Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone in NZ has ever bought a tyre from Oz?

Tried ebay australia but it won't even let me email the seller!

I'm after one (1) Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport 225/55/18 98V. Apparently, possibly only 4 in NZ and about $450.

Any means of getting one from Oz to here?

Anybody ever bought from the US with Youshop? How much to ship over?

Many thanks.

KSN

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
785 Posts
I don't know if dealers have any restrictions, but here's the e-mail address for Bridgestone Select Stanmore - Annandale (NSW): [email protected]

$315 comes up after you select the dealer by entering Annandale (NSW) to set your preferred store.

Same price from Bob Jane T-Marts: DUELER H/P SPORT 225/55R18 98V | 225/55R18 Tyres for sale

This one from Tempe Tyres is really cheap ($185), says "demo":
"We deliver the vast majority of our products around Australia and New Zealand to residential or business addresses only."

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Plus
47 Posts
I'm also from NZ. Why are you interested in Dueler's? My car (2019 Sport Plus) came with them and they had to be replaced last month after only 20,000km. Another new car I had which came with Bridgestones Dueler's also wore out before the 20 thou mark. I had Carters replace them with GT Radials, which in theory should last 60,000 and are 1/2 the cost.
I just don't think the Dueler's are value for money and there are much better tyres out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Grant Glazer
Hi there,

Wanted to get a Dueler because I have one at 7.5mm tread, so still newish. I'm only trying to replace the other Dueler which is at 5.5/6mm and my local Subaru says it's not of rolling circumference tolerance.

In time, I will replace them but can't fathom wasting still fresh tyres...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Plus
47 Posts
In that case, check with Carters Tyres if you have one locally. The guy at my branch (Te Awamutu) told me he could get the Duelers if I really wanted them. The price he quoted was the same as you were though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Grant Glazer after reading your first post I rang up my local and will head over there tomorrow! Thanks.

Thought they would shave but he didn't seem keen on that. Also he didn't think the 1.5mm tread difference would be such a big deal...

Will ask them to repeat the rolling circumference measurement to be sure; my Subaru dealer does not do tyres!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one from Tempe Tyres is really cheap ($185), says "demo":
"We deliver the vast majority of our products around Australia and New Zealand to residential or business addresses only."
Hey! I don't know how I missed the last line, they should ship to NZ but when I phoned up they didn't seem sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Plus
47 Posts
Just one thing to think about: Is it worth replacing just one tyre? In 6 months to a years time you may need to replace another 2 or 3, then one later on etc.
One Dueller will cost you $450, compare that to my bill which was $889 for 4 new tyres of a longer lasting make and a wheel alignment. Actually I just went in for the alignment because the dealer couldn't do it during the service but since the dealer had advised that I would probably need 2 new tyres before the next service, decided to get the lot done.

An even cheaper option is to get them to swap the tyre off the spare wheel over? You would still be out of order with tyre wear but it will probably only cost $50 or so.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks @Grant Glazer they tyre saga is a long one, see my other thread!
In essence I have 2 new (replaced) front tyres and 2 old (came with the car) back tyres with a lot of life left in them.
It would be gutting to bin the lot of them though I might be short-sighted in my thinking.

Not noted the GT Radials praised on here, are they good? Which series did you go for?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Plus
47 Posts
Not sure how good the GT's will turn out to be as I've only had them on for a month, but it is a good well known brand (maybe not so much in the US thus the lack of comments on them here).

Went with the Giti4x4 HT152's. I wanted a long lasting tyre which had a more aggressive tread then the Duellers but I didn't want to go as far as a true A/T tyre. I live in Kawhia which is fairly rural and even the highway in is rough for a paved road and didn't have any confidence in the "slicks" that where the Duellers. So far I they have been great even in torrential rain and despite the tread I haven't noticed anymore road noise. Of course time will tell.

·
Registered
6 subies in, current '02 jdm XT SG Forester
290 Posts
Something to note, subies hate odd Tyre sizes. Iirc the spec sheet states no more than 5% rolling diameter difference for manual and like 2% for autos or you can do some serious center dif damage

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something to note, subies hate odd Tyre sizes. Iirc the spec sheet states no more than 5% rolling diameter difference for manual and like 2% for autos or you can do some serious center dif damage
That's what's worrying me really.

I now likely need 2 Ecopias to round off the set, aaaand, there's none in NuZelund apparently; they are OEM fitment or summink.
Either that or can the lot and get 5 new tyres same. Significant chunk of change but tantalizingly cheaper across the wee pond in Oz....

·
Registered
6 subies in, current '02 jdm XT SG Forester
290 Posts
That's what's worrying me really.
Tbh it sounds like its time to just throw a set of correct size tires at it and call it a day. There's no point trying to retain 'oe' tyres when there are significantly better milage tyres available for much much less cost than oe ones.

(As a side note, I don't think I've ever used oe tyre specs, except for legality paperwork and research lol, I'm about to throw some 215/75r15s at an '02 SG XT lol)

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
77 Posts
Just bin the Duellers and get something worthy of the car. Unbelievable that Subaru insult the car and the customer by fitting such trash. I have 5 x 225/60r17 Duellers sitting in the basement replaced at 10000km by 225/65r17 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus from Tyroola. Cross rotate your tyres every 8000 km to 10000 km and you will get even wear.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
77 Posts
@Gavinbaker Trash :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't mind the Duelers tbh.
I see you went to 17s for your car, any reason in particular?
I dislike low profile tyres so I had Wingers swop the 18 inch for 17 inch which then gave me more options for ATs. The 225/65 ratio gives another 1/2inch of rubber. It gives a softer ride on gravel roads. I also have an SLO 1.5 Inch lift so total lift of 2 inch over standard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts