Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
534 Posts
CVT Foresters with FA20DIT turbo engines have TR690 transmissions
sorry, you're right of course; I lost the context of the thread with your one particular statement not restating the specific model year

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@whobodym ,I understand what you're saying. Not sure I agree 100%, but it's possible.

Anyway, I have absolutely no safety concerns with exceeding the 150 lb US "limit" by 30-40 pounds should I one day graduate from my mountain and road bikes to a heavy e-bike.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
7 Posts
Different countries have a different % of their tow rating for tongue weight. Here in NZ we have a maximum of 1500kg (3300lbs) braked tow rating. I have a OEM tow bar fitted which says a max tongue weight of 150kg. Australia has 1800kg and 180kg tongue weight. We are both 10% but places like Europe can have 3-7%. I don't know the US % or if it varies by state.

The tow rating varies by country, not because of any differences in the vehicles (Aust 19+ Forester is the same as the NZ one which is the same as the US one) but by how different countries use different methods to calculate the tow rating. Things like speed limits, terrain, and comparisons to other vehicles etc. For example although Australia has a higher max speed limit in most states, their average terrain is nowhere near as hilly as it is in NZ.

Fitting a transmission cooler in the US models will not increase their tow rating at all. They are left off simply because the US tow rating is so low they will never be needed. The US model is just as capable of towing 3300lbs as the NZ model but of course insurance, warranty, and legality will be affected.
View attachment 545194
I’m not sure I follow the logic of your last statement: “transmission cooler will not increase the tow rating at all”. I’m not familiar with the math of towing limits but I have to imagine keeping a transmission cool under a heavier than normal load has to be a factor. The extra cooling capacity would help it continue to work without overheating wouldn’t it? Thus increasing the capacity?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
534 Posts
I’m not sure I follow the logic of your last statement: “transmission cooler will not increase the tow rating at all”. I’m not familiar with the math of towing limits but I have to imagine keeping a transmission cool under a heavier than normal load has to be a factor. The extra cooling capacity would help it continue to work without overheating wouldn’t it? Thus increasing the capacity?
The emphasis in the statement you are questioning is on "RATING" - which means a numerical limit set by the manufacturer for their own combination of reasons. Obviously you will never get written approval from Subaru of America to tow heavier trailers merely by installing a transmission oil cooler. It's pretty clear that US model Foresters could be given higher trailer weight limits without any engineering changes at all, if Subaru decided the marketing benefits offset the increased warranty costs. (On the other hand, most other countries don't have 10-mile-long 7% freeway grades with 80mph speed limits and 100degF temperatures...)

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
61 Posts
Most after-market Class III, 2-inch hitch receivers are rated for 525 lbs (~ 240 kgs) tongue weight. Even some Class II, 1.25 inch receivers are rated for 350 lbs (~ 160 kgs).

The Hitch doesn't determine the vehicle limits, the vehicle does.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think if you read the posts preceding the one you quote above, you’ll see why he posted the info. He’s not saying the hitch rating establishes the vehicle limit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The transmission cooler would only be needed near the upper physical limits of the CVT. Since the US tow rating set by Subaru of America is so low the CVT will never be near the stage of needing transmission cooling. The Tow Rating is not set by Subaru the manufacturer in Japan and the cars designers, instead it is set by each countries "wholesale" company (like Subaru of America, or Subaru of New Zealand in my case) using what they think is suitable for the terrain, speed limits, regulations etc that is specific to their country. Oil temperature would only be taken into consideration if the other factors of the rating allowed for a rating high enough that temperature itself becomes a factor.

For example my Forester has a maximum tow rating of 1500kg. Lets say with the first 1000kg the oil temperature would not need to be cooled. But if I tow 1200kg then CVT would be working hard enough that the cooler would be needed. The US tow rating is only 750kg so cooling would never be needed. Adding a cooler may match your cars physical towing capabilities with mine, but your tow rating would still stay at 750kg and your warranty, insurance, and maybe legality (depending on your countries laws), will still be effected if you tow over 750kg.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
39 Posts
Silly question -- I'm assuming I'll be towing a trailer fitted with brakes, and I see all kind of reference to "7-pin" connector for braked trailers.

Does our Forester have that ? Or, how with our Forester towing said trailer, do we provide power for lights, turn signal activation, and brake application ?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Etrailer.com sells plug and play kits that plug into a connector behind one of the rear panels for a flat four connector. They also sell kits for what you need, but then it gets a bit more involved. If you’re comfortable wiring things, I’d give etrailer a call and they can step you through your options.

The website lists many many kits, but none are plug and play as far as I can tell.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts