Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Spor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my 2019 Forester a little over a month ago, haven't even broken in the engine yet, and yesterday, as I was in the turn lane at a stoplight heading to work, I crept forward, and stopped because of traffic, and the car behind me crept forward and didn't stop. Thankfully it was just a love tap, but the corner of her hood took a small bite out of the bumper and left a few marks. Man, I was pissed with it still being brand new practically. Stayed calm though, just waiting on her insurance to get back to me for repairs. The other driver was very apologetic, and admitted to myself, and the police officer that she just was not paying attention to my car at all and thought I took the turn.

From what I saw on this forum, and the way people drive around where I live, it could have been a lot worse. Heck, as her and I were well off the side of the road waiting for the police, there were dang near several other much worse accidents just because of impatient people.

Needless to say, a few hours later I bought a dashcam with front and rear cameras.

Only visible damage, repair shop estimated the cost at just under a grand to replace the bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be working fine from the few self performed tests, but honestly not sure if my own tests actually did anything haha. But yea, unfortunately, the auto shop I went to told me they won't know till they get it in the shop. And in order to do that, I either have to pay my deductible, and have my insurance company handle it, and wait to be reimbursed, or just wait to have the other driver's insurance handle it.

Unfortunately, with the holidays coming up, and a lot of travel I have to do, I can't spare the money to pay the deductible, so I gotta take the long route.

I'm just glad that that the collision was no more than 5mph.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
198 Posts
I'm just glad that that the collision was no more than 5mph.
Make sure to ask for “diminished value” for your car. With Car Fax so prevalent, the value of your car just dropped like a rock (especially being brand new) because it will now show up as being in “a crash” and many will shy away from it not knowing how minor. The insurance company will fight it claiming they have no idea how much it can affect the value it until you actually sell it. You want to be made whole at the very moment of the accident. Your own insurance company may be able to help you get a value.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
89 Posts
Bummer. I feel your pain, man. As others have said, it could have been a lot worse. I got tapped at a red light in my Crosstrek, and the damage was over 3 grand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure to ask for “diminished value” for your car. With Car Fax so prevalent, the value of your car just dropped like a rock (especially being brand new) because it will now show up as being in “a crash” and many will shy away from it not knowing how minor. The insurance company will fight it claiming they have no idea how much it can affect the value it until you actually sell it. You want to be made whole at the very moment of the accident. Your own insurance company may be able to help you get a value.
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think about that.

Good news is, sensors aren't messed up, and the other driver's insurance is taking full responsibility. It'll be a grand for a small little quarter sized mark.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
181 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think about that.

Good news is, sensors aren't messed up, and the other driver's insurance is taking full responsibility. It'll be a grand for a small little quarter sized mark.
Well its a grand because the whole bumper needs to be replaced and painted? That's pretty cheap considering my BMW that needed a rear bumper replaced cost me $15,000. lol

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,167 Posts
Whatever happened to bumpers that could actually take a bump? It's no wonder why auto insurance is so expensive....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts