Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've held off posting until the car had a chance to break in but the display registers 2 to 3 mpg more than what I'm actually getting.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,345 Posts
I recently did an manual calculation comparison on my wife's Crosstrek. Exagometer indicated 33.3 mpg since last fill up; my manual calculation indicated 30.0 mpg.

On my 2018 Forester...Exagometer indicted 33.9 mpg since last fill up; my manual calculation was 32.1 mpg.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
162 Posts
I assume you are calculating this based upon odometer readings and amount of gas when you fill it up. I'm not saying you are incorrect in what you are saying but calculations are all dependent upon miles driven being accurate (which depends upon tire pressure and temp) and gas stations also accurately measuring what the sell you.
Advertised gas mileage is also based upon ideal driving conditions etc.
I guess to me being 1-2 mpg off doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume you are calculating this based upon odometer readings and amount of gas when you fill it up. I'm not saying you are incorrect in what you are saying but calculations are all dependent upon miles driven being accurate (which depends upon tire pressure and temp) and gas stations also accurately measuring what the sell you.
Advertised gas mileage is also based upon ideal driving conditions etc.
I guess to me being 1-2 mpg off doesn't surprise me.
Yes, miles driven and gas bought at fill up. Granted the fraction at the end of the fill up won't be identical every time but not enough of a difference to account for 2/3 mpg for the whole tank-full. I'm not really complaining as the mileage is considerably better than my '99 Forester, just disappointed.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
Not really because what it said I was getting was more than the car is advertised to get and I know they would never understate the mileage in advertising. ;)
According to the EPA website:
"Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine."
When tests are done, they are performed inside a building on a dyno, and fuel usage is determined by the tailpipe emissions, not the fuel used.... hardly representative of anything found in the real world, but then all it is supposed to be is a consistent test for COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY...
About the only reason to not travel to fantasyland when reporting efficiency, if enough people complain about overstatement, the company gets whacked..
A couple of weeks ago, VW paid out $97,000,000.00 for their overstatement.
If you do a search on "what happens when cars have overstated mpg numbers" you will find that fact, along with a host of other offenders, including GM, Kia and Hyundai.
Ford has a REALLY big lawsuit pending litigation.
All that is for the sticker reported numbers.
The automakers never advertise that the mpg displays are accurate, in fact nearly every owner's manual will have verbiage that basically says the @ForesterBill "Exagometer" is there for entertainment purposes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts