Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No drilling, only had to cut some plastic to expose some bolts exactly like the video they show on their website. LP has their own plates that bolt right in as its their system. Fits perfectly. If you need a skid... use their plate, its there system designed to go together perfectly. My experience dealing with a lot of aftermarket stuff (Professional Campervan Builder) is you are always best to a system designed to go together. This easily is put in with simple tools in under an hour very easily. Its exactly as they advertise. Really nice product. Can't get any easier than this in my opinion and would cost you a lot more to make something unless you are a fabricator and want to spend two days building. This bar bolts in the existing mounting points in the Forester. 4 bolts and it's in. Crazy easy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Glad somebody got that on. Been wanting to see it on the car itself.

Looks like they made another sale. Let LP know, see if they can give you a next purchase discount. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Closer photos of the light I used. These are Hella Valuefit 500 Driving lights. I find these are great quality, solid brand and at a reasonable price. You can find cheaper; but not at this quality, Hella is a solid brand and I liked the size...it was just about right for the look I was going for. I have these as well on my Sprinter. Super bright driving light for off road use. As mentioned I had to drill out the holes a little bit more. These lights are all pre-wired with weather connectors. You may have to modify the switch to work in the cab. I haven't yet run the wire into the interior yet, only got around to wiring them up to the outside and battery. Have to figure out how to cleanly run the wire through the firewall. Once I do that I will likely make a post on the install for these lights covering how I ran the wires cleanly.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive exterior

Automotive exterior Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Bumper

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Sport
65 Posts
Nice setup. I'm reluctant to add any aftermarket lights to my 2019 Forester Sport because I had a terrible experience before. Basically I forgot to turn off my fog light and it drained my car battery. The installer didn't know how to make the fog lights work ONLY while engine is running. Is your setup allows the lights on only while the engine is on? Since these powerful lights uses lots of battery power, it makes sense to have them on only while engine is running.

·
Super Duper Admin Guy
2,969 Posts
In my `13XT there is a rubber grommet down in the footwell to the right of the gas pedal. It is covered insulation already cutout. That is where I ran a power cable for my amp... :thumbsup:

... Have to figure out how to cleanly run the wire through the firewall....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nice setup. I'm reluctant to add any aftermarket lights to my 2019 Forester Sport because I had a terrible experience before. Basically I forgot to turn off my fog light and it drained my car battery. The installer didn't know how to make the fog lights work ONLY while engine is running. Is your setup allows the lights on only while the engine is on? Since these powerful lights uses lots of battery power, it makes sense to have them on only while engine is running.
Then that 'installer' shouldn't be anywhere near anything as complex as a Lego set.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not hard to do the set up to the ignition, the hardest part is finding a wire that is for ignition on or at least key on and wire that to a relay switch; I am not going to however as I don't see I would leave them on since they are not fog lights but driving lights; not legal for the street. To be honest its mostly for looks as I wouldn't likely be doing any serious off roading where you would need these; I would have purchased a 4runner for that. If you had fog lights for sure you would wire them up to the relay/ignition on. With the new car electronics today; you have to be very careful how you wire stuff up; you can really play havoc with your car computer by just tying in like you used to in the old days to an ignition on. Want to make sure you consult a wire diagram/upfit guide from Subaru and tap into a wire specifically designed for an ignition on for accessory. I leaned this the hard way on the newer cars out today, really have to be careful so you don't end up having to have your computer reset or worse costing you a bunch of money.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my `13XT there is a rubber grommet down in the footwell to the right of the gas pedal. It is covered insulation already cutout. That is where I ran a power cable for my amp... :thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip...been so busy building other peoples Campervans haven't had time to even look; sure it won't be any big deal, I do a lot of car electrical for campervans so I will look where you suggest. Once I figure it out I will post details so others can do the same set up. I already found an easy way to run it to the battery...so now I only have to run the switch to the inside and a place to put the switch that is out of the way an doesn't hack up the dash.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running the wire on the bar with the Hella light kit requires no splicing or complicated work. Ran the wire harness under the car up to the battery, then through the firewall (already has a rubber grommet) above the gas pedal, then the 3 way switch to the fuse panel. I used a different switch than what came with the kit as the round ones I use require a simple round hole that is easy to drill with a step bit. Super easy. No soldering, wire cutting, or anything complicated. Accent and driving lights all work. Can't get any easier than this. Easily one of the easiest light installs I have done.

Brass instrument Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Bumper Car

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior

Auto part Metal Automotive lighting Vehicle Engine

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Suspension Carbon

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Technology Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2017 FXT
83 Posts
I'm really digging the aggressive, but subtle look of that LP Light Bar. Nice choice on the lights, too. Your build is making me enjoy the 2019 model year more and more.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since it came up; this is how I hooked up the light relay to the ignition turn on. (so lights don't come on unless I have the key to acc on) I used a 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder and put it in a non used position on the fuse panel. Then tapped that power to the in power on the three way switch I had. Easy as can be. Now the lights don't come on unless I have the key in. No drained battery.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Wire Electronic component

Floor Flooring

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
666 Posts
Very nice work. Do you have the LP lift kit on this car too? BFG KO2 tires? Lets see a picture of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts