a 2019 Subaru they would work. The sensors I use for snows in my 2015 Crosstrek came from a Forester of similar vintage, and the sensors in my wife's snows on her 2016 Impreza came from a Forester I think too.

So I guess the question is...
Did I mess this up? Will sensors from a 2019 WRX work on a 2019 Forester? And where would one even find this information? Things like the wheel and tire sizes are clearly outlined in the brochures and what not (for good reason), but I don't see any specs for the TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
303 Posts
The two vehicles use different sensors. The WRX is 315 MHz, the 2019 forester uses 433 mhz

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
303 Posts
Well crap. Where would one find this information? I feel like a bonehead.
  1. I did some Google searches. A site with the type required for each vehicle found several sites. This one is the easiest to search. tpms247.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I assume my only option (other than ignoring the alert) is to buy the correct sensors and pay to have the damn tires re-mounted?

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
303 Posts
So I assume my only option (other than ignoring the alert) is to buy the correct sensors and pay to have the damn tires re-mounted?
You are correct

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
303 Posts
Last question, since I'm obviously not very will versed in TPMS, will any sensor work as long as it's the right frequency, or are there other factors I need to be aware of?
I believe that it is just a frequency thing. Your supplier will look up your needs.
this is from the search for 2019 Forester tpms:
Vehicle Fitment: 2019 Subaru Forester | 433 MHz | IM4770 Aftermarket Replacement

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
191 Posts
There's more to it than that. The car can only store one set of sensors, you'd need a TPMS sensor tool (looks like an OBD2 scanner) to switch sensors.
Or what i did instead was have the stock sensors cloned. Then you won't have to buy the TPMS tool to switch them. Cloned TPMS sensors are more expensive $70 vs $47 from Tirerack, but IMO worth it for the convience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts