Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 1K miles I'm getting about 22-23 mpg driving mostly rural roads and often using Adaptive Cruise Control. The StarLink App has been stuck on 25MPG from day 1, so that isn't too helpful. I remote start the car in cold weather but I'm interested to know what people are getting for MPG and what they are doing to increase their gas milage--or are the "official ratings 26/31 29 overall" due to expert drivers on straight roads and highways?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,785 Posts
Mileage numbers are done according to specified procedures. I would guess it might be done on test stand.

You should easily be able to beat rated mileage. Use less gas and less brake. As an example my XT gets 23 mpg but if I try, I can exceed 30

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,482 Posts
After about 1K miles I'm getting about 22-23 mpg driving mostly rural roads and often using Adaptive Cruise Control. The StarLink App has been stuck on 25MPG from day 1, so that isn't too helpful. I remote start the car in cold weather but I'm interested to know what people are getting for MPG and what they are doing to increase their gas milage--or are the "official ratings 26/31 29 overall" due to expert drivers on straight roads and highways?
If you encounter many stops, it's going to reduce your mileage as most of the fuel used gets you up to speed, and that is essentially wasted when you come back to a stop. That's why the EPA rating for city driving is lower, but many stops reduce your mileage regardless.
Tire pressure and tire type (some have more rolling resistance than others) and the weight you carry also affect your overall mileage.

For an AWD car, the Subaru is relatively efficient, but since there is more running gear, a 2WD vehicle of the same type (not an option with the Forester) will nearly always get better mileage because of the reduced weight and relatively more efficient drive trains.

As @adc pointed out - Probably the most significant impact is how you drive.
Regardless of vehicle, easy on the gas and brakes makes a big difference.

The Forester is a tall car with a lot of wind resistance in it's profile, so its mileage is more sensitive to driving at higher speeds than most.
Above about 50, the mileage will start to degrade with significant losses over 65 mph.

As far as EPA numbers - You might find this interesting.
For most cars, the EPA rating is supplied by the manufacturer.

"How Vehicles Are Tested
Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a series of tests specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory."

You can read more at https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

The site also has fuel saving tips, most of which you now already have.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I posted this in another thread. The Feds need to do a better job educating consumers. Nothing about the number are there to indicate what you're going to get in the real world- just too many variables.
That's why the tests are run on rollers inside. It's also winter now and winter fuel lowers MPG

The numbers are for comparison ONLY between like vehicles. These aren't figures that you're supposed to be getting out in the real world.

Straight from the Feds:
Final rule that set new methods for calculating fuel economy label estimates posted on window stickers of new cars and trucks for model years 2008 and beyond; and to require fuel economy labeling for medium-duty passenger vehicles beginning with the 2011 model year. These estimates help consumers compare the fuel economy of different vehicles for both city and highway driving. This new rule makes three important changes.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
My XT has been averaging 23 mpg for the past 3,000 miles. It has been to two different dealers for a oil leak both times I have gotten a loaner. The first a 2019 Forester Sport did 300 miles got 24.9 mpg. The second was a 2019 Forester Limited so far 181 mile 26 mpg.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
I'm getting a bit better than 26 with a base model for the first 600 miles. It seems like I do a couple of MPG better in our '18 Outback, with the same driving style. Mostly rural roads. The Outback's up at about 30,000 miles though, so the difference may be break in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
10 Posts
We have a 2019 Limited and have averaged over 30 MPG on our first 3 fill ups. The weather has been quite warm, here in Florida, and that probably helps quite a bit. Very satisfied with the car in general and the MPG in particular. Our driving has included some freeway but mostly local (<55mph).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
9 Posts
I get about 27 MPG highway in my 2019 Sport with 1700 miles on it. This is at an average speed of about 80 MPH (the speed of the interstates where I live). I don't doubt that that this vehicle could get 30+ at 60 or so MPH.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,785 Posts
I get about 27 MPG highway in my 2019 Sport with 1700 miles on it. This is at an average speed of about 80 MPH (the speed of the interstates where I live). I don't doubt that that this vehicle could get 30+ at 60 or so MPH.
Easily

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
74 Posts
2019 Forester Premium ~ just under 2,500 miles.

Last tankful (mostly around town driving): 26 mpg

Longer trip (450 miles each way, mostly highway): 31.8 mpg

I mostly avoid engaging the automatic Stop/Start engine feature (which I dislike) by modulating the brake pedal when coming to a stop -- so I'm getting no help there.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
310 Posts
You can check what others on Fuelly website (and you can easily join to keep track):

2019 Subaru Forester MPG - Actual MPG from 53 2019 Subaru Forester owners

Being a relatively new car, there are not a lot of owners reporting yet, but 53 vehicles seem to mostly be in the 24-28 MPG range for overall average.

We are getting around 26-28 MPG City and 30-32 Highway, with 28 MPG overall on our '19 Forester base. This is with lots of hills and moderate traffic with lots of stop lights. Actually better mileage than we get with our '13 KIA Soul 1.6 Automatic.

·
Registered
14 Forester Cvt
26 Posts
AS/S

So interesting how many people don't like the start stop feature. It's the first car we've owned that has it, and I think it is great. It doesn't bother me at all when it engages/disengages. Just saving a tree and a dime at a time at the pump. ha It's fascinating to me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
1 Posts
2019 Forester Sport

I am getting 26-28 while city driving. I went on a small out of town trip and got 35 miles to the gallon. I am still working out the feel of the gas pedal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
74 Posts
The sub-zero temperatures of the Polar Vortex over the last few days dropped the around-town mpg in my 2019 Forester Premium from 26 mpg to 19.8 mpg.

Brrrrr...

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
74 Posts
So interesting how many people don't like the start stop feature. It's the first car we've owned that has it, and I think it is great. It doesn't bother me at all when it engages/disengages. Just saving a tree and a dime at a time at the pump. ha It's fascinating to me.
I don't mind the stop. It's the Forester's shake on the restart that I don't like.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
270 Posts
BTW ... try changing setting for AC to ECO
i think its affecting MPG and how "Active Grille Shutters" work...

·
Registered
2019 Touring Forester CVT
45 Posts
I'm getting 28 MPG according to the number on the dashboard, but when calculated it is 27MPG. (I don't like that it isn't accurate).

With just over 700 miles on it so far, I drive 75% highway speeds, where there are maybe 1-3% grade hills on occasion on Interstate 20 between 70MPH and 75MPH. I'm happy with that number, but always looking to improve it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
If you run the car for 10 minutes before getting in to warm it up, that definitely doesn't help the mileage. I'd start by getting in and starting the car cold and taking off within a minute or so. Gentle acceleration from stops would be the next thing I'd add in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts