Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hook up my phone and Start Android Auto (the new look). If I have radio playing everything is fine. But if I'm listening to music on my phone, podcasts or even Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM or other streaming radio the audio is either in mono or just plays out of the front speakers (I'm not sure which). Sometimes if I unplug and replug the cord it starts working correctly, sometimes nothing I do fixes it.

Any ideas? Is it a Starlink headunit issue, Android Auto, or cord issue?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try swapping out the cable. Unfortunately I've had the issue before and after the headunit update. Was mainly wondering if anyone else had this issue (if so, then it most likely isn't the cord).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
I haven't had that issue specifically, but at times it sounds like Google is only responding to me from the front left speaker. When I play music or podcasts, it has been normal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Waze only speaks through the front left speaker. I'm sure that's on purpose and I like that.

Unfortunately I tried a different cord an I still have the issue. I've got my first oil change at the dealership this Saturday so I'll add it to the list to ask about.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to the service guy and he'd never heard of the issue. They search TSBs related to my issue and still nothing.

When I got home I decided to try an official Samsung cord (couldn't try mine as it's usb-c on both ends, so I borrowed my son's) and low and behold it worked fine. I tried it 4 or 5 times and worked each time!

Looks like I'll be buying an overpriced official Samsung cord. They did mention that with Apple devices you should use the official cord as there've been issues with other brands, so no surprise it's also an issue with Android.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
308 Posts
@justjeepin If the cord is certified for use with a certain platform, it should work just fine. I use Apple and only use Anker cables. They are Made for iPhone(Apple) cables. Never had an issue.
I cannot speak for Android-based phones or cables but it seems that the majority of Android users fix issues with a simple cable swap.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@justjeepin If the cord is certified for use with a certain platform, it should work just fine. I use Apple and only use Anker cables. They are Made for iPhone(Apple) cables. Never had an issue.
I cannot speak for Android-based phones or cables but it seems that the majority of Android users fix issues with a simple cable swap.
Yeah, I just switched to Android a few months ago but previously with my iPhone, I was ok with using an Amazon Basics USB to lighting cable. I may try an Amazon Basics or better name brand (Anker, Belkin, etc.).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought an Anker brand and it works great no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts