Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife says our 2019 sometimes "lurches" when preparing to stop. Foot off the accelerator, just starting to apply brakes. Anyone have a similar problem? Our 2011 Legacy didn't have this problem. I've read all 226 entries in this category and didn't find any other complaints relating to this.

Secondly, at startup in a warm garage, the engine starts at 1800 RPM. Isn't that excessive? It eventually drops to 750 RPM.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2 Posts
I’m having the same issue with the lurching in my ‘19 Sport. When this first started happening (around 7500 miles), it seemed to occur when I would be off the accelerator and attempting to turn (usually uphill) and is worst in the 20-40 mph range. As time has passed, I’ve also noticed this lurching between 40-60 mph; however, it’s not as violent at higher speeds. My RPMs stay consistent, but the car “bucks” for lack of a better term. I have also noticed the high RPMs when I start the car and then it seems to settle in. Sorry I have no answers, but wanted to let you know I’m having similar troubles. 😩

My wife says our 2019 sometimes "lurches" when preparing to stop. Foot off the accelerator, just starting to apply brakes. Anyone have a similar problem? Our 2011 Legacy didn't have this problem. I've read all 226 entries in this category and didn't find any other complaints relating to this.

Secondly, at startup in a warm garage, the engine starts at 1800 RPM. Isn't that excessive? It eventually drops to 750 RPM.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
933 Posts
My wife says our 2019 sometimes "lurches" when preparing to stop. Foot off the accelerator, just starting to apply brakes.
At about what speed? If at around 15 mph/25 kph, then it is the torque converter unlocking. All the CVT Foresters do to it to some extent, but it seems to be more noticeable in the 2019s.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
Any suggestions?
My '99 does that, but I prefer that engine operates initially at lower rpms, so found this method. Three or four seconds after engine start I shift from park to neutral to park (rapid); this clearly tells the engine computer I'm driving off and rpms drop to 1050.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just when applying brakes the manifold pressure drops slightly as the braking system uses manifold pressure for its vacuum assist,this may be interpreted as lurching. The higher start up revs is to bring the car to correct operating temp asap, then settles to normal revs when up to temp. This saves fuel and ensures better running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
Since it is a '19 why don't you just go to dealer for warranty work? Seems like the simple answer to me. My '19 does not have this issue

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
The higher start up revs is to bring the car to correct operating temp asap, then settles to normal revs when up to temp. This saves fuel and ensures better running.
FWIW.

The higher start up revs is to bring the catalytic converter to a functioning temp within the two minutes that EPA specified in it's test protocol of ~40 yrs ago, then engine settles to normal revs when up to temp. This allows multi-vehicle standardized testing (apples vs apples) at a test shop location.

·
Registered
364 Posts
These two threads should be merged.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my wife's 2019 Forester Limited. Doesn't seem like a new car should be doing this. I don't believe it's normal for the CVT as some think. When we test drove the Forester the one we drove did not do this. Thanks for the info on the NHTSA. Hopefully Subaru takes care of the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Any suggestions?
Normal as far as my 2019 sport

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is completely normal. I'm not sure where it does it. Feels like a brake boost or the throttle plate slamming shut.

I had three CRVs 17-19. They do the same thing. It does feel quite awkward especially when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
4933 Forester
18 Posts

Any suggestions?
Yes Mine does that also. Service claims they can not reproduce it. I don't think they tried to.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Any suggestions?
The problem happens because the the amount of air goes to engine to enough and you need to change OEM denso engine air filter with K&N filter, it will be reduce jurcking/lurches more than 70% and the acceleration become smoother and quite it was annoying for anew car because I own Hyundai Santa Fe 2014 V6 it's totaly diffrerent from subaru forester an it will be the first and last Suabru in my life :D.
if you want to buy a new Forester 2019 just check Hyundai Santa Fe 2019.
K&N AIr Filter Subaru Forester 2019
K&N AIR Filter 2.5L engine
33-5064 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER

K&N Air Filter 2.0L Engine
33-2304 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER

·
Registered
207 Posts
The problem happens because the the amount of air goes to engine to enough and you need to change OEM denso engine air filter with K&N filter, it will be reduce jurcking/lurches more than 70% and the acceleration become smoother and quite it was annoying for anew car because I own Hyundai Santa Fe 2014 V6 it's totaly diffrerent from subaru forester an it will be the first and last Suabru in my life :D.
if you want to buy a new Forester 2019 just check Hyundai Santa Fe 2019.
K&N AIr Filter Subaru Forester 2019
K&N AIR Filter 2.5L engine
33-5064 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER

K&N Air Filter 2.0L Engine
33-2304 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER
This post doesn't make any sense. Idk whether to laugh or flag it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This post doesn't make any sense. Idk whether to laugh or flag it.
I dont know if you have Subaru Forester 2019 or not but there is many problem in Forester 2019 I already bought K&N air filter if you dont belive it it will not harm you but have Forester 2019 become nervous day after day and lurches happens alot while driving in village at low speed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts